Forums Latest Members
  1. TropicConnie Apr 28, 2018

After missing having a Longines in my box (again), a while ago I started looking for a keeper Longines. At first I aimed high, looking at a solid gold Chronometre from the 1940s. Then life got in the way, and I was forced to limit my budget. I had my eyes on a 1940s solid gold model with a solid gold bracelet at a ridiculous price of $480 US, but foolishly I slept on it and in that time the seller increased the price to $2500.

Finally, this entered my crosshairs yesterday. The perfect balance of a vintage Conquest and Flagship. At 36.5 mm, it's smaller than the current Heritage Flagship that uses the same movement, based on the ETA 2895. I offered half of what the seller was asking, and to my surprise they accepted. I can only find a very limited amount of info online, mostly from Japanese websites which has me believing it may have been a model predominantly for the Asian market. The model code L4.685.4. Apparently it was part of the Les Grandes Classiques collection, even though it looks more at home in the present Heritage collection (so I'm guessing it predates that collection by a few years).

Has anyone here owned, or seen this model in the metal? If so, I'd love to see your photos!

[​IMG]

Syrte, yako54 and Rumar89 like this.
  2. dragoman Apr 29, 2018

Is the modern Longines undergoing some kind of Sysyphus curse, whereby they develop stunning vintage inspired watches, and when they are about to deliver a masterpiece, they put a date window on int, screw the thing up, and back to square one?

What is that date window doing there?

Otherwise, a thoroughly stunning watch.

77deluxe and TropicConnie like this.
  3. TropicConnie Apr 29, 2018

I liked the watch enough to overlook the date window, for $400 I won't complain. I prefer it at 6 to anywhere else on the dial, so there's that too.

EDIT:
    More research has uncovered couple of similar watches without the date, both in .750 gold and from the early 2000's. This collection appears to be quite uncommon so I'm glad I snagged the one I did. Mine in steel is likely to be the entry price point and it goes up from there.

Reference L4.693.6
    [​IMG]

Reference L7.880.8
    [​IMG]

Edited Apr 30, 2018
    Syrte and dragoman like this.
  4. 77deluxe Apr 29, 2018

Why in the world isn’t that hand wound?

TropicConnie likes this.
  5. TropicConnie Apr 29, 2018

Same reason it's got the date I'm guessing! It's a product of its time. I don't mind it being automatic either, stylistically it looks a lot like Longines 19A and 22A watches from the 1950's.

Syrte likes this.
  6. ClarendonVintage Apr 29, 2018

That date window does not look out of place at all imo. Very attractive proportions and nice aged hands. I hope the crown and caseback are signed nicely too?

TropicConnie likes this.
  7. TropicConnie Apr 29, 2018

Thank you! the caseback is signed, but the crown appears to be plain from what I can tell. I've found such few photographs of this model that I can't confirm for certain if it's meant to be signed or not.

ClarendonVintage likes this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 29, 2018

What's wrong with an automatic watch?

Zdzislaw and TropicConnie like this.
  9. TropicConnie Apr 29, 2018

If I'm totally honest I prefer manually wound watches for the (marginally) cheaper service costs and the 'bonding time' spent with them each morning before wearing them. But that's only really a factor when a watch is available in both manual and automatic variants so doesn't really count here.

After some searching, I've found what may have been the inspiration behind this dial design, a lovely 22L from 1950 (owned by @prostie1200)

[​IMG]

And a lovely 12.68Z
    [​IMG]

Edited May 3, 2018
    Zdzislaw, bubba48 and 77deluxe like this.
  10. 77deluxe Apr 29, 2018

Nothing, if it is a diver. I just prefer thinner and simpler movements. They connect me more to the watch, like driving a stick shift car. Purity.

TropicConnie likes this.