Forums Latest Members

SOLD Classic Vintage ROAMER Stingray Chronograph – Valjoux 726

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 31, 2019

Well boys and girls, it's time to let go of one of my favorite chronographs. Some members way recall that I have used this chronograph at times to illustrate what I consider to be a superb design, and also terrific value in the market.

Undoubtedly one of the most desirable of all vintage ROAMER models, the Stingray chronographs came in two sub-dial versions ('Pasadina' and 'Jet-time'), with oversized cases, and this classic three register version. There were two slightly different dial and hand-set combinations offered, and in my opinion this one is the best of them.

These were powered by the iconic Valjoux 72 movements from 1969 into 1973, then with the improved 726 during their final year and a half of production.

This example is in excellent overall condition.

The stainless steel case measures just shy of 37mm x 43.5mm. They are substantial enough to work well on a normal sized wrist, but also on a smaller wrist, like mine. The top and sides are brushed, and there are fine, narrow, contrasting polished chamfers framing both the top and bottom of the case. While subtle, these chamfers make a world of difference as they catch the light and make this style of case far more attractive than they are without the detail.

One of the reasons that I consider these Stingrays to be an example of superior technical design and value is that the cases are a waterproof push-out style. In other words, the case is one piece and the movement and dial are pushed out through the top for service after the split-stem has been removed. So while I obviously cannot guarantee water resistance in a vintage watch, these were originally designed to be waterproof to a depth of 120m, which is both impressive and unusual for a chronograph.

The case is in very good to excellent condition, with only light scratches from normal use apparent under magnification.

The dial is in superb condition – near mint, I would say – and it is gorgeous. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that it is absolutely one of the most attractive, and best-designed chronograph dial ever produced! The dial itself is a rich, dark blue, which contrasts beautifully both with the silver sub-registers and red chronograph hands. Roughly 75% of the sub-registers are finished in a circular Guilloche pattern, while the outer rims are flat. This has the effect of adding depth to them, as if they were slightly inverted pie-pans. It's a very cleverly conceived detail, and attractive. PLEASE NOTE: my photos do not do the dial justice, and the next owner will find that it is much more attractive in person. Guaranteed!

As I've mentioned more than a couple of times on related threads, I consider these type of sports chronographs to be real tools, and assess them as such. ROAMER certainly took their design seriously, and their chronographs were used by the late Swedish rally driver Björn Waldegård, winner of the 1969 and 1970 Monte Carlo Rally in a Porsche 911S. He won many other major events as well, and partnered with ROAMER in advertising for the Stingray chronos.

The dial design of these chronographs allow the user to focus almost instantaneously on the chronograph hands, as the red jumps out so clearly. Another more subtle design cue that I get a kick out of is that when the chrono functions are reset, the red second-hand does not obscure either the small red ROAMER icon, nor the text, which is offset to the right. So, in contrast to the vast majority of chrono dial designs, this one features an offset signature which looks refreshingly clean when the chrono hands are at rest.

The hand-set is also excellent, and all of the original lume is intact. The original signed crystal has a couple of scratches, but is in very good condition.

The valjoux 726 was, I believe, the final iteration of the outstanding, (V72) workhorse caliber. There are good reasons why they were used in the Rolex Daytona, top end Heuers, and other high-class chronographs. This movement was serviced about four years ago in Switzerland, and is working very well. Both the winding and pusher action are excellent, and among the best that I have experienced with any chronographs. Note that I do not have a photo of the actual movement, but guarantee it to be clean. For those interested, here is a link to a video of a watchmaker servicing an identical movement:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av62537943/

and an image of another identical one:

[​IMG]

So, having done a bit of research, I see that there are at least a couple of these chronos for sale on eBay, and on Chrono24. Those in very good or better condition are at asking prices of ~$2500, though some do have their original NSA bracelets. NOS examples of those bracelets do appear for sale now and then, but I never bought one because I find them to be a bit weak relative to the watch. This watch is fitted with a true TROPIC Sport strap, which suits it very well, is very comfortable, and is in excellent condition.

I ask $1450 ONO, and will ship EMS (express) from my home in Lisbon, Portugal at my asking price. Paypal or bank transfer.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Sep 1, 2019
    chronoboy64, airansun, Syrte and 8 others like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 1, 2019

Sold (pending funds)!

Thanks to the new owner, forum owners and members for their support. :thumbsup: