Forums Latest Members
  1. Esmarch Aug 6, 2015

Hi everyone and thanks for your time.

I have a question about a 145022-69ST Speedy I'm considering. Specifically, I have doubts whether the chrono hand is original to the watch.

It's of the earlier spear end variant that, as far as I have learned, only was used until 68. Is this correct? If it is, the hand must be a service part but of an earlier variant. Or could it be original since I know Omega wasn't very particular with overlapping references and parts?

I have attached a photo of the watch in question:

[​IMG]

Are there any other things that spring to mind with this particular timepiece that I should know of?

Thank you for your time and help, the knowledge in this place is amazing!

Edited Aug 6, 2015
    sulaco likes this.
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 6, 2015

Wouldn't stop me buying it.

Early bezel, matching patina on the hands.

Also the chrono has the long tail I associate with an original.

Even though received wisdom specifies a square end, it looks ok to me. After all it is early.

May I ask the serial. I bet 29m or below.

3. flame Speedmaster Neil Aug 6, 2015

Dear Mr SF

You must be mistaken , surely that dial is the wrong colour for you....:)

BTW - Nice Watch OP !

Best - Neil

Esmarch and Spacefruit like this.
  4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 6, 2015

The chrono seconds hand should be flat shaped. That being said the spear chrono hand looks fine. However, if you purchase this Speedie and you'd like to swap your spear chrono for a flat one (used, vintage) message me.

Good hunting

5. repoman Aug 6, 2015

Chrono hand is probably original here as long as it matches the other hands and generally matches the overall condition of the watch (i.e. unless it is an obvious service replacement). That style chrono hand is found on some 69's. From the pic posted, it looks lovely.

Esmarch and Spacefruit like this.
  6. Esmarch Aug 7, 2015

Thank you all for answering, I'm getting closer to picking this piece up.

I have asked the seller for the serial number. If it matches an early 69' 145022 I will buy the watch.

It sits on a 1116 bracelet buy the way, which I have read also could be original to an early 145022 Pre Moon. But I also heard it's very flimsy and that original one almost always has stretch, so I might buy a 1171 for daily wear. We'll see!

7. sulaco Aug 7, 2015

This watch look just great as it is, i also got an early 145.022-69 from the first owner with the same bracelet and the same Chronohand and a DON Bezel. I say it´s original.

IMG_6486.JPG

Temiyasen and Esmarch like this.
  8. Esmarch Aug 7, 2015

Sulaco, what a great looking watch.

How do you find the bracelet?

9. sulaco Aug 7, 2015

I like it very much, i got another 146.012 with the same bracelet,. :)

Esmarch likes this.
  10. Esmarch Aug 10, 2015

The seller has now sent pics of the movement with a 29m serial number, so I guess it's correct for a 69. Although earlier would have made more sense considering the many early parts of this watch.

He also sent a timegrapher pic showing great signs EXCEPT for the fact that it said an amplitude of 148 degrees in the dial up position (I only got the one pic). This means that the movement is ripe for service, right? The amplitude couldn't possible be that low in a well-functioning movement?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 10, 2015

It's impossible to say anything based on what you have described. Now IF the watch was fully wound, and IF the chronograph is off, and IF he has the lift angle set correctly, then yes that is terrible amplitude. The vast majority of people who buy these cheap machines have no idea how to use them or how to truly interpret the results, so I always look at photos posted of a watch sitting (in one position, which really doesn't tell you much) on a machine with a lot of questions - more questions than answers typically.

A good rule to apply to buying any used watch is, no matter what the seller claims, you should count on doing a service when you get it.

Cheers, Al

12. Esmarch Aug 10, 2015

Al, thanks for that input.

I have a trusted watchmaker nearby that I'll have look at it when I recieve it anyway, so he'll service it if need be. The seller just sent me this movement picture. I know that it's hard to say anything about the working conditions of the movement from one caseback-less picture, but does anything strike you as being amiss here?

IMG_7808 S.jpg

Again, thank you all for this invaluable advice.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 10, 2015

That is a large photo, which is good. I can see fibers in the movement, debris in the jewel for the chronograph runner, and the cap jewel on the balance appears to be completely dry - deffo needs a service, but otherwise looks to be in good condition.

14. Esmarch Aug 10, 2015

Thank you so much, Al. I assume the aforementioned low amplitude can be attributed to these things? I will try to haggle a bit with seller armed with this knowledge.

15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 10, 2015

Esmarch likes this.
  16. Esmarch Aug 11, 2015

I might actually end up passing on this watch. Seller wants 3000 EUR (3300 USD) plus shipping. For a 145022 pre moon in need of service I think that's a bit steep, despite the attractiveness (for me) in the early bezel, bracelet and chrono hand.

Am I wrong in thinking it's a bit much for a non-321 pre moon?

17. sulaco Aug 15, 2015

I would say its pretty steep, even with the DON bezel.

18. justwatching Aug 15, 2015

try making a counter offer, i doubt someone would pay that much. i wonder how much the experts here think the fair price would be? $2800?

19. Esmarch Oct 7, 2015

I forgot to update this story. I ended up buying the watch and I'm very happy with it. Downsides include some lume flaking off and, unfortunately given the point of this thread, the chronograph hand seems to be a newer replacement. The lume in it appears to be greener and more matte than the beautiful dusted orange patina of the hour- and minute hands.

The case and caseback are in fantastic condition and the DON bezel only has one very minor bump between 90 and 85.

What do you guys think?

IMG_1452.JPG

Edited Oct 7, 2015
    LawBrk likes this.
  20. Brench Oct 7, 2015

Great watch and condition. enjoy it