Forums Latest Members

Christie's Speedmaster Mark II Racing Dial - Painted Pushers?

1. adrienbelanger Jan 28, 2016

I was scrolling through Christie's online-only "Rare Omega Watches" sale and there are four Speedmaster Mark IIs on offer. When I took a closer look at lot 9 (Mark II with racing dial), I was surprised to see that the lower chronograph pusher has a small indentation with red and yellow paint in it, similar to the pushers on a Flightmaster.

The condition report states that "The paint is missing from the top chronograph pusher and some of the paint is in the bottom pusher".

I haven't seen painted pushers on a racing dial Mark II before. Is this how they came from the factory, or has someone gone a bit colour-crazy and swapped in some Flightmaster pushers? The hands are also wrong so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the latter.

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/...ng-dial-ref-145-014-9/24359#collapseCondition

Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 17.29.07.png Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 17.29.38.png

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 28, 2016

Appear to be Flightmaster pushers to me. I'm not aware of any Mk. II that used those, but if someone has evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it.

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 28, 2016

You can always rely on an auction house....

watchknut and oddboy like this.
  4. Dogmann Feb 4, 2016

Hi all,

No surprise really but yet again Christie's has an Omega Baby PloProf 166.0250 which they described as " The dial and hands appear to be original and in excellent condition." When in fact the dial is a service dial as has a solid single 12 marker unlike the original also the hands are far to white and clean for a 40yr old watch and to be Tritium and look to be Luminova and although not mentioned the bezel is also a service Luminova replacement with only lume at the 12 marker triangle as opposed to Tritium and fully lumed original. Not really surprised there are no bids on this as yet. I notified Christie's the last time they listed one like this so it seems they either don't learn or just don't care.

On another note it does seem that Baby PloProf's of any variety are becoming very rare even the service dial and bezel or Watchco versions are few and far between and prices for those around have risen sharply. As for truly original examples in good condition good luck finding one. Mine says Hi!

[​IMG]IMAG0068 by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

You can compare it to the one Christies has for auction at this link to see the differences I have highlighted.
    https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/...oprof-ref-166-0250-19/24369#collapseCondition

Marc

Edited Feb 8, 2016
  5. fibonacci086 Feb 4, 2016

I was thinking the same when I saw it. I also have one in a beautiful state
    baby.png

Dogmann likes this.