Forums Latest Members

Circa 1964 - Did all watches come with the Logo on the crown?

1. Mary255 Aug 19, 2012

I won an eBay auctionPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network for a beautiful 1964 ladies Omega (serial number 21344980). It was from a UK seller. The condition is beautiful as described, and I love it. However, the crown does NOT have the Omega logo.

Hence my question: Can it be that not all Omega watches come with the crown logo in that era?

Should I replace the plain crown or should I leave it alone?

Thanks,
    Mary

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 19, 2012

Crowns often get replaced in servicing, if a correct replacement crown with the Omega logo isn't available a suitable replacement is used. Because ladies watches are not all that common in that era it could be that it was too difficult to locate a correct small crown to fit that watch. Its up to you whether you replace it but finding the part may be difficult (or not I really don't know).

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 19, 2012

The crown is no big deal, but you would not have mentioned it if it did not bother you. I would get a new Omega crown. This is not difficult and should be inexpensive with the right watchmaker. Even if it is not the exact style that came with the watch, there are many Omega crowns that would work and look good on the watch.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 19, 2012

nice choice of watch by the way, rarely do you see a lady with a clean 1960s vintage Omega

5. Mary255 Aug 19, 2012

Thank you so much! So I guess the answer is all Omega watches come with the signed crown?!

Yes, it does bother me. I went ahead to order a 3.5mm Omega crown with tube. Do you think I can do it by myself without messing it up? I saw some directions on You Tube. Thanks.

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 20, 2012

You can easily do yourself and not mess it up and you can easily do it yourself and mess it up. You will have to cut the stem to correct length and remove any burrs. Once the stem is cut, if you cut too short, you will need another one. I would put some loctite on the stem and thread the crown on tight. let it dry. Do NOT use super glue.
    Or go to a watchmaker, if he screws it up , it's on him.

7. Mary255 Aug 20, 2012

Thanks!