Forums Latest Members

SOLD Chocolate Dial Speedmaster 145022-69 (Featured on Speedmaster101)

1. Boony Aug 15, 2021

Brand and Model: Omega Speedmaster Professional
    Reference: 145.022-69
    Case: Stainless steel
    Omega Extract of the Archives: Included (Discontinued A4 Version)
    Original Delivery: USA in March 25th 1970
    Serial: 29,115,XXX (within the known serial range for brown dials)

Dear forum members,

I'm a collector of vintage watches, including Speedmasters and this watch comes from my personal collection. I purchased the watch from esteemed forum member @Spacefruit (aka Speedmaster101) in October 2018, the watch having been serviced by Simon Freese. Prior to it making his collection, I understand this was a watch that came from the original owner (possibly son of) based in the USA.

This is a glorious watch with an incredible brown dial that would grace any world class Speedmaster collection. I'm happy to arrange a face to face meeting or video call to present and discuss the watch in further detail should this be of interest.

Declaration:

- To assess the originality and condition of parts, I am using aspects of the assessment/ condition grade structure devised and shared by Speedmaster101
    - Further component detail is referenced from MOONWATCH ONLY, Revised and Expanded Edition 2017

Key:

Part Assessment:
    · Original
    · Correct
    · Service
    · Incorrect
    · Non-Omega

Condition Grade:
    · Excellent
    · Very Good
    · Good
    · Fair
    · Poor

Assessment Overview:

Dial:
    · Type C1: Medium S – Step Dial (1969-74)
    - Professional Inscription
    - Painted logo
    - Short tritium markers, not through minutes scale
    - Spaced T’s in T SWISS MADE T inscription
    - The originally black painted dial has turned brown as is sometimes observed with this reference
    · Assessment: Original
    · Condition: Excellent

The dial is a beautiful swirling milk chocolate brown. No blemishes or scratches are observed. All white paint is intact including typography, minutes scale and chronograph counters. The tritium lume is consistent across the dial and yellow in colour. This is a very fine dial making this watch stand out from other brown examples.

Bezel:
    · Type B1: Dot Diagonal 70/ Dot Over 90 (1961/70)
    - Accented ‘E’ in TACHYMETRE
    - C stretched and closed
    - E with middle stroke shorter than others
    - 7 with a serif

Steel support with black aluminium insert. Consistent colouring throughout. Clear typography. Only very small imperfections visible in certain lighting or under loop.

Case:
    - Condition: Very good
    - Assessment: Original

· Case Middle
    - Type B1. Asymmetrical - twisted lugs
    - 42mm excluding crown and bezel
    - Brushed sides and top, polished oblique surfaces

· Case Back
    - Type A4. Speedmaster in Centre – Single Bevel (1967-71)
    - Case Reference 145022-69
    - Makers Mark - ‘HF’ (Huguenin Freres)

· Dust Cover
    - Correct and present in Excellent condition

The case is clean with very sharp edges. Original outlines can be clearly seen. The case back slots are nicely square. The seahorse remains defined and in very good condition.

Movement:
    · Type B1: 861 Copper – Steel Brake (1968/74)
    - All copper bridges are of the same colour
    · Assessment: Original (with Extract of Archives)
    · Condition: Excellent (visual)

I am not a watch maker. Comments are based on the originality and visual condition of the movement. The watch was purchased in October 2018 having been serviced by Simon Freese. It has seen very light use and timing/ chrono functions are all in working order. Visually the movement is very clean and the experience through wear is that this keeps good time.

Hands:
    · Type C2: Baton – Flat (1968-1997)
    - Baton hands with white paint
    - Tritium Luminescence on hours, minutes, chrono hands
    · Assessment: Correct, assumed original
    · Condition: Good

The hands have aged and have a patina to them that is observed with other brown dial Speedmasters. The handset, including sub register hands are all consistent in their degradation making it hard to believe they’re anything but 100% original.

They cannot be described as anything other than ‘good’ because they have gone brown and the lume has turned black. A small hole also exists in the chrono hand lume. If you like patina, these are exactly as you’d want to see them!

Pushers:
    · Wide and Tall

Crown:
    · Type A3: 24 (Sometimes 22) – Wide logo (from 1970)
    - 22 Teeth (Are these rarer than 24 tooth crowns?)
    - Logo with wide, angular feet

Crystal:
    · Type A3 – Long Feet
    - Hesalite crystal
    · Assessment: Correct
    · Condition: Very Good

Bracelet:
    · Type 6: 1039 with 512 end links (1966 to 72)
    - Three flat links per row, outer links folded over on the inside
    - Brushed centres and polished sides
    - Grooves on each side of the clasp cover
    - Number 13 on inside clasp
    - Logo in relief and non-projecting
    · Assessment: Correct
    · Condition: Very Good

Conclusion:

A highly original and rare example of the 145022-69 Speedmaster, in very good condition and with Omega Extract of the Archive. A great opportunity to buy a very nice piece with perfect tropical dial from 1970, a watch that is hard to find and greatly sought after.

