Forums Latest Members
  1. Prestonbarnett Aug 2, 2019

hey Guys,

Just got a new Speedy am loving it but noticed that when I run the chrono the hour ticker seems like it’s slightly ahead. I’ve attached a photo where my chronograph has been running 50 minutes but the hour hand is almost directly on 1. Are other people’s this close to an hour even when they’re at 50 minutes?

C404E448-4A7A-47D7-875A-11D6AC6C3873.jpeg
  2. bama2141 Aug 2, 2019

I’d say not unusual

3. ext1 Aug 2, 2019

Well, if you want to be even more bothered, I'll recommend you notice the position of the hour counter hand RIGHT after you start the chrono from zero. The hour counter hand isn't exactly at 12 even when you're only 5 seconds in. :p (Just tested to confirm with my ST1...)

So... don't worry and just have fun wearing it. :thumbsup: The more picky you get, the more things you'll notice, and it will ruin your experience.

Or... everyone else feel free to put here every other tiny thing you've noticed in the standard speedy ::stirthepot::

gerrya likes this.
  4. MRC Aug 2, 2019

Not a Speedy but I have one chrono where the minute hand returns slightly past 0 and when next started appears to be a minute fast. But simply pressing the return pusher twice in the first place fixes that.

5. Prestonbarnett Aug 2, 2019

Yeah I just looked and that’s what the issue is. The hour counter is very slightly to the right and looks a tiny hair off. The OCD part of me hates it lol but you’re right it’s not a deal breaker and prob not worth. Posted a pic of 8 secs into a new chrono run so you can see it.

A3C97549-A75A-4C61-9BF4-B8F32BDFC708.jpeg
  6. Bp1000 Aug 2, 2019

This happens on most of my manual wound omega chronograph movements

Even the latest 3861

For the hour marker to align earlier than 10 mins is unusual though.

But just to clarify, when I said align, I mean bang on. By 15min or 10 min to the hour the hour marker sits just shy of the 1 hour mark.

By 5 mins to the hour the hour marker usually aligns exactly. That’s my experience anyway

In your pic you are 10 mins from the hour and just shy of total alignment. I’d say that’s fairly normal.

7. Prestonbarnett Aug 2, 2019

Haha I guess you just can’t get manual wind chronos that accurate or something? Is it not just placement of the hand when setting the dial? It just bugs me because at that price I feel like it should be exact but you’re right I guess it adds to the uniqueness of “my” Speedy but still

8. rainking Aug 2, 2019

If you use the search function, you'll find this subject has been covered numerous times, with loads of people chiming in. In a nut shell you're far from alone on this ...

9. Prestonbarnett Aug 2, 2019

Haha oh great lol i’ll Check it out

10. gerrya Aug 2, 2019

Different watch but my DSOTM 9300 chrono hour hand is 5 minutes fast. At 12:00 and when reset the hour hand does sit under the minute hand and is hidden, not sure if that's what they use for determining if it's acceptable or not. I've never seen a tolerance for this watch/movement so not really sure what is considered acceptable.
    I'll let them know at first service, but the other chrono hands are dead on when reset. Those shiny hands are hard to see anyway;)
    IMG_20190730_185934.jpg IMG_20190730_195936.jpg

11. Prestonbarnett Aug 2, 2019

Interesting I don’t know the tolerances either. But the OCD part of me sure bra it to be precise lol

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2019

If you run the chronograph until the hour recorder hand hits a full tick, say at the one hour mark, note how many additional minutes it has to run before it is in the same spot relative to the 1 hour mark as it is when it's reset. My guess is that it will be very close to the 10 minutes your hour recorder is "out".

If the hand was right on when reset, it would be very close. I set these hands on several times per week on Speedmasters, and when set on properly they line up on the hours I sync with the minute counter for the most part.

AntonisCy likes this.
  13. Prestonbarnett Aug 3, 2019

Al,

It’s dead on about 5-10 early and then in 5-10 when the minutes hand is spot on an hour it’s slightly to the right. I did let it run overnight to get to like 7 hours and then reset it so it went clockwise to 12 instead of counter and it seems to have lined up now. Guess I just won’t use the chrono ever once it gets lined up...lol jk