Forums Latest Members

Chronograph hand not resetting to 0, but a more unusual case than most.

1. Aliprvz Oct 3, 2022

I just picked up a speedmaster reduced, when it arrived ( a week ago) it all worked well. Today I engaged the chronograph when I was bored like I have before and this time on reset it did not reset to 0. I have seen there are many reason for the issue where the chronograph hand (the centre second hand ) does not line up with 0. I don't think this is as simple as the hands being applied wrong as it did line up to begin with. I have also noticed the minute hand jumps a little on reset.

The unusual aspect of this whole thing is that after +- 7 resets the watch seems to have fixed itself and no it lines up at 0 and will work for a few resets and then go off 0 again. I have noticed the watch usually fixes it self only when the timer is run for a couple of minuets but not always works.

I will note the pushers are a bit sticky.

I will be taking it to a watchmaker to determine what the issue could be and the cost of the fix, if it is too high I will be returning the watch. That would suck since I have grown to enjoy this on quite a bit and bought at decent price from overseas. I was just hoping to see if maybe there is an insight or best guess of what the issue could be given the unique circumstances.

It should be noted the watch was" serviced " I suspect this was just a clean an reoiling the watch runs great with an amplitude of 280.
    * I will add photos when I am home *
    Thank you :)

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 3, 2022

Compound Chronos using the Dubois Depraz module are a little quirky and have some unusual setting and resetting traits. Might be best to live with it or return it since even the best watchmakers can struggle to get these perfect every time. Some skip servicing the chrono module at all and some who have a bit more self respect refuse to work on them since spare parts are not available. The Speedy Reduced has a strong fan base who are often quick to defend them when they see them being unfairly maligned, but the fact remains they offer issues not seen on fully integrated movement models.

Edited Oct 3, 2022
    noless likes this.