Forums Latest Members

Cheers to the man that made me.

1. OmegaRookie Feb 29, 2020

Inspired by the WRU Drinking today thread, 20 years ago today, my father passed away from ALS at 65 years old.
    He loved good whiskey and to have fun and as I sit here today thinking about him and sipping the best whiskey I own, I sure wish he was beside me to enjoy it.
    I always wonder what he’d think of our world today. I think he’d be both amazed and annoyed with the changes.
    To those of you who become impatient with your parents, be happy that they’re around to annoy you. You will miss them one day......

11A9803E-AEEB-42D6-B53A-995F9FF36B01.jpeg

GandOsDad, OHS, inchpincher and 26 others like this.
  2. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Feb 29, 2020

Well said. My father passed away from alzheimers a little over three years ago but he was ill for a lot of years. I miss him a lot. I especially think of him when I am baking bread (and when I am wearing his watches). He loved baking and particularly loved baking sour dough rye bread but also made a killer chickpea bread.

3. Canuck Feb 29, 2020

Glenfarclas! Yeah! We were on a two week motor coach tour of Scotland in 2008. We went through the Spey Valley, and had a two hour visit to the Glenfarclas distillery. We covered the complete process from processing the mash, the distillery, and the dunnage warehouses where to whiskey was aged in oak casks. Time for a visit to the visitor centre for a dram of 15 year old Glenfarclas single malt. Fascinating trip.

I have lost my parents and a younger sister to an assortment of ailments, none of which was Alzheimer’s. It is a painful time, the loss of a close relative. But especially to Alzheimer’s where the body continued to live after you no longer know the person, nor they you. My condolences.

OmegaRookie likes this.
  4. OmegaRookie Feb 29, 2020

Thank-you! It was actually ALS which is Lou Gehrig’s disease. It’s kind of the opposite of Alzheimer’s in that my dad’s mind was perfect and his body shut down around him.
    My wife and I and another couple that were very close with, did a whiskey tour of Scotland last May. We did not go to Glenfarclas but did 6 or 7 others. It was a wonderful trip and a gorgeous country. Going to Ireland this September.
    Thanks again for the thoughts.

5. M'Bob Feb 29, 2020

Lost my best friend to ALS when he was in his 40's. A completely cruel and unforgiving disease that no one should ever have to experience. Sorry you went through that.

OmegaRookie likes this.