Forums Latest Members

Christie’s Watch Shop – Buying Vintage Watches With Confidence

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Oct 27, 2014

[​IMG]
    Collecting vintage watches is not easy. To put it mildly. You need to bring a fair bit of knowledge, make sure the dealer or seller has a good reputation and make sure the watch is functioning properly. There are a lot of pitfalls and although there are some generic hints and tips that can be given, you need to become subject matter expert to buy with real confidence. One possibility is to buy a watch at an auction. Experts have studied the watch and tried to give it a good estimation. However, most of the auction pieces are special pieces […]
    The post Christie’s Watch Shop – Buying Vintage Watches With Confidence appeared first on Fratello Watches.

2. Dogmann Oct 27, 2014

Hi all,

Well I just looked at some of the watches that they have for sale and whilst they seem to have some nice examples of some quite rare watches their description and authentication leaves quite a lot to be desired IMHO. I am far from being an expert but I see a lot of the time they are saying that the dial and hands are original to this watch and fail to comment on the bezel at all.

Now for the one watch I do know something about an Omega Baby PloProf 166.0250 they are saying the hands and dial are original to this watch when I know for a fact it is a service dial and although not 100% sure the hands do not look to be Tritium either but again service hands and the bezel is also a service replacement. So this really doesn't do much to inspire my confidence in what they are offering for sale and their description of what it is, check it out for you self and see what you think here is the link to it.

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/...seamaster-divers-watch-ref-1660250-177/10209/

Also the price they are asking is very high for a good example with service bezel, dial and hands I wonder just how much they would value one that actually is all original.

Marc

Samuel_V, epl108, Darlinboy and 2 others like this.
  3. ulackfocus Oct 27, 2014

Yeah, "confidence" isn't a term I'd use for most auction houses including Christie's when it comes to vintage watch authenticity and originality. Substitute "caveat emptor" for more accuracy.

hermes4, gatorcpa, Spacefruit and 3 others like this.
  4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 28, 2014

There are @ least (2) dozen regular posters on this forum who have infinitely more knowledge on vintage Omega and usually at least (2) other popular vintage brands than any auction house appraiser. This, I'm confident of.

I'm pretty good with Rolex 1950 to 1989 but not good enough to consider myself an expert. I do however think I'd score better on an objective exam vs. almost every auction house appraiser. Not as high degree as confidence as the former...this place has serious Omega experts.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 28, 2014

Good for people with fat wallets with shinny, shinny syndrome. ( and they do not have time for guys like us..)

They do have a habit of pushing prices up, good or bad depending on stock on hand and buying or selling.

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 28, 2014

Auctioneers wear suits.

i no longer deal with anyone in a suit Without a red light going inside my head until I leave their presence.

Longbow and Mothra like this.
  7. ulackfocus Oct 28, 2014

business-shark-23100778.jpg

Longbow, cicindela, TNTwatch and 2 others like this.
  8. JohnSteed Oct 28, 2014

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 28, 2014

I agree there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here, but keep in mind even here you see a degree of specialization with some experts knowing all about Speedmasters, others with Constellations, some with early manual winds - so personally if you see this here on a forum that is specifically Omega (mostly anyway) I would not expect an auction house to be as good as the people here.

I don't believe most of these places would have an expert that is dedicated to a specific brand even - likely they have a couple of people who specialize in watches and clocks, so it would be difficult for them to know the subtleties across all brands and model lines. I think the expectation that they would know all the details across all brands is unrealistic. Not making an excuse for them, just saying more that any faith put in them would be suspect in my view.

"But with confidence" is probably overstating it, and too bad that it's being reported the way it is.

10. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2014

The little videos about some of the watches the Christie's site are sometimes laughably simplistic and occasionally error-ridden.

11. NT931 Nov 3, 2014

Hmm, they just listed some watches with very odd pricings - some overpriced, some underpriced.

There was a lovely 36mm Lange 1815 up/down that was underpriced. I made the fatal mistake of hesitating for 30 min as I'd always wanted a white dial rather than the dark blue, and it got snatched up right in front of me. D'oh! Managed to snag another 1815 instead, will let you all know how it turns out. I was lucky in this venture to have had advice a few months ago from MikiJ & Gavin more recently too, thanks M & G!

I had initially expected that there would be a commission added on just like in auctions, but surprisingly there was free shipping, plus a 1% insurance fee (which probably paid for the shipping haha). So all I have to pay in addition is GST. Most importantly, let see if their description matches the watch when it arrives, it could turn out to be a very expensive mishap!

12. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 3, 2014

Congrats my friend. I wouldn't be too worried about the modern stuff they are selling, yours included. And if you want something bad enough, I wouldn't be too worried if it's overly priced or not. ;) And yes, no added buyer's premium. Looking forward to see it.

13. NT931 Nov 3, 2014

You know me too well ;) heh heh. This is going to be my first platinum watch so I'm pretty excited ::jumpy::

14. ulackfocus Nov 3, 2014

That's a REALLY NFW man! ::love::

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2014

Wow, man that's a pretty serious purchase and a brilliant watch

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2014

Just noticed its PT950 not 18K WG, that's even more impressive

17. NT931 Nov 3, 2014

Thanks guys! I admit that immediately after I bought the watch I sort of sank back in the chair and said "OMFG, what did I just do?!". Which was rapidly followed by "OMFG what is the wife going to say when it arrives??!!!"

hermes4, timeismoney and repoman like this.
  18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2014

It creates a self perpetuating cycle, volunteer for more overtime hours to hide from angry wife, have more to spend on German ultra high-end watches then repeat.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 3, 2014

Congrats on the 1815 - that is probably my favourite ALS...

Now the watchmaker in me wonders if this thing has ever been serviced. They say that the condition of the movement is appropriate for it's age, whatever that means - it's a 1996 watch...

Will be interested to see how it runs.

Cheers, Al

20. NT931 Nov 3, 2014

Thanks Al! I'm going to assume it hasn't been serviced in some time, since I am also unsure what Christie's definition of "good working order" is. So once it reaches me, it's off to the spa. Hopefully no major parts need replacement...