Forums Latest Members
  1. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 9, 2016

Nicherotors and Nitzbar like this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 9, 2016

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 9, 2016

Ceramic bezel is different...
    Only 2998 looks like we can have another supply demand issue.

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 9, 2016

It is for sure my favorite on the Omega selection. Beautiful watch

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 9, 2016

I wonder which one you're flipping to get this one. :) Speedy go bye bye?::popcorn::

jaymyms likes this.
  6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 9, 2016

I might as well recount what I was told at an Omega Boutique about Omega's plans for distribution and sale of the CK2998. I had this discussion with the Boutique guys a couple of weeks ago, shortly after the conclusion of Baselworld.

I was BS-ing with an OB salesperson and a repair technician, both of whom I know reasonably well. We were talking about Omega's Baselworld announcements and I mentioned that the only watch that piqued my interest a little was the CK2998. I had read in this Forum about the rumour that the CK2998 would only be sold in Japan so I asked the guys:

'Are you even going to get any here in the US?'

One of the guys replied:

'Of course! But Omega is determined to not repeat the Snoopy debacle.'

I responded:

'You mean the delays caused by manufacturing problems with the caseback?'.

'No!!!' they both said in unison. 'The practice of letting pretty much anyone who wanted one, buy one'

'What do you mean?', I asked.

'With the Snoopy, little effort was made on Omega's part to keep watches available for preferred customers. That's going to change with the CK2998. Omega will only sell the CK2998 to whom they want to sell. That would be customers who are reliable, repeat buyers of new watches.'

At this point our conversation was interrupted by someone walking into the shop, and our discussion of the CK2998 ended.

I did not think to ask whether CK2998s would be distributed to both Boutiques and Authorized Dealers.

Please consider these caveats to what I just described above: it was information from two low-level Boutique employees, not a store manager or regional manager. The "policy" they described may or may not be what Omega actually ends up implementing when CK2998s are ready for distribution and sale.

And please, don't shoot the messenger :)

Edited Apr 9, 2016
    RRMagyar, Longbow, meganfox17 and 2 others like this.
  7. BruceTheManLee Apr 9, 2016

I can confirm from info from boutique managers in three OB stores.
    there is new policy for LE and it is in place with the CK2998
    You are right Omega was not happy with the way sale of Snoopy happened and not happy watch is selling for so much over retail because of profiters and not people who really love Omega

but the new policy going forward
    LE first offered to VIP or preferred clients of OB
    Names submitted to regional president who then submits to head office (so you can't go to multiple OB to submit your name because it will cross referenced)
    if approved - full deposit to paid
    People "off the street" will be waitlisted with a "profile"
    If any LEs leftover after VIPs they will be sold to people on waitlist (and perhaps some sent to AD)

For right or for wrong Omega can do whatever they want, i suppose.

and yes i have paid for my CK already!!

8. gostang9 Apr 9, 2016

So this means repeat buyers have an increased incentive to purchase all future LE or risk being taken off the list?

Also means new Omega customers should not consider getting LE's (that end up being over subscribed) for anywhere near MSRP as they'll have to rely on the used market?

Longbow likes this.
  9. Shazmak Apr 9, 2016

The story in Singapore is this - when I saw the reveal at Baselword I immediately called my local Omega boutique. They didn't have much information on the watch and I was the first person that called about it so I left them my name and number. They called me within a couple of weeks and said that only 10 pieces are coming to Singapore, they have me first on their list and I should come to make a 30-50% deposit to secure the watch. At the last minute I decided against leaving a deposit and told them to release it to the next person in line. The next day I see a listing on Carousell from some !@#$wit profiteer trying to forward sell it for at least $800 above the retail price.

I told the friendly guy at the boutique about the listing and he said he would bring it up with his bosses. Not sure what can be done but I don't believe that Omega is doing anything different from the Snoopy release, at least not in Singapore.

I personally don't believe the watch is going to attract the same demand and while at the same time there is more supply.

10. BruceTheManLee Apr 9, 2016

That's different than the policy in the US. NYC, NJ, and Beverly Hills have the same policy I described in my earlier post. But I know Omega didn't have the full "policy" in place until 2 weeks ago when managers' returned from Basel.

