Forums Latest Members
  1. grankin Aug 19, 2014

I've got one. Bought it new in 1971 or 72, and it has sailed over 10,000 offshore miles with me. It timed my starts for the Olympic Trials in 1976, timed navigation lights in several Southern Ocean Racing Circuits, sorta worked as a chronometer for sun sights crossing the Atlantic, and survived the South China Sea race. I've grafted a sharkmesh bracelet to it, and I like it. It has been my watch for over 40 years.

I dropped it in July, and slightly dislodged the 2d hand, so it would contact the minute hand (unless it was stopped @ 12) - so I brought it to a local guy to fix it. After some complaining about what a PITA it would be to get into the thing, he said he'd do it. A couple of days later he called, said a little screw was floating about loose inside, and that he didn't want to tackle it, that it oughta go to Omega. He called them, got a ~$900 estimate, I authorized it, and he sent it off.

They just called Omega for a status report. Omega claims it needs a complete re-face job (little bits flake off &get into the works - this watch had a re-face done maybe 15 years ago), and a complete service. They quoted a hair under $1,900. After I re-started my heart I told the local guy to tell them to simply send it back.

Should I treat this as a Lost Cause and sell it for parts? Or might there be a craftsman out there who doesn't need this year's college tuition payment to be covered, who might be capable to do what needs to be done?

Advice gratefully received.

2. Mothra Aug 19, 2014

Plenty of independents who can do the work you need (and only the work you need) for a sensible price. When was it last serviced? It sounds like it might deserve one rather than being taken out back and shot. Whereabouts are you? A local member may be able to make a suggestion...

3. grankin Aug 19, 2014

Was serviced earlier this year, by a retired guy. Located Madison, Wisconsin, 3 hours from Chicago or 1.5 hours from Milwaukee. Suggestions welcome!

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 20, 2014

If it a Chronostop without date, it will be Cal. 865 and shares a lot of its parts with the 860/861. That is a pretty robust movement and is relatively easy to service. It will probably need to be stripped down again to make sure the errant screw has not caused any damage (and to put it back where it should be) The hand can, most likely, be re-seated if it is still attached to its pipe, or replaced with a new one which isn't expensive. You can even get a service dial for about £150 (in the UK, so $250 ish) if you want. If not, just have the existing one left alone.

5. grankin Aug 21, 2014

I stand corrected - it IS an 865, and not an 825 (I blame dystypia).

And when it comes back from Omega, it will go back to the last guy to service it (not the fellow who sent it to Omega). He can get the face refinished for about $200 US, if he really thinks it needs it. I would not mind having the hands and dots glow in the dark with more intensity, but will live with what I can get.

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 21, 2014

The hands would be simple for your watchmaker to re-lume.

7. grankin Sep 24, 2014

So I sent the watch off to the friend (retired watchmaker) in California who'd serviced it previously, and who took a good look at it. He thinks the face looks fine, needs no refinishing. He noted that the set lever was missing. Either Omega lost it ... or the local guy did. I've written a polite note to said 'local guy' leaving the blame for the lost set lever open ... and he has been silent as the grave. I think he's lost my business forever. Similarly Omega, who wanted $1,900 for the service and who may be responsible for the missing part.

My California friend is acquiring a new replacement, doing a 'clean & press' job, squaring-away the second hand, maybe re-luming. He's charging me less than $100, and the watch comes in the mail back to me today. All's well that ends well.

Waynepjr likes this.
  8. Waynepjr Sep 25, 2014

I just love these Nightmare on Omega St. stories that have that happily ever after ending. "Tito, had me a tissue".

Wayne

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 25, 2014

Great to hear happy ending. Share us your watch picture once it arrived.

Dogmann likes this.
  10. davidswiss Sep 25, 2014

Great story. Always like to read about what these old mechanical marvels have achieved over the years. The watch too grankin !!
    And a happy ending.

11. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Sep 25, 2014

Yes, please post up some pics, it would be good to see a watch that has done 10,000 off shore miles, the South China Sea race and lived to tell the tale.

Dogmann likes this.