Forums Latest Members

CK 2998! Suggestion for a new member .

1. ohmzx Sep 28, 2016

Hi guys, I'm thinking about buying my first omega watch. My gf and I walked into local AD to get a planet ocean and we ended up fell in love with the CK2998. This happened 2 weeks ago. I called yesterday it's there still. They agree to give 10 percent off the sticker price. Is this a good price?

Again love the watch but not sure how is this watch going to hold value and if 10% off is a good buy??? What do you all think? Help!!! Appreciate any constructive suggestions.

2. cvrle1 Sep 28, 2016

ohmzx likes this.
  3. Just Livin Sep 28, 2016

So in the UK. You could buy these watches at the store price of 4,100 GBP's.
    The one I see selling on Ebay at the moment on auction is at 4,700 GBP's, with about 13 hrs to run.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272385567621?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

But, to your original point, no idea what 10% off actually means without knowing the starting price.

ohmzx likes this.
  4. Sanmilc Sep 28, 2016

If it is possible, tell us what is the price... is the only way we can compare

ohmzx likes this.
  5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 28, 2016

Watches purchased new don't hold value. Sure there are rare exceptions, but not the CK2998.

ohmzx likes this.
  6. ohmzx Sep 28, 2016

Store price is at normal $6500. 10 % off will be at 5950ish without tax. With tax it will be back around $6500.

Thanks all. Wonder how is it going to hold value ?

Edited Sep 28, 2016
  7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 28, 2016

I own one.

At this point I have seen one listed here for $6250 and I believe I saw another listed elsewhere for $6,000.

The last few on eBay sold in $6600-6800 range. Once you factor in fees, net is $6,000 or so.

So at this point in time I would expect a slight loss.

Not all of these have been released, so I would expect to see a downward trend.

I have purchased many used modern Omega watches for less than 50% MSRP.

Lapanouse and ohmzx like this.
  8. ohmzx Sep 28, 2016

Thanks Taaddyangle! and others. Pretty much I should wait for a year or so then. I was worrying that the price will come down and it will be like my 3000 dollar Tag Heuer. I love to own and Omega and i will buy one soon.

drhex likes this.
  9. tigerpac Sep 28, 2016

You're likely going to have to buy used if you wait a year. You might get lucky and find a new one but maybe not by then. So as long as you're OK with that then wait.

ohmzx likes this.
  10. Ree Sep 28, 2016

At 2998pcs I think the used prices are going to be pretty good next year! :thumbsup:

sydneywatchguy, ohmzx and Taddyangle like this.
  11. sydneywatchguy Sep 28, 2016

I would agree. Ive seen this happen a few times with Omega limited releases once the dust settles. For example, try finding the Planet Ocean Skyfall LE even though theres 5000 of them.

12. ohmzx Sep 28, 2016

It seems like. No matter what % of discount I can get at the AD, it's still not a good buy since we all expected the price to fall after the market is saturated. That's what everyone is saying, right?

Thanks all. I will wait then!!!

I will go back there this weekend, maybe if they give me 20% off I may take it.

Logically, it's a losing battle sounds like. (confused lol ) Thanks all.

Edited Sep 28, 2016
  13. ohmzx Sep 28, 2016

What do you mean by pretty good? Price is low or high????

14. repoman Sep 28, 2016

Welcome to the forum. I don't think you should wait. Life is short, you have a desire to buy a fine timepiece. You love the CK2998. We are talking about a depreciation of no more than a few hundred bucks... for a piece that you will likely own for many years. To me the potential depreciation in the short run should have no bearing on your decision unless you are a flipper (which you don't sound like you are). The price you were quoted is excellent for a new CK2998, just do it!

Edited Oct 14, 2016
    OhMegaMan, al128, Larry S and 3 others like this.
  15. ohmzx Sep 28, 2016

Thanks Repoman!!! Now you make me want to buy it. I will stop by them again this weekend if they want to give 15-20% off like they agreed on the planet ocean. I may pick it up then.

I don't plan to flip it. I will keep it for a while and get a bracelet for it (See got all things planned in my head already).

16. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 28, 2016

Also, welcome to the message board.

How this plays out for you...

If you stay here and contribute, you will own many Omega watches so why not just buy this watch now? This also allows you to proceed with the Planet Ocean purchase. These are facts :)

17. cottonlume Sep 28, 2016

It's a beaut, is it worth it in the end is only a question you can answer

ohmzx likes this.
  18. Ree Sep 28, 2016

Good as in it'll not be as heavily depreciated as other non LE models. I think it'll be a goodbuy for you if you want to save some more bucks by buying next year at a second hand price. Yet it will also be a goodbuy if you decide to buy now, knowing it will hold its value later.
    I think most LE models still do need some time to be sold-out. I've gotten info there are still 45th Apollo XI, Alaska and Meteorite-Apollo Soyuz, all NOS, lying on several OBs scattered around the world at this moment, waiting to be sold. All at retail prices. Yet we're seeing people selling them above retail on the internet simply because it's easier than having to fly to certain cities to pick it up.
    What's popular in a part of the world might not be as popular in others.
    And all these love-it-or-hate-it LEs do take some time before they go into a price-hike mode, if any.

Personally I think if you like it that much, you should go for it. You'd get more smiles than the dollars you might save by buying next year.
    Just my humble opinion.

ohmzx likes this.
  19. MIDASCHEN Sep 28, 2016

If you can get it at a discount go for it. It's a beautiful watch. I kind of wish I got one when my AD had one in stock.

ohmzx likes this.
  20. ohmzx Sep 28, 2016

@Ree, Thank you so much for your words of advice. I will determine my final decision at the AD to see how it fit and feels in person again. Will ask them for 20% off, which don't think it will happen but not going to hurt to ask. And you are correct, if i missed I might just get it next year and also spent less money buying a used Planet Ocean!. Win-Win maybe.

You guys rock! Appreciate all the comments

Jess007 likes this.