Forums Latest Members
  1. pitpro Likes the game. Jul 6, 2016

Chelsea Ship's Tide clock. 1969 Pat. Pending. Seems to be Bulova Accutron sweep movement. Massive 6 in diameter Solid brass. Weighs 5 pounds
    Chelsea I believe was the first to produce these.
    The first 2 years they had brushed silver dial. White after that.
    Yes it "hums"
    Any knowledge of these or input appreciated
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

JimInOz and Darlinboy like this.
  2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 6, 2016

One hell of hummer :)

vinn2, pitpro and Foo2rama like this.
  3. vinn2 Jul 7, 2016

i can't believe it.

4. agee Aug 31, 2016

Really interesting that this was posted
    About 3 weeks ago I found one of these Chelsea Ship's Tide clocks at an estate sale on Cape Cod. I had never seen one before-although I have seen many other Chelsea ship's clocks. My watch man and a clock expert I know have advised me to avoid buying any wind up Chelsea clocks that are not working. They said these clocks are very difficult to work on. This clock was not working, but I had to buy it and I would have been satisfied putting it on a shelf and having it be accurate only 2 times a day, if it could not be repaired. It was that cool looking
    I bought it (along with a coin silver Hampden 1886 pocket watch) at a very good price
    I brought it to a local Cape Cod Clock repairer. She had to replace the movement and hands (I kept the original hands not the movement) and she installed a new crystal. I put it on a shelf in my cape cod house and it is really cool-even my wife likes it. It is running and keeping good time-looks awesome-very much a cape cod clock. My house on the cape is 1/2 mile from the ocean
    I don't have pictures at the moment-I have returned home. When I go back on cape I will post pictures
    I also own a Chelsea US Navy WWII clock-picture below. My father was WWII US Navy so I collect anything Navy from WWII. This Chelsea Navy clock sits right next to my desk as a constant reminder of my father
    I grew up in Everett, MA which is right next to Chelsea, MA where these clocks were produced.
    IMG_7884.JPG

vinn2, Jwit, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  5. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 31, 2016

Where's the T!de Clock? Pics!
    Mine has a Tuning fork Accutron movement, no winding.
    Great US Navy Ships clock! Love it.
    A Chelsea Barometer might be my next purchase

Edited Aug 31, 2016
  6. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Aug 31, 2016

They still make them.... I saw this maybe a year ago. I was all set and ready to buy one and then I saw the price.

p.s. Hello agee from the 413.

pitpro likes this.
  7. agee Aug 31, 2016

Will post pictures of my Tide Clock when I go back to the cape. It's sitting on a shelf there
    The Chelsea movement was no good-so the clock repair lady had to install a new generic movement
    She also had to change the hands because they were bent when the crystal was lost
    I was just happy she was able to get it back running and looking good
    I have always liked the line of vintage Chelsea Ship's Bells Clocks
    Hello pitpro from 781

8. vinn2 Sep 1, 2016

i have worked on several chelsea ships clocks. the person who told you to avoid chelsea must have refuring to the electronic clocks. vinn

9. vinn2 Sep 1, 2016

the older chelsea ship's clocks are very well made. they had a balance module you could buy for $ 50 U.S.. no longer available, probably the last supply bought up by the "watch hawks" vinn

pitpro likes this.
  10. agee Sep 12, 2016

Here is my Chelsea Ship Clock with High and Low Tide Indicators
    Found here on cape cod-quartz movement was no good, hands were bent and crystal was gone
    Brought it to a clock repairer and she installed a new quartz movement, crystal, and hands (I have the original hands)
    The original owner made the gold base for the clock
    I have it sitting on a shelf here on the cape-I think it's very cool and very "capey"
    I see a bunch of vintage Chelsea clocks here in MA, but this is the first one I have owned
    IMG_9120.JPG IMG_9119.JPG

pitpro likes this.
  11. pitpro Likes the game. Sep 12, 2016

Your says "Patent Pending", so that means made in the first two years
    of production for the Original Tide Clock(Chelsea made these first). Yours would have come
    with the same Bulova Accutron tuning fork movement as mine above.
    When the tuning fork movement failed, if you sent in to Chelsea
    at some point they started putting in Quartz movements for replacements.
    Is yours like 5 1/2in diameter?
    Keep your eye out for original hands.

12. agee Sep 12, 2016

Yes. Measures approx 5 1/2" diameter
    I do have the original hands
    Clock repairer didn't think I could find an original movement or crystal so I had her install what she had in stock
    She felt the movement was no good and not worth keeping

13. pitpro Likes the game. Sep 12, 2016

If it looks like the one in mine above
    It's a tuning fork mvmt and u would keep it at least to go with it if sold. Whoever buys it would want that