Forums Latest Members

Christopher Ward ... QC issues continue

1. Madjam1966 Aug 24, 2019

2. Madjam1966 Aug 24, 2019

3. jpbrackin Aug 24, 2019

I've owned a titanium Christopher Ward Makaira Elite 500 COSC quality watch for a long time now. It was delivered with what appears like dirt adhering to the edges of my hour hand, or chipping of the lume. It is surprising that it passed quality control back then. But... I do like the watch and it has become a rugged everyday piece. I never bothered to send it back to them to see if they would rectify it, I was too turned off by the import process of their selected carrier (or I randomly had a bad experience). This photo moderately captures the issue, which to me is disappointing and has kept me away from them despite liking a few of them. image1 (1).jpeg

Mark020 likes this.
  4. KingCrouchy Aug 25, 2019

5. stuart70 Aug 26, 2019

I had one, sent it back and had lots of problems getting my money back. The watch had various logo’s on the different parts:case, strap, buckle and box. It had the appearance of being made up of what was left over. I personally think that they to invest in both quality control and customer service. Their main movement designer left recently as well.

6. tikkathree Aug 27, 2019

I don't so much spring to CW's defence against all criticism but the fact is that I've probably owned and flipped the best part of two dozen CW watches in quartz and auto and to this day have not experienced a single failure. But that's just me, one owner among many. I still like the C60 MkII with those onion hands and, had I never owned a Seamaster, would probably have been content.

7. jpbrackin Aug 27, 2019

I agree... my CW Makaira diver is practically the most useful, 'fun' watch I've owned. Personally I wouldn't discourage someone from a CW if they like one. But, similar to your experience, after getting to taste a nicer watch I think many people will feel the desire to upgrade from a CW - a feeling that I'd say is virtually absent in the ownership of a Seamaster or Sub. At that point, you're really just playing with your taste buds or tricking yourself. Just my opinion.

8. Madjam1966 Aug 29, 2019

They're a mess of a brand everywhere. The last two customer service managers have resigned quickly. The quality has gone also yet their prices have rocketed. Been existence for over 10 years yet still very few have heard of them and they boast they're up their with the likes of Rolex, Omega etc. How crass and vain is that?

Qwertyqaz and stuart70 like this.
  9. Madjam1966 Aug 30, 2019

10. Socks Sep 11, 2019

Wow that's shocking. I was going to recommend my sister-in-law looked at CW watches on a short-list for my nephew's 18th birthday gift. Will be pulling that recommendation.

Not having all the time to read all the CW forum posts but sort of interested on the association with the CW Forum and the SC company. Am I reading it that CW 'own' the Forum? That brings up a whole relationship question that the forum has been discussing with extremes ranging from:-
    a) The forum should be actively representing issues that members aren't getting resolution with directly if the administrators have access to the management team.
    or,
    b) The forum is supported technically & financially by CW but remains independent and a discussion forum for like-minded watch enthusiasts.

11. Madjam1966 Sep 11, 2019

Good points. The brand owns, runs, administers, funds the forum and the Admin is, or was until recently, an employee. That to me makes a mockery of the term 'independent'?! The forum Moderators (aka 'The Admin Team') are all associated with the brand in one way or another and have regular board meetings and influence with the brand at their HQ. Independent? Hmm

To me the whole 'independent' forum thing is BS. The 'Admin Team' police the forum heavily and many have been banned for speaking up, myself included. You can tell the bias as when issues are raised these Mods etc often fail to empathise and try to twist the issue. It is also known that other brand employees are forum members to help influence/deflect issues where possible.

At least one of the Admin Team is on here and numerous other forums and does his best to quieten bad news. It's a very elitist clique and something now I am pleased I am no longer apart of.

There is also a Christopher Ward Enthusiasts Group on Facebook which tends to overlap the forum to an extent but there strangely tends yo be a rivalry. I too was banned from that simply because it was known I was (unfairly) banned from the forum. They're a very paranoid and controlling bunch.

As the brand encourages its customers and fans to join the 'forum family', a kind of fan club I guess, when you're banned it's a direct reflection on the brand in my eyes. To that effect I have since sold all my CW watches and will no longer purchase any more.

The brand used to be good, modest, well priced. They're now very pompous, vain, rude and often cheat by copying others' advertising campaigns, watches and quite often have unnecessary and nasty digs at the bigger brands. This often backfires, especially when their QC and customer service issues go through bad times. Ironically the CEO was recently questioned about such terribly bad QCing and he denied it, adding that the quality of CW watches is as good as any of the big brands now. I am not sure if that is delusional, ignorance, pompous or just laughable... or a bit of all.

CW watches aren't the worst but their BS approach, hit and miss build quality and vanity puts me off now anyway even if I was tempted back. There are far better brands offering better quality and for less out there.

I once owned 9 CW watches. All bar 3 had build quality or mechanical failure issues. I am/was just one of many in that unfortunate boat.

KingCrouchy and Socks like this.
  12. Socks Sep 11, 2019

When you put it like that, I'll go with opinion a).

Although you can't manage QC and Customer Complaints through a forum. You need a formal Customer Services dept as part of the business. This wishy-washy forum connection to the business is just wrong!

KingCrouchy likes this.
  13. Madjam1966 Sep 11, 2019

It is. But the brand deny involvement/association with the forum (which they run, administer and fund). The formal complaints procedure is through the CW business via their customer services but the folk come complaining on the forum as the brand is slow or useless in dealing with such complaints. It's a mess. I have never seen any other business run so badly.

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. Madjam1966 Sep 12, 2019

@Downer

Come on defend yourself in between slagging off other brands too.

15. Madjam1966 Sep 12, 2019

16. Madjam1966 Sep 19, 2019

17. saulgoodman Sep 19, 2019

Wow! I have considered purchasing a Christopher Ward watch on several occasions and it is stuff like this that prevents me from doing so. It is much the same with the dozens of microbrands that have popped up here and there over the past few years. I have trouble believing that these products are worth my time and money. I'm sure that some are worthy, but with so much established quality out there it is hard to put your trust in companies like Ward, let alone relative unknowns.

18. Madjam1966 Sep 19, 2019

I have bought numerous microbrand watches before, Ventus, Zelos, Marloe (superb btw), Newmark and all are half that Ward charge and far better built and more reliable. Ward have lost the plot with regards to build, QC, price and countless examples of poor customer services (eg. watches regularly failing, being returned and then lost).

19. scapa Sep 20, 2019

I owned a Trident 600 for years. Nicely-built case, but lost around 20s a day on average. They refused to replace or regulate the watch/ movement without “clear evidence” until I got the CC company involved. Finally got it repaired properly and passed it on, but would not consider another one. My sense is that the product line is maybe too varied and requires frequent refreshes in order to generate sales. CS in my case was indifferent and often chaotic, a real weakness in an ever-more competitive market.

Madjam1966 likes this.
  20. Madjam1966 Sep 22, 2019