Forums Latest Members

Chronoscope timing test results 6 mos old Seamaster 300m

1. Evanspa Aug 19, 2018

Hi all-
    My newer Seamaster was purchased in Feb of this year (6 mo)
    I took my Seamaster to the local OB today and had it timing tested and pressure tested.
    Pressure test - Good
    However the results of the time test were interesting:
    Rate (s/d) beat(ms) Ampl
    CH -.07 .4 243
    CB 1.9 .4 242
    9H 5.4 .2 222
    6H 2.1 .4 226
    3H -6.3 .4 241
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    X 0.5 .4 235
    D 11.7 .2 21

So while the s/d = .5. The technician was concerned about the differential of 11.7 in the s/d rate.
    He mentioned when the D = 12, it should be sent in for service.

This is a 6 month old watch, in near perfect condition, never dropped or smacked.
    What could cause this? It certainly seems that something is not right.

Will the Omega Warranty cover service if the tolerances are still within their specs? I.E. the .5 s/d and under "12 Differential?

Any thoughts?

IMG_6175.JPG
  2. TMas Aug 19, 2018

That amplitude is definitely low, and the beat error is too high for a new watch. If it really wasn’t smacked against something, I’d be looking to send it OMEGA for sure. It should run much better. Something is weird. Was it well wound when you tested it?

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2018

It's within specs for all parameters, so unlikely that Omega would service it under warranty. All watches have positional variation, and Omega allows the Delta to be as much as 12 and still be within tolerances. Beat error is also within tolerances, and although amplitude appears low, that's not unusual with co-axial watches. I don't know what specific caliber this is, but as it stands it's within tolerance.

Cheers, Al

4. TMas Aug 19, 2018

Wow, 235 amplitude is in tolerance for some co-axial movements? I didn’t know that. That surprises me, it seems a bit sad. Am I seeing this wrong?

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2018

As I've said many times before, there is no full wind tolerance for balance amplitude, at least on the low end. There are upper end tolerances that the amplitude must be below in order to prevent rebanking, but that's it at full wind.

The minimum amplitude tolerance is measured at 24 hours after full wind, and for some co-axial movements can be as high as 200 degrees, and in other as low as 170 degrees.

I'm not sure why that would seem sad...

Cheers, Al

6. Evanspa Aug 19, 2018

Thanks for the responses
    Do you think I should just keep wearing the watch until it gets out of spec, then send it in?
    Or should I get it fixed asap to avoid future damage?

Also, CXan I gt a quote prior to service from Omega if it is not covered?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2018

What prompted you to get the timing checked? How does it run when you just wear it?

Unlikely that leaving it will cause any "future damage" so I would not be too concerned about that.

Omega service prices are published on their web site.

8. TMas Aug 19, 2018

It seems sad to me because if I test a six month old Rolex with an amplitude of 230, it’s going back to Geneva to be fixed, and rightly so. No question. I realize we are talking different movements on different watches and maybe I’m not seeing the full picture. Not trying to be argumentative, just going on what I know is correct. Interesting, thanks for sharing Al.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2018

What you "know" is "correct" is not necessarily so...

And edit to add that Rolex also does not have a minimum amplitude requirement at full wind.

10. Evanspa Aug 19, 2018

I had an adjustable clasp installed and the bracelet adjusted.
    The store offered to test it for me.
    The watch is not a daily wear and the time seems okay for my purposes.
    Is a full service my only option through Omega?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2018

I don't speak for Omega, so I have no idea what they may or may not offer to you for this specific situation. The only way to get that answer is to ask Omega.

12. TMas Aug 19, 2018

Ditto. Believe me, I’m sure.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2018

You're sure of what exactly?

14. TMas Aug 19, 2018

Just as I said, seems sad to me because if I test a 6 month old Rolex and the amplitude is 230 deg or lower, it is going back to Geneva, and rightfully so. I’m sure my information and what I know is correct.
    What did you mean specifically when you said, “What you “know” is “correct” is no necessarily so....”?

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2018

That you can't apply what is true for a Rolex to a co-axial Omega, as you are doing.

What I think needs to be kept in mind here is that we have very little information about how this watch was tested, so making assumptions is not a great idea. We have no idea what the caliber is, or if the watch was actually fully wound when these readings were taken. Just because it was done at an Omega boutique, doesn't mean the person doing the testing did it correctly - the "boutique technicians" are given very limited training, and are not watchmakers. They are essentially existing staff given a few weeks of technical training, which is a far cry from being a fully trained watchmaker.

16. TMas Aug 19, 2018

Hahaha, so very true about testing at OBs.

What I “know” is “correct” is that a newer Rolex IS going back to be fixed with an amplitude that low. I have to say that I got insulted because I am in the position to know this, and my information is correct and you called me out for it being incorrect. Nothing I said was false. I never said that was the case with OMEGA, although I said I found it sad. Instead, I acknowledged we are talking about different movements on different watches. It is interesting to learn the rules with OMEGA. Again, I always appreciate your contributions and information.

17. Evanspa Aug 19, 2018

I have another Q:
    Is sending back to Omega the only "Authorized" repair?
    Are there AD's considered "Authorized" technicians, as to not void the current warranty?

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2018

Correct for Rolex maybe, but as I've said saying it's "sad" based on what is correct for Rolex, is not necessarily right...

An AD may have a certified watchmaker on staff, but if you want this considered as a warranty repair, I would suggest dealing with Omega directly or through a boutique.

19. TMas Aug 19, 2018

I find an amplitude of 230deg on a 6 month old, multi thousand $ watch sad. Yes....yes, I do. And that’s based on my experience with many brands, not just Rolex. Rolex was just the example I used. I love OMEGA and own many, I just wouldn’t be happy with that. I would be sad.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2018

And you would be missing the big picture...