Forums Latest Members
  1. paschuman Jul 1, 2016

I have been looking for a Jumbo for a while and am about to pull the trigger on this omega 268.

Dial - Seller says it is original, shows some patina, but overall looks pretty good to me.
    Hands - Original but has been re lumed
    Case - 37.7 mm w/o crown. I can't tell if it has been polished, but doesn't look over polished.
    Movement - Recently serviced and keeping within 2 seconds per day

Any major concerns before I purchase this watch? The price is about $900 and I'm hoping to knock about $100 or so off.

Thanks,
    Pat

Omega 21.jpg Omega 22.jpg Omega 23.jpg Omega 24.jpg Omega 25.jpg Omega 26.jpg Omega 27.jpg Omega 28.jpg
  2. WatchmakerTheory Jul 1, 2016

Looks very nice! Everything you said sounds correct. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the case looks un-polished or only slightly polished.

Price seems a bit high, even at $800.

Check out similar watches that have sold on Ebay here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'd say that you should be looking to pay ~$500-600 or so.

cicindela likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 1, 2016

Price kind high for USA, even at 800.

4. paschuman Jul 1, 2016

Man glad I posted. Didn't think it was that bad of deal given that I can find similar watches for $400-$500, but they would a require service that would be between $200-$300 minimum. I was thinking the extra $100 basically offset the risk of having a more expensive service.

I have been keeping a eye out in the private watch sales forum for a while, but haven't seen anything catch my eye lately. In general though, I am just looking for something in pretty good shape (not necessarily perfect) to be worn daily. I guess I am willing to pay slightly above market since I plan to have this for a while. If someone is on the fence about selling, I might be your guy!

Appreciate all the feedback and if I decide to go for this watch, I am going to try and push the sale price lower!

Thanks,
    Pat

5. timjohn Jul 1, 2016

And it's got lume on the hands but not on the dial -- one of them isn't original....

6. marturx Jul 2, 2016

I wouldn't expect to find a cal 268 in a Jumbo. Should be 265

I would expect to find the hands combined with 268 though.

So likely a Franken

Bumper likes this.
  7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 2, 2016

Top left hand picture, looking at the markers on the dial. It could be the photo but the two pieces of the 12 are reflecting light differently, as if not mounted in the same plane. The markers at one and four look beat up, I'll bet that dial has been worked on.

Having said that, my own similar 283 caliber has the same type of damage and I love the watch. I've found its better to pay a bit more for a watch you can handle and check out before you buy than to purchase something without actually seeing it. You can't feel the winding and setting features of an ebay piece until it arrives and then if its not right life becomes a bit of a bitch. If it winds smoothly, sets well, feels right and you've fallen in love, the price may be right. If you think you may one day want to sell it you might as well move on because its not an investment piece at the "right" price.

8. paschuman Jul 5, 2016

Thanks for all the advice. I think I made the right decision and passed on the watch. Of course, today I came across another watch. A 332 cal, but i'm worried about the hands. I have been googling and have found examples similar to these, but also have seen ones that start out narrow and get wider. Either way the hands seem to have more wear. Besides the hands, the case has been polished (doesn't look to polished) but the price is more in line - probably could get for around $600. Anyone see anything I am missing.

Omega 31.jpg Omega 32.jpg Omega 33.jpg Omega 36.jpg Omega 37.jpg Omega 34.jpg Omega 35.jpg Omega 38.jpg
    Edited Jul 5, 2016
  9. Canuck Jul 5, 2016

image.jpeg This is what an all original manual wind jumbo looks like. This one is in a rose gold case with matching rose gold dial and hands. I'm not near the watch right now, and I don't remember the caliber.

Edited Jul 6, 2016
  10. paschuman Jul 6, 2016

Did you mean to post a picture?

11. Canuck Jul 6, 2016

Yes! I had intended to include a photo. Now done. (Too early in the morning!) I have now posted a picture with my previous post.