Forums Latest Members

Checking out the Speedmaster Racing at a Omega botique

1. Keef Richards Jun 11, 2019

Before I went to the store, I spent time studying all the different Speedmasters. The Omega store provided great customer support and even checked and cleaned my watch when I was there.

All the Speedmasters are great watches. I was attracted to two specific watches the most. The Moon watch with sapphire crystal and the Racing watch in white. Both are great watches and I would be happy with either. I also looked at the 57.However I am more drawn to the Racing watch with its upgraded movement, AR coating and a little more modern look. Which one do you like best and why?

20190611_123336.jpg 20190611_122748_HDR.jpg 20190611_123738_HDR.jpg 20190611_123703_HDR.jpg
    fskywalker, gippo, steelfish and 4 others like this.
  2. Martin_J_N Jun 11, 2019

I have the Hesalite Moonwatch which is great but the Racing series has caught my eye, the white dial version is superb, maybe a purchase later in the year to go alongside my original Speedy.

Keef Richards likes this.
  3. JeremyS Jun 11, 2019

i actually like the ‘57 in your pics. It’s the larger sub-dials that drew me to it the most. If a chronograph is only going to have two sub-dials, they might as well be large and easy to read. The ‘57 is so clear and clean.

Keef Richards and Martin_J_N like this.
  4. Martin_J_N Jun 11, 2019

Agreed the 57 is clear and clean but I prefer the Racing look as it just appeals to me more, it has more of what I like in a watch.

5. Keef Richards Jun 11, 2019

I was surprised on the 57 that there are no numbers on the small left dial like the other watches.

6. cfracing Jun 11, 2019

I guess I am more traditional because I like the Moonwatch the best. I like the Racing the least mainly because of the rings around the subdials like on the current Daytona that I really don't care for.

Martin_J_N likes this.
  7. rainking Jun 11, 2019

Moonwatch with hesalite looks much better than with sapphire to my eyes.
    The Racing is cool but a bit too large.
    The 57 ... I have the broad arrow version and damn is it cool. But that one you posted is nice as well.
    Of the three exact watches you posted, though, if it was me, I'd just go with the good ol' Speedy Pro.

Martin_J_N likes this.
  8. speedyproftw Jun 12, 2019

I love that racing watch, especially the color and texture of the dial. It's definitely on my radar, although I'm not sure I need any more Speedies! (I know... when has "need" ever mattered when it comes to buying another watch)

9. bama2141 Jun 12, 2019

I’ve looked at the Racing models as well - more partial to the black dial version with the orange hands. They wear surprisingly well for a big watch, but still borderline for my wrist.

One thing that turns me off though is the dual minute/hour counter for the chrono. Bisecting that small subdial into 60 minutes instead of the more normal 30 just makes it too hard for me to read it accurately. Also the minute counter moves continuously rather than snapping to the next marker. Maybe if the subdials were slightly bigger it would work better for me.

Keef Richards likes this.
  10. dwboston Jun 12, 2019

I have the white Racing version from the 3rd and 4th pics above. It looks great and wears nicely for a large watch. The dial is really cool - not exactly white with just a bit of texture to it, and the orange from the Speedmaster script and the chrono hand tip give a nice hint of color. It's really a great looking watch in person.

Vix likes this.
  11. axl911 Jun 12, 2019

‘57 - too sparse and clinical
    Racing - too busy, and would be my 2nd choice
    Speedy Pro. - classic and just right.

There are just from the pics. But I suspect the Racing has more pop in real life and the Speedy Pro is much more subdued. If that’s the case, then get the racing.

12. Burrogs Jun 12, 2019

I have the same dilemma. The racing is objectively the better watch, but I still find myself coming back to the Moonwatch. I think the all black racing on a strap would wear smaller than it's dimensions suggest and may be the best of both worlds if it fits the wrist.

13. MalaMD Jun 12, 2019

I prefer the more modern features of the Racing but the Pro is just so classic looking. Your 3rd pic makes it very hard to choose between the two as they make a great pair!

14. Vix Jun 12, 2019

Easy answer for me, the white Racing. I totally fell in love with it. It's everything I wanted in a modern interpretation of an icon, and then some.

All the bells and whistles with regards to the movement (column wheel, vertical clutch, co-axial, METAS, 60h power reserve, nice decoration) , exquisite attention to detail on the dial (applied tapered indices in white gold, eggshell textured dial, ceramic bezel with five layers of white enamel in the tachymeter numerals). Wears thinner and surprisingly smaller than expected, especially on the croc strap (18cm wrist).

Form is not superseded by function though, with a super legible panda dial where two large subdials allow for a true usage of the chrono function. Deployant clasp is excellent and bracelet clasp is micro-adjustable. Bracelet comes with half links. The chrono is an absolute joy to operate.

You might have guessed, I'm a huge fan.

tapatalk_1560373813261.jpeg tapatalk_1560373788098.jpeg tapatalk_1560374428610.jpeg tapatalk_1560374473900.jpeg
  15. Texasjohn Jun 12, 2019

Whites gets my vote

D2A53DC4-DA84-4EF8-ABE1-0E604C5EC521.jpeg 673110D1-894E-4047-B803-65CD029A0A09.jpeg

CJpickup57, Vix, CTS-V and 2 others like this.
  16. Keef Richards Jun 13, 2019

I found this review on their original Speedmaster which brought out some interesting aspects.

Please note it doesn't take away fact that the Speedmaster with a hesalite crystal is a beautiful watch, a great watch in many aspects. One watch that I'm still considering over there racing model. But it does bring the question why is a watch that doesn't have all the high-end features so expensive? I don't mind as much spending a lot of money for the racing version which has the better movement , ceramic bezel, anti-reflective, Etc. It just seems that this moonwatch should cost a lot less.

17. bama2141 Jun 13, 2019

It’s basically a case of it costs what it costs since that’s what the market will pay. Ever since Moonwatch Mania kicked in a few years ago the price has escalated repeatedly. Look at the Limited Editions — is a different dial design really worth thousands of $ extra? Of course not, but the market will pay it gratefully, and fight to snap up the supply, fearing missing out. Omega happily accepts the added profit margin.

Not to say that it’s not a great watch — I have several and love them dearly - but the price follows the demand - capitalism at its finest.

davidher likes this.
  18. Bizcut1 Jun 17, 2019

What about the three-dial Speedmaster Racing series?

19. steelfish Jun 18, 2019

White racing for me. Close second is the 57 and way behind is the moonwatch.

Reason is that I find it much easier to read the dial with just two sub dials, and you can do the second time zone trick on the more modern speedy. Secondly I also get a kick out the more modern movement and automatic is just a bonus. And finally I love the new style bracelet end pieces that go down instead of out, taking a couple of mm off the end piece to end piece width out the watch: bigger watch wears smaller.

Reason for the racing over the 57: looks like a more contrast dial and therefore easier to read at a glance.

All very personal preference though. Just my thoughts. You can’t really go wrong with either

Bizcut1 and Keef Richards like this.
  20. SpeedyD Jun 18, 2019

This was my first omega watch.

47FE79DA-B4EE-4636-82B9-4492DEBAD55E.jpeg