Same demand as snoopy? unlikely. But i think long term CK may fare better? who knows its all a guess. And of course the peak value is assuming unworn and perfect in box. Essentially put into a drawer and not worn - ever. who wants to do that?! Anyways, do you really want a glow in the dark watch with a dog on it with a quote from a Ron Howard movie starring Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon, and Bill Paxton, Gary Sinise, and Ed Harris? (PS all wonderful and fabulous actors!!!)

OB offered me Snoopy last year during Basel and couple months ago in January (someone decided to buy something else) - but turned down both times! Sure snoopy may be more sought after buy I like the CK more

Kofosu likes this.
  11. gostang9 Apr 9, 2016

Like any for-profit corporation, I assume:

--> Omega makes watches to generate a profit
    --> they generate a profit by being able to sell them at a high price
    --> prices are high when supply is less than demand
    --> by releasing LE's, they intentionally try to stir up strong demand by restricting the supply

If Omega do in fact consider the Snoopy situation a "debacle", it is only in the way that they didn't properly capitalize on and monetize the high level of demand.

12. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 9, 2016

Lmao, I'm actually pretty content with my current collection. I will add more over time.

STANDY and Nobel Prize like this.
  13. Bushido Apr 9, 2016

I suppose I can see the rationale of Omega's new policy on LE releases from their end. My extrapolation is that it helps protect brand integrity. It may also encourage potential connoisseurs to invest to the point that they move above whatever line necessary to become LE purchase capable. As well as buying direct from them instead of GM. Further, exclusivity on a luxury good certainly caters to the ego and can be a powerful motivator.

From the consumer's perspective, not so sure this will end up a net positive for most of us...

14. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 9, 2016

My AD already asked me if I wanted one. I kindly passed, but it is beautiful. Around 8k if I remember right...

15. abrod520 Apr 9, 2016

This is kinda problematic as I 100% expect that the 2019 Baselworld release of the Speedmaster Apollo XI 50th Anniversary is gonna blow us away.

I fully expect that I'll be able to afford & will want to buy that watch, yet as a value-based enthusiast-collector I can't really afford to toss ~30% of the value of a brand-new, boutique-bought Omega right down the toilet. For example, I'd love a Seamaster 300 MC but buying it at a Boutique brand-new for $6600 really spikes the opportunity cost versus paying ~$4000 for one secondhand / grey, when I can spend the $2.5k+ savings on another watch!

Guess it's time to face the hard truth that I'm not rich enough for Omega to care about me.
    :(:(:(:(

EDIT (& added as reply below in thread): I'd like to clarify this statement to mean that I cannot afford to "build a relationship" with a Boutique via purchasing "normal" models at full Boutique price in order to get on the VIP list, in order to be able to purchase Limited Edition models that I'd be more than happy to pay full Boutique price for!

Edited Apr 10, 2016
    SeanO, wsfarrell, LawBrk and 2 others like this.
  16. gostang9 Apr 9, 2016

I think the same thing, and I'm torn as to whether I want to pursue a Panda Speedy in the used market now or wait until something potentially amazing comes out.

17. abrod520 Apr 9, 2016

What's a "Panda Speedy" though?

An Apollo XI 35th Anniversary? A 2003 Mitsukoshi? A '97 Japan Golden Panda? A 2016 CK2998 LE?

Regardless, whatever it is you mean, I say go for it! The XI-50 is 3 years away - you have a bunch of time to save up again :D

gostang9 and sky21 like this.
  18. abrod520 Apr 10, 2016

I'd like to clarify this statement to mean that I cannot afford to "build a relationship" with a Boutique via purchasing "normal" models at full Boutique price in order to get on the VIP list for Limited Edition models that I'd be more than happy to pay full price for!

19. Andreas Apr 10, 2016

i am not sure if this strategy can work and be fair.
    i live in a place that omega doesn't have a boutique so i assume they will be having the LEs be sold in ADs.
    95% of the watches my AD sells are going to tourists, so whats left is a 5% of witch i am not sure if their is so much interest in LE speedmasters among them. (+ i personally know the manager witch always helps)
    so if i wanted the next LE it will be easier for me to get one instead of someone that is way more in to the brand than me and lives in NY for example.

20. sky21 Apr 10, 2016

Now that is the post of a true enabler right there!! But seeing how this is an Omega forum, I think it will be appreciated for all the different new watch ideas you've just given him.

gostang9 likes this.