Forums Latest Members
  1. albertob May 30, 2019

Gents,

I’m heading to Chicago next week for holidays.
    1st time there.

Any suggestions on:
    - what to see (except basic turistic places)?
    - where is a great steakhouse and burger place?
    - any shooting range?
    - which watches shop are you recommending?

Cheers and God bless America
    Alberto

noelekal and sdre like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 30, 2019

I grew up in Evanston, which is the first suburb north of Chicago on the lake. It is a beautiful town, and given good weather, I would recommend a nice, leisurely walk around, and especially along near or along the lake, including the Northwestern University campus. Evanston can be reached easily by the "L" (i.e. elevated) train from almost anywhere in central Chicago.

The Art Institute of Chicago is one of the great museums in the world, and well worth a visit.

If you are not afraid to spend some money, watching a Cubs baseball game at Wrigley Field would be a treat. It is probably the last of the truly intimate old ballparks, and the experience is very different from that in large, modern stadiums.

Enjoy your stay, Alberto!

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 30, 2019

Chicago is an amazing and cutting edge restaurant town beyond Steak but if you must ..Gibson’s on Rush. Deep dish Pizza: Uno or Due. Best Seafood ... Shaw’s. Italian small plates, Quartino. I would highly recommend, no I insist, the architecture boat tour (river) by either The Chicago Architecture Foundation (SE corner of Wacker and Michigan) or Wendella (base of the Wrigley building) ... art institute, millennium park, bar at the top of the Hancock building, Chicago Symphony, Lyric Opera, Chicago Shakespeare Theater, lots of theater actually . Bike the lakefront. Museum of modern art, enjoy our fair city. It’s spectacular. All the watch shopping these days is on Michigan ave. I’m fond of Marshall Pierce on Michigan.

4. albertob May 31, 2019

Fantastic! I’ll definitely visit Evanston!
    Thanks a lot Tony!

Tony C. likes this.
  5. albertob May 31, 2019

Thanks a lot Harry!

Any recommended shooting range?

6. timestamp May 31, 2019

I can second the Architecture Boat Tour, it’s great :thumbsup:

And of course Willis Tower... at dusk, if possible. If you are into hipster shops/cafes/bars, take a stroll around Wicker Park.

pweingarten, Larry S and albertob like this.
  7. Sublime_1 May 31, 2019

Mad Dog likes this.
  8. Mac5 May 31, 2019

+1 on Art Museum. Awesome!
    Museum of Science and Industry is also excellent.
    Chicago chop house for excellent an excellent steak.
    As a St. Louis native, can't with good conscious recommend a Cubs game....

albertob and Larry S like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 31, 2019

Shooting ranges are mostly suburbs.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 31, 2019

I’m remiss ... Museum of Science and Industry is spectacular, as is Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium and Field Museum.

Professor likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 31, 2019

Violet Hour cocktail bar in Wicker Park.

albertob likes this.
  12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 31, 2019

Quite the most breathtaking thing I have seen for a long time, certainly in any city:
    https://www.msichicago.org/explore/whats-here/exhibits/u-505-submarine/

While I used to recommend a cubs game, now you are deafened by advertisements and a massive bright blinding screen, blaring vapid rubbish between every play. The last time I went I had to leave - It used to be a fun evening, talking with those around you between plays, but now its miserable.

+1 on the Art Institute.

albertob, Mac5 and Larry S like this.
  13. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. May 31, 2019

I'll pile on yet another Art Institute recommendation. The permanent collection is vast and world class, and there is a Manet exhibition that just opened this week. I have a membership and caught the preview, and it was fantastic. Manet isn't my favorite but the sheer number of works by him was impressive.

Next week is a good week for a Cubs game - on Monday Mike Trout, the greatest active ballplayer (an all-time talent in his prime), will be in town and after that Nolan Arenado is coming to town, another young star and future hall of famer that still hasn't peaked.

14. Pvt-Public Jun 1, 2019

I hardly remember anything about Chicago. I lived in Oak Lawn, (111th & S. Kenneth Ave.) just SW of the city. From '63 to '74. Haven't been back since.

15. pweingarten Jun 1, 2019

Still live here (most of the time!) and I can attest to all the great recommendations above. Don't forget the Chicago River Walk; it's relatively new and still one of the best shows in town!

Larry S and albertob like this.
  16. 89-0 Jun 1, 2019

Italian Beef sandwich at Portillos.

albertob likes this.
  17. chanbar Jun 1, 2019

Au Cheval has the best burger I’ve had and is a must stop when I visit my old stomping grounds

albertob likes this.
  18. Gentle Ben Jun 1, 2019

I lived in Chicago for several years. Put this on and hit the streets. You will stumble upon a gem.

19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 1, 2019

Love Chicago. I seriously considered moving there some years ago.
    Another vote for art institute, lakefront, and the tours of the Chicago Architecture Foundation. If you like arts and design the walking tours as I recall were more informative and erudite than the boat tour— but the boat tour is more fun and quicker.
    Frank Lloyd Wright tour in Oak Park also a must if you’re so inclined.
    Chicago Cultural Center in the now restored former public library building with the largest Tiffany glass dome in the world IIRC also seems very cool but I haven’t seen it.

20. 89-0 Jun 1, 2019

+1 on this, but pass on the Ernest Hemingway landmarks in Oak Park (his birthplace)....nothing to see.

Oh, and there's a Portillo's minutes away from Oak Park :whistling:

Syrte likes this.