Forums Latest Members

Omega Geneve Date Linen Dial c1961. Crown specification information needed

1. Samdia Oct 11, 2017

Hi,
    i want help regarding opening the crown and movement from the case... I want to open and clean the dust particles in the dial. Can you please guide me or provide me a link ....Please help.. You guys are doing awesome job...
    Thanks and Regards

image2.JPG image3.JPG
  2. TropicConnie Oct 11, 2017

If you're unsure how to remove the crown, I'm not sure you should be cleaning dust out of a watch. Take it to a watchmaker, they'll do the job while you wait.

François Pépin likes this.
  3. Canuck Oct 11, 2017

The dial is only a small part of your problem. The case has LEAKED, and there is verdigris showing on the inside perimeter of the case, and I think I am seeing signs of rust. I suspect the “dust” you are seeing on the dial is corrosion which will not clean off. Too nice a watch to mess around trying to do a home handyman repair. You might end up with a watch needing a very expensive repair. If it is worth doing, it is worth doing well. Have it professionally done, or shelve it until a future date.

jumpingsecond, Samdia and chipsotoole like this.
  4. chipsotoole Oct 11, 2017

There are youtube videos showing you how to take the crown out of various types of fittings. It is relatively straightforward, but you should perhaps practice a bit on a cheap watch before you go barrelling in with an Omega ...and go very slowly with it...There's a sickle shaped fork thingy (no idea what it is called..and not sure if it is only in automatics)) that is invisible and can easy detach during the process and rattle about inside forcing a revision anyway.
    As for cleaning. That dial marking at the edge between 4 and 5 suggests it isn't dust. Listen to Canuck.

Samdia likes this.
  5. Samdia Oct 11, 2017

Thank you,,,Canuck,,,, and chipsotoole
    Yes i appreciate the way you explained, so i just clean it from outside and put on a leather strap... Good to go for showing good time)
    But can't change the date ,,, i tried ...may be the crown is broken.
    Any suggestions?
    Regards and Thanks

FullSizeRender.jpg
  6. Samdia Oct 11, 2017

I mean the date changes only with changing hands,,, not separately

7. Canuck Oct 11, 2017

There is a feature on the date change that you should know. Advance the hands until the date changes. STOP. Back up to 8:30. STOP. Advance til the calendar changes to the next date. Repeat unti the date is correct. Then be sure to set to correct time, AM or PM. The crown is not original. It has leaked. If you are interested in preserving and actually using the watch, have it professionally attended to. It needs work before you use it.

Samdia and chipsotoole like this.
  8. chipsotoole Oct 11, 2017

I don't think these models had any kind of quickset date...that's how you set the date back in the 50's ...Either try and keep it current or forget the date...winding through half a month will knacker things up pretty quickly through heat friction. old watches need a bit of TLC. If you must advance it, pause for a few minutes after three days advancing or so.
    I'd still pay for a service though!

Samdia likes this.
  9. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 11, 2017

Samdia likes this.
  10. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 11, 2017

Sorry for the double tap, but what I wanted to ask was if the same date advance procedure might work on a Tissot Seastar Seven Visodate automatic?
    On my watch I was under the impression that I had to advance the day by turning the hands.
    I know similar movements were used by Omegas and Tissot watches in the fifties - to seventies. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Samdia likes this.
  11. Canuck Oct 11, 2017

Worth a try.

Samdia likes this.
  12. Samdia Oct 13, 2017

Thank you all.. for your valuable opinions... i will give it a try and share
    Regards

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 13, 2017

Later Seastars have the quickset date function.
    But I think your Visodate may be earlier.
    So you can try the '9-12' option.

Spruce likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 13, 2017

Since this is a Cal. 610 it will not have a quick set - however the Cal. 613 does have the quick set feature...

15. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 13, 2017

Thanks for the advice. I have an Omega 613 and a Tissot 2481, both of which have a quick set, but I'll try the 9-12 option on the above Seastar Seven and report back at some stage.

16. Samdia Oct 14, 2017

Hello everyone the date winding technique works... Big thanks to Canuck!!! and others.
    Just want to explain my situation.. the watch has travelled from France to India. And i would like to clean the dial and want to gold plate the case from jewellery shop. But in India not easy to find a watchmaker of that standard. I am almost close.. but need help from you all,,,i removed the crown safely and both the screw i have marked in pic , but unable to remove the movement from case. Can you please help me in this...
    I am already grateful to all of you...

REGARDS

New Note.jpeg
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 14, 2017

If the screws and tabs are removed just place a watch cushion over the watch, turn it over and give it a light bump. The movement should be on the watch cushion when you lift the case.

How did you remove the crown, did you just unscrew it?

If so you need to remove the stem.

I think you need to consult a watchmaker.

Samdia likes this.
  18. Samdia Oct 14, 2017

The crown and stem are push type( There is a small button on the movement near the crown) ... its was easy.
    But I tried to remove the movement after unscrewing... i turn it over and tried,, no luck.
    Thanks

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 14, 2017

The only other option is to remove it from the front of the case after removing the bezel/crystal.

Samdia likes this.
  20. dx009 Oct 14, 2017

Sometimes the movement is a stuck in the case and needs a bit of help but you have to be very careful not to scratch or damage any of the components.
    You could try rotating it just a little bit to free it, just in case there's some gunk or debris between the dial and case.
    Just to be sure, have you removed the two small metallic tabs and screws first ?

Samdia likes this.