Forums Latest Members
  1. vadimo Aug 22, 2016

2. RegF Aug 22, 2016

I still have - one the Harrison mono pusher that was a limited release with a re-worked movement to spread out the details so viewing it in action is easier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and only recently sold one of their dive watches.

[​IMG]

Service from them is outstanding for a web-seller - the no-hassle return policy is one of the best around.

The build and finish is excellent for the cost.

They only use swiss movements for their autos, not sure about the quartz and they recently turned heads by releasing an in-house movement that is being rolled out across their range.

The CEO will often answer emails to the company.

I have one of their moonphase and divers on my short list for the "One Day Plan"

I'd have no hestation in giving them a thumbs up. :thumbsup:

Longbow and Darlinboy like this.
  3. vadimo Aug 22, 2016

That's cool, the dress watch you posted looks very smart. I am seriously consider for this x mas C60Trident Pro GMT 600. It will compete for the wrist space with my seamaster 300M.

Do they have recommend service intervals and is expensive?

4. RegF Aug 22, 2016

Both of mine were based upon standard ETA movements, the chromo is modified.

It part of a rotation of 60ish, so doesn't get lots of wear.

I've had it about 3 years from memory and haven't serviced it yet, so can't comment n their costs.

Although I'm more likely to just take it to my regular guy, being an ETA-based piece.

That said, unless anybody else chimes in, I would be surprised if their in-house service section was over-priced, given that their whole brand is focused on "affordable luxury".

The new Trident is definitely on my radar!

I wouldn't put them in quite the same category as the Omega range, but they are damn close and for the money, they are excellent value!

My only negative - and its just a niggle - is that they changed their logo recently and I don't like it as much as their old one.

vadimo likes this.
  5. vadimo Aug 22, 2016

6. imagwai Aug 22, 2016

The movements are all Swiss aren't they? Here's one I sold recently. Picked it up in one of their frequent sales and it was a fantastic watch, but it was a bit of an impulse buy and wasn't deemed essential to my collection when something else came along that I wanted :)
    DSCF1972.JPG

vadimo likes this.
  7. vadimo Aug 22, 2016

depends on which watch you buy, but talking about Trident collection you get:

With Pro ETA 2893-2 or Sellita SW200-1
    With Pro GMT it is ETA 2893-2
    With Chronometer - it is in-house movement, Calibre SH21 - which i find very impressive for online company that is not owned by any 'group' and 5 days power reserve!! - but i fear it may be too chunky for my taste, i dont think asking price is a rip off either!

I got an appointment now this Friday in their showroom :) will then decide and wait for x-mas sale.

RegF likes this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 23, 2016

A couple of points noted on watch forums elsewhere in the interests of balance and full disclosure. C Ward have a rather confused marketing strategy meaning they run near constant sales. If you pay over 70% of list on any of their mainstream stuff you have paid too much, this makes these pieces very weak in the secondary market. It is tricky to form an opinion on second hand value when the new price yo yos up and down. Next the issue of the logo change, I mean why do it? You are bound to divide opinion. Thirdly some of their pieces are very expensive and have a faint whiff of Frankiln Mint naff about then. Like Bremont, CW sell pieces containing slivers of sports cars and fighter planes and charge up to £4000 for them. Not my idea of class. In short, a good value well built brand ruined by confused marketing.

9. imagwai Aug 23, 2016

I would dispute this to a degree. The sales do affect used values somewhat, but the heavy discounts have only been applied to old models and the less popular colour combinations. In other words, stock they want to get rid of. And 70%? I don't recall seeing anything discounted more than 50%.

RegF likes this.
  10. ConElPueblo Aug 23, 2016

So, just like Omega?

RegF likes this.
  11. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 23, 2016

I said 70% of list, that is a 30% discount. I was picking an arbitrary figure to illustrate my point which is that you will take a big, big bath if you buy a CW at RRP.

Edited Aug 23, 2016
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 23, 2016

Very true but you have to do a bit of hard work and digging to get that level of discount for an Omega, you won't get any in a boutique for instance and this has the effect of maintaining a decent value on the secondary market. Even Rolex suffer from the grey market exploiting pricing differences in markets and arbitraging them.

As an illustration, does the wife of Omega's CEO sell discount vouchers for Omega on eBay? I think Mrs Hayek, (assuming there is one) doesn't. That is one of the sales techniques C Ward have used and I am afraid it rather smacks of desperation to me. I am not knocking the product, they punch way above their price point (well the mainstream non silly stuff anyhow) but the the softness of that price point is the reason why I find it hard to take them seriously. I guess they alternate between trying to be taken seriously and chasing volume. Are they J S Watch or Dornbluth or are they Citizen? They should stick to one or the other. If they had a proper marketing strategy they could be a serous player, sadly in the WIS community the damage may be already done.

Edited Aug 23, 2016
    Traveler likes this.
  13. Traveler Aug 23, 2016

Plus something as simple as getting your logo 'wrong' shows a lack of business acumen. The original one was curious but understandable. I've yet to see a positive reaction on the new one, even from diehard fans .... Looks like a Bell&Ross esque imitation .. The trident thing is cool though

image.png

14. vadimo Aug 23, 2016

i just want to buy second watch that i like and i really liked Trident collection, i dont care about second hand sale value, i might also choose to engrave something so its a watch i am going to keep.

Think for the price you get a lot and it does look good.

The only sale i have seen is on their website for old stock really. I am sure like ADs or manufacture boutiques CW are entitled to have sale on their entire lineup.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 23, 2016

Take the review with a grain of salt - I found a review/interview of Adams and ABTW by CW the other day - seems like almost a quid pro quo thing going on there - give me a good review and I'll give you a good review...

This is the second logo change in just a few years - the original CW logo was much less intrusive than the "Chr. WARD" or full spelling out of the name is. That alone would probably prevent me from getting one.

The only one I've handled in person was a nice watch - seemed to be solidly built - think it was a Trident diver. Just met someone who had one on while at a sporting event last year...

Don't know much about their "in-house" movement so can't say how "in-house" it really is...

Cheers, Al