Forums Latest Members
  1. SuperSaver Sep 8, 2017

Hi All,

First time member here. I'm interested in getting a new Speedy Moonwatch. Looks like the best MINT, New In Box price out there is around $3500 from trusted buyers... But was also looking at Chrono24 and Japanese eBay buyers as well. How much are the import duties on a $3-4k watch? If it's a wash, would probably go with domestic dealer.

2. AnotherDon Sep 8, 2017

The US import tax rules are complex. You don't pay an import tax on "a watch". At the risk of over-simplifying the situation, there are tax rates on the case, tax rates on the strap (if it's croc or alligator you need a CITES tag to get the strap through Customs) or bracelet, and tax rates on the movement. The lowest of these tax rates in on the movement. In my experience importing a steel cased watch on a bracelet would run about $50. However in this last year, I have bought a steel cased watch and a titanium cased watch and they each came with no import tax charged to me. The imposition of the import tax is greatly influenced by how the shipper fills out the import documentation. If you are buying from a seller who has a fair amount of experience shipping watches to buyers in the US, he will know how to complete the paperwork to minimize your tax.

Good Luck with your search.

3. panaitchrono Sep 8, 2017

In my country you have to pay the taxes about 24% of (price of the item plus shipping) but if the seller agree to declare as a gift you don't pay the taxes anymore..I tell you that because I just listed a new Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch on eBay and maybe you are interested to make a good offer. I'm from Romania..you can search it..regards

4. Shailor Sep 9, 2017

There are several really nice examples for sale by members here right in that price range. I'd go with them and avoid all this.