Forums Latest Members

Chicago AD which one do you like

1. andrew03 Oct 4, 2017

I live in the Chicago area, looking to buy my first Omega Seamaster 300. I will buy from an AD. Since their are several AD's in the area, has anyone had an experience dealing with the AD's in this area. Or how about the OB in Chicago, my feeling is taxes are high downtown may not be worth it.

Also I would be interested in the Adjustable/push clasp for the 300, could the AD get this for me or should I get that at the OB?

Thanks

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 4, 2017

3. Shailor Oct 4, 2017

I looked at their website. Like Jake Blues said when they were driving through the mall: "This place has everything!"

4. Le Chef Oct 5, 2017

Ask for Harvey - he's worked with the best watch brands, is knowledgable and is "customer friendly".

5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Oct 5, 2017

mikechi22 likes this.
  6. SamQue Oct 5, 2017

Great selection and service at Burdeens. Bought a Tudor there back in March. Only problem is that they moved from the north side of Lake-Cook Rd. to the south side of the street. Therefore you have to pay the higher Cook County tax. In any event, their service was great.

Also, had my Ulysse Nardin serviced there. Also great work and fast turn-around time

7. mikechi22 Oct 5, 2017

God. Who would change TO Cook County if they didn’t have to?!?

To avoid that crazy 10% tax, I would buy online from an AD in a low tax jurisdiction and then just bring it to the location downtown to have it sized once it arrives. I’m going to bet they’ll even throw in shipping.

8. SamQue Oct 5, 2017

I agree, they moved from a strip mall and built a huge building on the south side of the street. I'm sure you can save money buying on line and having an Omega sized at the downtown boutique but I do my best to stay away from downtown Chicago traffic. Also, nice to have an AD you know and they know you. I suppose you can buy it in Chicago and pay 11% sales tax. Its a no win situation when it comes to sales tax in Chicago and Cook County.

9. mikechi22 Oct 5, 2017

That day trip to Indiana or Iowa is probably the sweet spot of advice between what you and I are saying!

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 5, 2017

Avoiding cook and city taxes and city taxes is why I saved 4K by buying my JLC master moon at le Bonn Marche in Paris. Sad but I was there and they gave me a great deal.

11. mikechi22 Oct 5, 2017

Yes! One shouldn’t discard the idea of waiting until vacation to make such a wonderful acquisition! Get taxes back at airport, take advantage of favorable exchange rate (if possible) and have all those positive vibes from the trip attached to the object!

SamQue and Larry S like this.
  12. _Omega_ Oct 5, 2017

I like the OB downtown

13. andrew03 Oct 7, 2017

Thanks everyone. Yes the taxes are an issue, a lot depends on the deal and service. I know the AD in Brookfield WI has sales tax at 5.1% which is the cheapest in the area. But if I can get a good deal and great service here I don't mind paying a little more. Order online is fine, but for my first, I just want to see what I'm buying and have the experience. Thanks again.

14. Anthonyw Oct 7, 2017

I can also vouch for Burdeens. Harvey was great - very knowledgeable, nice, and not pushy. If you don't mind doing a cash fave to face meeting at a Starbucks, Drster is a great private dealer with watches at great prices (look for him on watchrecon).

15. djpatrick35 Oct 30, 2017

Hey guys. So I am an admin of the Burdeen's site. I'm going to use the Hair Club for Men thing because I was a Breitling, Omega, and Bell & Ross customer for about six years at Burdeen's before they hired me to do their marketing. 1. I hope my stuff's not too annoying & 2. I hope I can answer a couple of your questions here: Yes, it is now Cook County taxes now that we're in our standalone building UNLESS we ship to you - then the taxes are wherever you live. When we do ship, we presize the watch for you - all you have to do is measure your wrist or come in and we size it to you. If you come to the store, we size it to you and we can ship the watch to you and you can pay your home taxes so long as we ship the watch to your home address. We've been an Omega Dealer for over five years. It's a good place. When I was a customer only, I bought about 7 watches here - 6 Breitlings, a B&R, a Planet Ocean & a Deville, an IWC, and some jewelry to keep my wife from killing me for my watch addiction. If you have any direct questions, email [email protected] and I'll direct them to the proper source.

Anthonyw, mikechi22 and Larry S like this.