Forums Latest Members
  1. Helvetia History Dec 9, 2018

Hello all,

I have come into possession of a copy of the above. Below are the front pages of the Omega section. If anyone is interested I can also post the pages with the movements themselves. Hope you find it of interest.

Thanks. Carl.

Omega.jpg

Omega 1.jpg

2. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Dec 9, 2018

I would definitely be interested in the other Omega pages! Thanks for posting.

KingCrouchy, airansun and OMTOM like this.
  3. François Pépin Dec 9, 2018

Me too! Thanks

4. Helvetia History Dec 9, 2018

Ok. I wasn't sure if people would have seen it before.

I was interested in the 1939 and 1949 editions as they contain Helvetia which is my main interest and a reprint of all 3 is available for over £200. I thought I'd look on ebay and found an original 1936 edition in good condition for £29 so I thought it was worth buying it just for general interest.

The images are scanned in pretty high res so you should be able to click on them and zoom in to see the detail. If anyone is interested in other brands let me know.

Omega 2.jpg

Omega 3.jpg

Omega 4.jpg

Omega 5.jpg

Omega 6.jpg

Omega 7.jpg

5. airansun In the shuffling madness Dec 9, 2018

Fascinating. Thank you for posting these.

Maybe Rolex, UG, Longines too?

6. OMTOM Dec 10, 2018

Considering Omega’s history, this is an interesting piece from the classic vintage period. Dated 1936, one has to allow a bit of ‘lead time’ – so understandably it doesn’t include movements that had just been introduced (such as the 23.4).

Furthermore, it doesn’t include movements that originated as Lemania (as did the 321 later!) but were integrated into Omega’s range (such as the 28.9 CHRO, 33.3 CHRO or 53.7, all of which dated from 1932/3).

However, it bridges some of the newer movements (such as the 12.6, T12.6, T17, 26.5, 37.5, 38.5 and 39 CHRO) which replaced the older/original movements (such as the 9’’’, 12’’’ 18’’’ CHRO and 19’’’ CHRO). In fact it’s a bit surprising to see these older movements listed because they were no longer shown in the catalogues by this time.

Tire-comedon likes this.
  7. Helvetia History Dec 11, 2018

The introduction to the book says it has two purposes. Firstly to provide a survey of the Swiss watch industry, secondly to allow watchmakers and parts suppliers to identify movements and get the correct parts. There is an exploded diagram and parts list at the front so with the calibre ref and part number you should be able to get the correct part.

Because of this I'm sure they have tried to include any movement that a watchmaker may be working on, even older ones. Not all manufacturers are in there though so I don't know if they chose the most common or if there was some sort of subscription to be in the book. Later editions have a larger range and includes adverts. The intro also mentions how impossible it would be for a watchmaker to keep track themselves of all the individual catalogues and they have therefore compiled them into one book.

8. OMTOM Dec 11, 2018

Understood. But then you would expect to see Cal.39.5 included (which didn't appear until 1917, considerably after some much older calibres that are included). And if it comes to it, even the 47.7.

9. MCC Dec 11, 2018

Very cool , thanks for sharing.