Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 2, 2014

I work with colour - and the differences in colours can make a huge difference in values. I was told, many years ago, that the human eye cannot remember colour - at least not well enough for a coloured stone dealer to judge and stay alive in business.

" Always Compare! " is my mantra.

So I am playing around with some of the watches, always learning, and here are two browns:

P8020003-001.JPG

Both are 2911xxxx serials, the one the left is fully serviced and correctly appointed, while the right has a very new bezel, new hands and needs a little work to make it nice. Finding hands is the bane of my life.

Are they both brown? Well here is the weaker brown with a black dial for comparison.

P8020004-001.JPG

2. woodwkr2 Aug 2, 2014

So is there a systematic way of doing this? I know there are expensive colorimeters out there, but I think I had an iphone app once that did the same thing and then output the color as a Pantone value.

<Gasp> If we could establish a normal range of acceptable colors from authentic chocolate dials, perhaps we could detect 'Oven baked' dials as well.

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 2, 2014

Luckily for me....no

So far, intuitive judgement beats science when it comes to finding the best stones.

And that will probably be the case for the man-made browns - which I believe are acid washed, not heated.

Heat for the lume, acid for the base.

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. sulaco Aug 2, 2014

These have a more milk chocolate brown color as mine have, mine are more like dark chocolate ;)
    Great watches:thumbsup:

5. miccro Aug 2, 2014

best option would be to do what you have done- always post with a 'control' watch- new or newish run of speedmaster that is still deep black, the beauty of tropicals which im sure you enjoy; is how the dial tone constantly shifts in light.- photos for the hell of it - its a sunny day here !

IMG_0812web.jpg
    IMG_0819web.jpg

mike

IMG_0810web.jpg
    JohnSteed, michael e, Gavin and 2 others like this.
  6. michael e Still learning. Aug 3, 2014

My only chocolate.
    [​IMG]

homebrw, miccro, Barking mad and 3 others like this.