Included in sale:
    - Watch as described
    - Modern Red Omega Watch Case
    - Omega Extract of Archives

Price:
    · £15,995

Available immediately in London, UK. UK Deals are preferred. Face to face where possible or via trusted means. Price does not include any shipping or insurance fees.

All images are my own, using iPhoneX. I concede that the pictures are not great, and my skills will never do this watch justice. As with all brown/ tropical dials, it has to be seen in the metal to get a proper appreciation for the dial and its colour.

I welcome a virtual viewing and discussion via Zoom/ WebEx/ Microsoft Teams or Facetime. I have references on Omega Forums and I can be contacted on here or via my Instagram account, 'watchescarswinecigars'

As featured on Speedmaster101

The watch as on Speedmaster101.PNG

speedy00122.jpg

pocket.jpg

2. Boony Aug 17, 2021

Lots of views. Anyone making an offer? Before I change my mind (again)… :(;)::facepalm1::

Spacefruit and ckhaing like this.
  3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 19, 2021

While 3 pictures is the legal minimum, you may have more success by posting more pictures that show off the watch: the dial, case (is it polished? What is the wear like? How is the brushing? Caseback?), bracelet, end-links (I have never seen a 512 end-link…they must be super rare so would love to see one ;) ), a movement shot etc etc. The dial looks lovely, how about showing it off in different lighting conditions? Certainly you must have lots of pictures of this watch from the pleasure you had in wearing it? GLWS and have a free bump on me! From these 2 photos I guess it’s a stunning piece…(and mods, if I have violated any rules, feel free to delete)

Shabbaz, Mooieklokjes, MtV and 10 others like this.
  4. Boony Aug 20, 2021

Yes, good shout my friend. And thank you for pointing out the typo! They're of course 516 ends and I will go ahead an edit. Sorry the pics are not great but if any interested parties would like me to attempt a better shot of any specific parts, let me know! Thanks :)

jhb (2)_LI.jpg jhkl (2).jpg jhtt (2).jpg jhu (3).jpg speedy001.jpg speedy1 (2).jpg wd (2).jpg wefsss.jpg eoa_LI (2).jpg
    Spacefruit, Robert M, Seacow and 4 others like this.
  5. Boony Aug 20, 2021

J-Luc, AAAKK, Spacefruit and 8 others like this.
  6. Boony Aug 27, 2021

Happy BH weekend to all those Omega fans in the UK!

F5E21BF9-7E4E-4103-8E54-A7EA5A2D9E17.jpeg

Om3ga321, Gefa, 64Wing and 4 others like this.
  7. Boony Sep 9, 2021

After a few chats and some offers (thank you for those), we've not quite got to where we need to be. I'm ready to do a deal. £15K is a bargain for a brown dial with correct bracelet and ends... nice DON, great case. You know you want to!

Spacefruit likes this.
  8. Boony Sep 17, 2021

With extract! Real beauty! £14750

0197B51A-BEF2-48B7-8067-BD871FAFD6BF.jpeg

Spacefruit likes this.
  9. Boony Sep 24, 2021

My last post before it goes back into its watch box for a few years… wonder what it’ll be worth then? Yours for £14250. Thank you for your interest :)

202A3C80-0AC5-412D-B86F-C96FBCAC0862.jpeg
    Spacefruit likes this.
  10. Boony Sep 28, 2021

Sold. Thanks OF

11. paddymoran Feb 23, 2022

Hi, I’m hoping you can help with a query My 145.022 was manufactured just nine days after the beautiful Speedy you sold. I’m keen to obtain a 1039 with appropriate date on the clasp. Is there any chance you can recall the date on yours (assuming it was original to the watch)? I’m not sure if I should have a 4 69 or a 170. Thanks so much.

12. Boony Feb 23, 2022

hi mate. Ah send pics! It certainly shouldn’t be 4/69… you need a 1/70 or a 2/70… what month is on your extract?

paddymoran likes this.
  13. paddymoran Feb 23, 2022

Thanks for coming back to me! Your watch was 25 Match and mine is 3 April - so very close neighbours!! So I was thinking maybe 1/70 for the 1039 bracelet but I just wondered whether they’d have had stock of bracelets there to be fitted. Since you’ve asked I’ve included a picture beside a NOS ‘74 :) Dial not “tropical brown” but that’s okay, although the serial number is in the right range (2911…).

819BD028-521B-4E59-9C5D-3855BAC0880D.jpeg E76370E9-FA77-4D88-A91C-87A893730667.jpeg
  14. Boony Feb 23, 2022

A 2/70 would be right for that then. Good luck hunting for one. Great watches !!

paddymoran likes this.