Forums Latest Members

Chrono hand on 145.012 speedmaster (Looking for Pre-Moon expert)

1. yolohse Jan 16, 2016

Hi guys

Yes today I bought a 145.012 Speed master in very good condition, all original with 1039 bracelet and everything. However, the first time i went to inspect the watch I noticed that the second’s chrono hand was not settling at 12 o'clock but at the 1-second marker. My dealer said he would correct it when he serviced the watch before I picked it up. When I came to pick it up, he had changed the hand because something in the mounting mechanism (or something) was broken in the other one. The "new" chrono hand is a pointy/spear like this one:
    http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mQCTV8aam7AEaf4f5mf4h1A.jpg.
    My problem is, that the new hand has no aging since it comes from an old set of hands he had lying around which has never been used. Furthermore, the lume still works in the new hand, which worries me quite a bit, should I be worried?

I am concerned if the hand really is an original hand from the 60'ies, I am not sure that just because it has a spear end it is original, what do you guys say? I will post better pictures later today, when I get near a proper camera.

The dealer is as honest as they come, and I am sure that he has not tried to trick me knowingly.
    Would you guys recommend that I ask for the replaced chrono hand to ensure that I have the complete original set in case of a future sale, even if it is not functioning properly?

Link to pictures of the watch: http://imgur.com/a/w2WgM

2. Davidt Jan 16, 2016

Looks like a superluminova hand.

The pic where the hand is illuminated. Is that just in the dark or have you charged the watch with a bright light? Dies the tip glow for a minute and then fade out or does it glow for hours?

3. yolohse Jan 16, 2016

I have charged the watch with very bright light, and the glow dies off in a couple of minutes. Without direct light exposure the hand does not glow, even in "total" darkness.

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 16, 2016

You could have a watchmaker remove the SL and pack it with some material that will make it look more age appropriate. Of course, it wouldn't be original, but it's not now anyway. If you ever sell it, that should be disclosed, but shouldn't affect value too much imho.

It's not the end of the world. That's a very nice looking watch with a very nice DON bezel.

5. Davidt Jan 16, 2016

Could be a newer tritium hand then.

6. yolohse Jan 16, 2016

I hope so, but the tritium should be worn out, no matter if the hand has been used before or not, if it is from the 60'ies right?

7. yolohse Jan 16, 2016

Thanks, the bezel is one of the things that really makes this watch stand out, along with the original bracelet with working spring joints.

8. abrod520 Jan 16, 2016

In the photos, it looks to me like the hand is the same color (when not illuminated) as the lume on the hour/min hands and the dial - could be photo lighting too though. My 145.022-69 has a light yellow lume fade that looks white in most photos.

9. yolohse Jan 16, 2016

The lume in the chrono is looks much newer because it has been subject to a very limited amount of sunlight but the pictures doesn't show that very well.

10. Davidt Jan 16, 2016

The half life of tritium is 12 or so years so although 'exposure' may affect the patina of the lume, I would expect its actual luminosity to be directly related to age.

its hard to tell for certain from a picture. I think it's least likely that it's a 60's hand. Possibly a tritium hand from years later, but looking at the brightness I thinks it's most likely to be superluminova.

11. yolohse Jan 16, 2016

I was thinking the same about the tritium.
    Okay, I think I will contact my dealer and see if it is possible to swap to SL with the old tritium if that is possible, then it only shows that the hand is "new" is in the center of the watch where the circular mount is very white