Forums Latest Members

CK2998 first impressions from a non-credible OF member :)

1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Apr 20, 2016

Hi Folks,

just back from the local OB, where I brought this watch for service.

[​IMG]

It had been a while since I had been there, but it's still quite an experience I have to say - starting with the lady who took my grandfather's watch pictured above, and first said "it needs a new dial" :rolleyes: To which I said "certainly not". Then she said "ok I have to check", and she walked to the technical person in the back office. So I followed her :cool: and started chatting with the knowledgeable tech (who was wearing a very nice LE speedy from the 90's, btw). Anyways, long story short, the watch is sent to Bienne and they will try not to change the dial and hands unless they have to.

Then back in the shop, I spotted the center shelf, which I was explained was carrying all the Basel '16 news. Lots of gorgeous stuff, including a CK2998, which, frankly looked stunning in its dark blue wooden box. They explained it's one of the prototypes (they weren't sure how many existed). They pulled it out of the secured display shelf for me and I was able to look at it in depth, and snap a couple of pics. Notice the "0000" number and the "not for sale" on the lug :)

[​IMG]

The piece is gorgeous. It's really impressive how "elegant" it looks in the flesh rather than on pictures. The mix of blue and white is perfect, it catches the light in a stunning manner. The blue track, and the white circle track between the latter and the bezel, is very, very balanced. They are nicely supported by the recessed chrono dials, that give it great depth.

[​IMG]

The lollipop seconds hands is the icing on the cake. I couldn't enjoy the lume'd (ceramic) bezel, but I can imagine that thing looks gorgeous in the dark, too. I tried it on for a few minutes, and the 39.5mm size is a perfect fit for my 17cm wrist. Unfortunately no wrist shots :(

to say I was shocked by how perfect this thing looks in the flesh is an understatement. It is really a case of attention to details, and how much more than the sum of its parts the whole watch carries. It's just spot on. The dial. The symmetrical case. The blue strap with white stitching. The bezel. The lollipop. Even the wooden case is gorgeous! The package works so well together...

[​IMG]

I have to say I'm seriously tempted by leaving a deposit very shortly before these run out, I was told they're about to reach their quota already. So the only advice I can give you is, don't wait too long. This is the next Snoopy :)

Sweet dreams everyone :D

Paul

Edited Apr 20, 2016
  2. shutterlife Apr 20, 2016

Excellent write up. Hopefully you can put a deposit in. Unless they're going to tell you, they need submit your profile for approval first.

Also. Hopefully your grandfathers watch comes back with the dials and hands replaced. I'm sure they're going to push for it. An independent watch servicer may have been your best option in keeping the watch original.

Malik713 likes this.
  3. BruceTheManLee Apr 20, 2016

Lonestar and meganfox17 like this.
  4. repoman Apr 20, 2016

@#$(*&@#$(@^(*@&#@$)(*@#$

Another great set of pics for this new Speedy that better represent the details and the actual blue color.... now, where did I put that Omega credit card? :D

5. wsfarrell Apr 20, 2016

I think I am alone in the universe for not liking this watch. Too many color changes----blue bezel, white outer ring, blue index ring, white dial center, blue sub-dials----too busy for me.

marco and abrod520 like this.
  6. Davidt Apr 20, 2016

Not alone.

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 20, 2016

+1

8. Smspectre Apr 20, 2016

Too many colours. There's 2

ulackfocus and nima0071 like this.
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 20, 2016

color changes

wsfarrell likes this.
  10. abrod520 Apr 20, 2016

@wsfarrell +1.

It's just too busy.... if it weren't for the extra blue ring on the dial, it might have worked much better! Also, would have preferred a contrasting lollipop color; this one just disappears into the dial - which kind of negates all the fun of a lollipop hand in the first place.

11. meganfox17 Apr 21, 2016

Aloha Guys !

Oh...oh.....Omega forum readers having some confusion over Colour Comprehension [emoji14]
    This is my Cue Call for the Great Twitter Sensational Debate...

The Dress 2015[​IMG]
    Is it
    A) Black & Blue ( Taylor Swift's Camp )
    B) White & Gold (Kim Kardashian's Camp)

The Jacket 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]

You would be astonished with the number of different answers !

