Forums Latest Members

Chronograph pusher stuck! What to do?

1. Jonatan Apr 17, 2016

We've run into a little problem with my fiancés Universal Geneve Compax. The chronograph pusher is stuck and it's impossible to stop it. I figured if we didn't wind the watch it would eventually stop but it's been two days and it's still going although the watch itself has stoped.

Since we are presently away from home, should I rush to a watchmaker here or can it wait another week? Will the continus running of the chronograph damage the watch? We had planned to get it serviced upon our return in Switzerland on the 29th of April.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT : Chronometre for Chronograph

Edited Apr 17, 2016
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 17, 2016

I would think you could just leave it wound down for a week or so when you return. I wouldn't wind it til then.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 17, 2016

There is nothing wrong, per se, with having the chronograph (not chronometer) running non-stop for a week or two. BUT if the button is depressed, then who knows what additional wear and tear is going on!

4. Jonatan Apr 17, 2016

Is there any way to stop it if the button is depressed? Or do I just let it run its course?

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 18, 2016

If the watch has stopped, the chronograph cannot still be running because that is driven by the watch mechanism itself.

6. Jonatan Apr 18, 2016

That's why I was asking? The chronograph is still going 24h after the hours/minutes/seconds have stopped.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 18, 2016

When was the last time you wound it? If it's been 2-3 days based on what you have said, it should have run down by now.

8. Jonatan Apr 18, 2016

Just had a look and the chronograph has finally stopped but a good 36hours after the watch itself ::confused2::. Is there something I don't understand? Watch has no more than 48h power reserve.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 18, 2016

If all the other functions, including the constant seconds, have stopped, then the chronograph hands should also have stopped. If the hour/minute hands had stopped, but the constant seconds hand was still moving, the cannon pinion could be loose enough I suppose to make it appear that everything else had stopped but the watch was still ticking.

What you have described so far makes no sense...but again you have not said how long ago you wound the watch...

Nothing is going to be damaged by what happened, but clearly there is a problem with the watch.

10. Jonatan Apr 18, 2016

The watch was wound at the same time as the pusher got depressed Friday evening (probably around 8pm). To my untrained eye, the watch stopped some time Saturday late evening and the chronograph stopped now too long ago, Monday morning.

11. Jonatan Apr 18, 2016

Thanks for the answers gentleman.

12. Flingit1200s Apr 19, 2016

Interested to hear/see what the watchmaker finds. Best of luck!

13. Jonatan Aug 25, 2016

Apologies, I never got back. Watch was repaired and serviced for 500chf. My watchmaker said it was the last time he would work on this watch. Most of the parts are badly worn, and the platine needs to be changed. I've been looking for a donor movement, but that will take time.