Forums Latest Members

Clear Sapphire AR Coating vs Old Blue Hue AR Coating.

1. delmarco Dec 21, 2016

I prefer the older Blue Hue Sapphire AR coating to the newer clear AR coating. I know the Planet Oceans (see right below-Seamaster Pro Co-Axial 600m) were the most famous of the pre-2008 Omegas to come with the blue-ish tint on the AR coated Sapphire (my Old Speedy Mark 40 had the blue hue AR as well). The blue hue adds a nice sparkle that makes the watch look much more expensive when worn.

bdpocloseupkl31.jpg

I know the new clear coating is more resistant to wear and scrapes but I miss that special sparkle of the older AR coating.

CLEAR AR vs BLUE AR:
    antireflet-chrono.png
    QUESTION: Is there a way to get the older coating either done to my Speedmaster or get a crystal replacement for a Speedmaster with the older AR coating?

Whenever I see replacement crystals sold online there is little reference to what AR coating, if any, that they have.

I also know that Omega SA will not backtrack and use the older AR coating anymore.

Picture below shows my older pre-2000s Speedmaster with the blue hue AR coating:
    omega ar tint blue.jpg

Versus my newer post-2000s Speedmaster with the clear AR shown below here:

14681692_10154682872972704_1387964816166764135_n.jpg

A picture of Blue Hue coated AR crystals!
    bluearlens.jpg

Edited Dec 21, 2016
  2. Canuck Dec 21, 2016

My understanding is that the AR coating is oxide of fluorine. Maybe there might be a way to have this re-done? This is used in high quality optics of all sorts. And perhaps other applications as well. A place to start, perhaps?

3. delmarco Dec 21, 2016

Years ago when Omega switched to the clear AR a couple of folks mentioned that to get the blue hue AR they had to go to the optician to get the crystals re-coated for around 40 bucks.

a8d76ea510db157350ea6dc4bb88ef2b.jpg

Also on the Audemars Piget forums there is a guy that used to do this for members there for around $80.

Problem is you have to either remove the crystal and ship just the crystal or ship your watch out and hope some optician knows not to lose it or mishandle your watch and also know how to remove watch crystals in an opticians lab.

I was wondering if there was a DIY AR coating kit or spray you can buy online? I believe the blue AR was ONLY on the outer coating on the older watch. Which is why when the watch got damaged or old the coating's damage was visible.

4. ulackfocus Dec 21, 2016

There's always a way to get anything done. You just have to pony up the $$$$.

delmarco likes this.