Forums Latest Members

SOLD Chelsea RAF Pattern SECTOR CLOCK.....

1. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2021

Hello

For your consideration.... Chelsea RAF pattern sector ... 8 1/2 inch dial clock .... 8 day mechanical wind up Chelsea clock.
    Nice condition, dial colors are vibrant and sharp! . keeps time and ready to be displayed.

chelsea sector clock.jpg
    From Wikipedia...

The Sector Clock was a fundamental part of Ground-controlled interception (GCI) before modern computerized systems were put in place for airspace control. The clock face is marked with five-minute red, yellow and blue triangular segments.[4] It has an outer 12-hour ring and an inner 24-hour dial.

Aircraft position was recorded along with the colour of the triangle beneath the minute hand at the time of sighting. This was reported to sector headquarters, where counters of the relayed colour were used to represent each air raid on a large table with a map of the UK overlaid with a British Modified Grid. As the plots of the raiding aircraft moved, the counters were pushed across the map by magnetic "rakes". This system enabled "Fighter Controllers" to see very quickly where each formation was heading and allowed an estimate to be made of possible targets. The age of the information was readily apparent from the colour of the counter. Because of the simplicity of the system, decisions could be made quickly and easily.
    -----

800$ plus shipping..

Good Hunting
    and Be Safe.

Bill Sohne

Edited Jun 14, 2021
    Tuna Cowboy, ahartfie, Syrte and 6 others like this.
  2. sxl2004 Jun 13, 2021

Bill how many clocks do you have ?;)

Syrte likes this.
  3. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2021

I have more watches then clocks .. hahahahahaha

Chelsea made some great stuff … just trying to share the wealth !

sxl2004 likes this.
  4. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 13, 2021

I love this bit of history! Thank you for taking the time to include this!

Bill Sohne likes this.
  5. Omegafanman Jun 14, 2021

Edited Jun 18, 2021
  6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 17, 2021

Sold thanks to OF !

more clocks are coming !!!!

7. Walrus Jun 17, 2021

Man some of the clocks you sell really make me think of some family members who have left this realm and journeyed to the other side. That barometer clock set up and some other items made me think of my grandfather. He was always hard to pick out gifts for but a barometer clock set up that would have been his thing. Old navy guy you give him a clock and a barometer he would tell you the weather for the next week. If he was wrong he would tap the barometer and say it must have got stuck. Perfect, great items brings back fond memories

Bill Sohne likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 17, 2021

Bill, more clocks are always coming lol

9. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 17, 2021

hi @Walrus

Thanks for the complements…. I spent many years collecting and I am now starting to share my collection w others …..
    stay tuned !
    Hahahaha

best
    Bill

sxl2004 and Walrus like this.
  10. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 17, 2021

Don’t you know it !
    Things with springs !!

best
    Bill

Tony C. likes this.