Edited Apr 21, 2016
    BruceTheManLee and ahartfie like this.
  12. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Apr 21, 2016

There really are only two colors - but the lighting conditions make them look different for sure :)

The interesting bit is, I had seen many pictures of the watch on the internet, and I was thinking "yeah. nice, so what...". But in the flesh, with the watch in my hands I was "WOW" :eek: I tried to explain why in the above, to me, it's also about how homogeneous and complete the package feels. So much more than the sum of its parts :) you really need to see it to believe it, but then again, I'm sure it won't resonate with everyone either, and that's perfectly fair!

In any case - to each his own, and we can only thank Omega for releasing a variety of watches with som many dials, bezels, color options, so we can all find what we like best for our own tastes :)

Paul

13. demollo Apr 21, 2016

Thanks for the writeup. I really like that watch. The best Basel 2016 Omega watch imho.

14. BruceTheManLee Apr 21, 2016

Agreed. Everyone has different tastes on what looks good and what doesn't. No one opinion is right or wrong. If you like the watch style/color buy it, if you don't, there are multitude of other watches to chose from. Some people loved the Silver Snoopy and some people hated it. Personally, I was not in love with it (it was nice though)....so I gave up the watch to next person and purchased the CK2998.

Based on all the pictures found online (even Omega's own website) the blue and white can end up to be different shades when compared to reality. To me, holding the watch in real life, the blue is much richer and deeper blue (very inky!) and the white is kind of silvery off-white. I wanted it the moment I saw it released at Baselworld and liked it even more when I had it on my wrist. I agree with Lonestar, it is a "WOW"

meganfox17 likes this.
  15. Superdoc Apr 21, 2016

It will be interesting to see how this one does... the strategy is sound... Boutique only...Pre-approval to buy...

but at almost 3000 pieces, that's a big chance, and a potential backfire.

I think it is a little callous to call it "the next snoopy"...

Snoopy is limited to 1970 pieces - not 2998
    Snoopy has a very real connection to Apollo 13 - not a contrived connection to a model that was never the intent
    Snoopy has an incredible, intricate caseback - not a generic sea-monster..
    Snoopy - the Charles Schultz character - has his own following, and some die hard Peanuts fanatics (I'm sure that forums exist) may have purchased for snoopy himself, and have little interest in 'Omega'... (I know at least one person who bought for the cartoon dog alone)

I truly believe that Snoopy influenced the CK2998 - I think this would have been a numbered FOIS-blue but the Snoopy motivated the 'Audible' to make it limited, not numbered.

if there are enough of the 'VIPs' that eat this up, it will be a true collectors piece.

I have to admit, I put full deposit - but only because I know that $6500 will end up at Omega anyway...

usually we get to see the watches first, then decide... I passed on Snoopy because I buy to wear...not for re-sale/collectability... and had little interest in wearing the snoopy..
    I love my FOIS Sedna, so I didn't want to miss the opportunity on this one...truth is, I will probably pass unless I see it really having much different wrist presence compared to the FOIS.... Honestly, I'd be surprised as heck if this one doesn't show up in display windows for sale to walk-ins...

It took a while for the Apollo 11 to sell out (1969 pieces)... the Soyuz meteorite, in fact, never really did sell out...
    I think that TPTB may have short term memory only ... not every LE is going to be a snoopy...

But this may just be a test run for next year.... the 60th anniversary Speedmaster will be THE one to have! (provided they limit it to 1957 pieces, or 2017 pieces... not 10,057...

shutterlife likes this.
  16. Flingit1200s Apr 21, 2016

And all are not wrong because it is personal preference/eye of the beholder?

meganfox17 likes this.
  17. zrleopold Apr 22, 2016

Do you have any insight as to what this one may look like?

18. Superdoc Apr 22, 2016

Not even in my dreams....

zrleopold likes this.
  19. zrleopold Apr 22, 2016

Haha I figured. Guess we can always wait and see!

20. JesterP Apr 24, 2016

I have pre ordered one of these but i dont think it will be the next Snoopy. I keep wondering if i should cancel as i might be kicking myself if these are £3k in a couple of years like the Apollo 15 i was going to buy. But every time i see a new photo or read what Lonestar said i feel happy my deposit is paid.