Forums Latest Members

Clarification Please Re: Ceramic Bezel

1. OttawaMan May 31, 2013

I have this watch 212.30.41.20.01.003, (sorry, can't seem to resize the photos in the web browser) and I know it's a ceramic bezel...but I just watched a YouTube video showing the manufacturing process of their ceramic bezel with liquid metal numbers. So when I hear reference to liquid metal and ceramic bezels, are they one and the same? Or is there a ceramic version that is not metal filled? I really wish Omega would give more detailed specs and information both on their own website and in the materials given during purchase. watch.jpg

2. ulackfocus May 31, 2013

It's probably a proprietary formula / procedure so they won't give out that info. Somebody here might be able to answer though.

3. OttawaMan May 31, 2013

I'm not looking for the formula...I was speaking in broader terms...I shouldn't need to go and google to find out how wide my watch is...or what the hands are made of...or what size strap it takes or what the bezel is made from. You buy what is advertised as a precision instrument and they give you 3 lines that say Crystal - Saphire, Case - Stainless Steel, movement 2500. Show me that precision. give me some cool drawings with measurements on it...tell me about my watch...tell me why it's special. I got more info from my Citizen Eco-drive and it's solar face technology than I get from the documentation with my Seamaster. Don't get me wrong..I love my watch...but I think they've dropped the ball with their technical writing. I got all excited when I saw the size of that red owner's manual only to find all it does is teach me how to set the time in a dozen different languages.

g-boac likes this.
  4. ulackfocus May 31, 2013

That's the Swiss for you.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2013

There are two types of Omega ceramic bezel, the Liquidmetal uses ceramic for the outer material and Liquidmetal for the lettering and markings. The other type (that your Seamaster has) uses Chromium Nitride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_nitride) as the metal.

CrN is extremely tough material.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 31, 2013

Ceramic and Liquid Metal are not the same thing. All Liquid Metal bezels are ceramic, but not all ceramic bezels are Liquid Metal. Your is not Liquid Metal from what I can see. Cheers, Al

7. OttawaMan May 31, 2013

Awesome..thanks for the info all..

8. ulackfocus May 31, 2013

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2013

Mmm, I'm going to paint my bezel with glaze and put the watch a kiln, let you know how I make out.:rolleyes:

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 31, 2013

I say what I mean an mean what I say
    I eat what I see I see what I eat

11. ulackfocus May 31, 2013

Yeah, that's pretty much me too.

12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 31, 2013

13. ulackfocus May 31, 2013

And here I thought it was a Popeye quote. :p

14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 31, 2013

From the mad hatter's tea party....
    `Come, we shall have some fun now!' thought Alice. `I'm glad they've begun asking riddles.--I believe I can guess that,' she added aloud.

`Do you mean that you think you can find out the answer to it?' said the March Hare.

`Exactly so,' said Alice.

`Then you should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on.

`I do,' Alice hastily replied; `at least--at least I mean what I say--that's the same thing, you know.'

`Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter. `You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'

`You might just as well say,' added the March Hare, `that "I like what I get" is the same thing as "I get what I like"!'

`You might just as well say,' added the Dormouse, who seemed to be talking in his sleep, `that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

`It IS the same thing with you,' said the Hatter, and here the conversation dropped, and the party sat silent for a minute, while Alice thought over all she could remember about ravens and writing-desks, which wasn't much.

Bonus points if you know why hatters were mad....

15. ulackfocus May 31, 2013

Can't tell you why in the story, but hat makers got mercury poisoning.

Privateday7 likes this.
  16. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 31, 2013

Bingo. One of the symptoms of mercury poisoning is to act crazy.

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 1, 2013

Kind of a crude description. It was actually more of a dementia, but in earlier days there was no DSM IV, V or otherwise.

Privateday7 likes this.
  18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 1, 2013

LOL...... I really enjoy it when a thread get distracted like this.........:D

19. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 2, 2013

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370150384.973910.jpg

20. g-boac Jun 2, 2013

Your paragraph on this topic is concise and spot-on, and I'd highly encourage you to send it to Omega. Perhaps this would inspire a change.
    https://ccm.omegawatches.com/en/

best,
    Mark

Spy likes this.