Forums Latest Members
  1. dodo44 Aug 31, 2016

2. dx009 Aug 31, 2016

I think hodinkee is ripping people off again... :confused: But that is a beautiful case design...

KingCrouchy likes this.
  3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Aug 31, 2016

For one thing, the signature is awful. I also vote redial.
    awful.JPG

4. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 31, 2016

The buyer of this watch is an ignorant sap. That is all I have to say.

5. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Aug 31, 2016

The statement below would suggest that the dial has not been scrutinized very thoroughly.
    dddk.JPG

KingCrouchy likes this.
  6. dx009 Aug 31, 2016

I would say that there are very high chances that the buyer of this watch is unfortunately a victim of marketing.

It's not an excuse but, when people pay large amounts of money for items bought from entities that seem "legit" they probably don't expect to buy something dubious in nature.

Not to mention the fact that many (if not most) people don't know a thing or two about watches but they want one, and some even have to money to acquire expensive watches.

Sadly Hodinkee is pretty much just a watch reseller with a very good marketing budget.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 31, 2016

A blatant redial IMHO. Signature tilted to the side and uneven, subdial indexes inconsistent.

Edited Aug 31, 2016
    KingCrouchy and ahartfie like this.
  8. lethalwl Aug 31, 2016

Hi everyone,

Thanks for following the Shop, and I apologize for not including a picture of the movement in the listing, we did not reach the picture quality we hoped for those this week.
    I have attached here my own pics here, including the inside of the caseback, it is homemade but useful, the engravings are crisp.

I am not sure I agree with you regarding the redial option but that is what makes vintage watches interesting. I would love to see comparable examples and I am happy to modify the listing accordingly if we reach a definite conclusion there.

And as for the indexes, the picture is unfortunately very harsh with them, in the light box we could not have all the indexes lighten up at once. To correct that, we would have had to touch up the pic, which we do not wish to do, as we prefer to give the raw image and have the buyers get even more happy when he/she receives the watch. In real life, they are nowhere as dark; in my opinion, the condition is consistent with the aging of the dial but I let you disagree.

Best,

Louis

Longines 6037 caseback.jpg Longines 6037 movement.jpg
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 31, 2016

Among the may things I learned from you folks.....BEWARE REDIALS ... and NEVER pull the trigger without input from members. (Especially with Longines and UG)

10. dodo44 Aug 31, 2016

Thanks Louis for the extra pictures. Most fancy lug Longines of this kind were cased in the US (I guess this catered to the local taste). The swiss made case are usually more elegant, and this one falls in this category. I still think that it is a redial, as is most evident in the irregularities in the logo font.

Syrte likes this.
  11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 31, 2016

"Longines" appears applied with a rubber stamp having lettering clogged with dust. As a young teller 40-something years ago I obtained similar results when whacking the back of a check with a general endorsement stamp.

12. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Aug 31, 2016

I'm for a redial as well. Lots of inconsistencies in this enlargement
    Screenshot_2016-08-31-15-32-55.png

KingCrouchy likes this.
  13. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 31, 2016

Louis,

The watch is in all confidence a redial. The reasons cited above will hopefully convince you of that. But if you are not convinced, let us know and we will continue to provide evidence until you are satisfied.

Hopefully you will let the buyer know this, too. I'm sure he will be sour with you if he founds out later, down the road.

14. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Aug 31, 2016

It is not the darkness of the indexes that suggests oxidation but the inconsistency of the darkness.
    darkness.JPG

KingCrouchy likes this.
  15. dx009 Aug 31, 2016

Everyone (us & them) knows that it's a redial. In many cases, people just don't want you to know that or hope that whoever buys the item is not a watch enthusiast. It's as simple as that.

Do I have to spell it ? M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G. Sometimes marketing is all about deceiving or presenting information in such an order and manner that you "omit" certain aspects or you influence the buyer into buying despite various potential flaws.

I don't know if Louis is a representative of Hodinkee or anything but I personally think that they should have just kept it going down the road they've been going towards (it's not the first listing of this type...). Now we risk creating an even greater ruckus... It might get the listing modified with more honest information but if they wanted to be like that from the beginning they would have done it since they knew very well what they're selling.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  16. ulackfocus Aug 31, 2016

That's an older redial. 100% sure it is NOT factory original.

17. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Aug 31, 2016

GuiltyBoomerang, Syrte and dodo44 like this.
  18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 31, 2016

Amen.
    The faulty "Longines" signature in the OP watch is not a matter of ageing, it's a matter of execution.
    As far as I can tell, this dial (mounted on a 27M movement), even with all of its patina and ageing, has a proper and perfectly crisp Longines logo.
    (which the Ebay listing allows to magnify when you hover over it with the mouse).

[​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.fr/itm/VINTAGE-MENS...106342?hash=item27e06f2aa6:g:1dUAAOxykmZTPB9tPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Edited Aug 31, 2016
    KingCrouchy, Larry S and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  19. ulackfocus Aug 31, 2016

Um, that's a redial too. The SWISS MADE is way too high and at a tighter curve than the arc of the dial - a surefire sign of refinishing.

Just to be sure, let's get some other opinions...... @gatorcpa @Tony C. - care to take a look?

hotsauz likes this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 31, 2016

Pretty sure it is a redial. Not really seeing any similar watches to that one out on the web.

The original example is a redial for sure. The quality of the printing is not up to Swiss or American factory standards.
    gatorcpa