Forums Latest Members

Cheapest (but good) automatic watch

1. omega-me Aug 24, 2016

Hi all,
    I would like to know which is the cheapest automatic watch you would buy.
    It may be a 200$ watch or a 2000$ one, but how much is the minimum price you would pay for an automatic watch? If you know a specific model, please write it :)

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2016

Seiko 5.

Automatic, 21 Jewels.

Available for $60 and up on Amazon.com.

Check it out.
    gatorcpa

yinzerniner, Fritz, Alpha and 6 others like this.
  3. omega-me Aug 24, 2016

Wow, it's SO economic and also good looking. Just a question: why this automatic costs only 60$ and others costs 2000? What's the main difference? Will this watch last for decades like more expensive automatic watches?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2016

Look at the finish on the movement. The Japanese are more about function over form, while high-end Swiss watches are more about fit and finish. Also consider that Seiko is certainly assembling that watch in a lower labor cost country like Malaysia or China.

At $60 it doesn't pay to service once the warranty is over. When it stops keeping good time, you just go out and buy another. So from that standpoint, it won't last as long.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

omega-me likes this.
  5. rcs914 Aug 24, 2016

It probably has a better potential for lasting decades without service than most more expensive watches. No one services them because a service costs more than a new movement/watch. Yet there are tons of them out there that have gone 20-30 years without a service.

Bill Sohne and Foo2rama like this.
  6. omega-me Aug 24, 2016

Sure. Thank you very much.

7. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Aug 24, 2016

Seiko SRP77X series...my SRP777 is pictured below:

-Automatic with hand wind capability
    -4R36 movement with 24 jewels
    -45 mm case diameter
    -200 m water resistance
    -Hardlex mineral crystal
    -'Tew kewel fer skewel' retro look referencing Seiko's famous 6309 diver produced from 1976 through 1988.

MSRP is $475 US...I've seen them from various online vendors ranging from $325 to $360 US. I paid $380 US from a local brick & mortar Seiko AD.

image.jpeg

Tritium, ahartfie, voere and 3 others like this.
  8. omega-me Aug 24, 2016

Beautiful. What I've understand in these answers is that Seiko seems to be the best-balanced brand for automatic watches, isn't it?

9. Jonatan Aug 24, 2016

Coincidently there is an excellent vintage Seikomatic in the sale forums. :whistling: That is if you want something vintage.

10. rcs914 Aug 24, 2016

Didn't look at the poster's name, saw the DD cup, knew it was Mad Dog ;-)

ahartfie, Foo2rama and Mad Dog like this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 24, 2016

Since someone beat me to Seiko and @Mad Dog beat me to the Seiko diver. Orient also makes exceptional automatic watches in the 200 to 400 dollar price range.

Between an SKX diver for casual daily wear and an Orient Bambino (with its huge number of variations on hands and dial) for dress you can have great looking automatics for every occasion for under $450 total that even watch guys would be impressed.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

flw, ahartfie, Jwit and 4 others like this.
  12. omega-me Aug 24, 2016

The first one is awesome :-O

13. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 24, 2016

omega-me likes this.
  14. trama Aug 24, 2016

Lots of love for Seiko, but personally I'd go with something more repairable. Some kind of stainless jobby housing the venerable ETA 2824 movement, usually found with a date. (2824-2). I've had good luck with an Ollech and Wajs M1, it's was under $300 new with a bracelet. The bracelet was cheap, but worked. I swapped that out, (and upgraded the springbars) for a variety of natos. Had it serviced after a few years, was no big deal, runs like new with fresh seals. This route is preferable to me over chucking it and getting another.

15. omega-me Aug 24, 2016

I found the Orient Bambino for 99€ on Amazon (non automatic) or 250€ for the automatic version. The non-automatic version is a quartz watch?

I'll take a look :)

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 24, 2016

It's a Bambino V2 with grey dial. They are up to V4 now but all varieties are still available. Some variants have better crowns and more classic hand choices. The V4 is hand windable and hacking now. With an easy to find discount code they are about 200 direct from Orient.

Thanks I like the grey dial a lot it looks better in person too. On a side note they are slightly larger then you think but not huge and use 21mm straps which makes you have to search a bit for straps.

omega-me likes this.
  17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2016

The Seiko is certainly repairable. But it doesn't pay to repair when the watch can be replaced for $60. Frankly, even at $300, I'm not sure if it's worth an investment of $150 to $200 every few years for service.

This is the issue with lower grade mechanical watches. Believe me, our great-grandparents were having the same conversations about "dollar watches", pocket watches that were sold for around $1 and were usually not jeweled. Some of these kept excellent time...until they didn't.

gatorcpa

GuiltyBoomerang and Foo2rama like this.
  18. omega-me Aug 24, 2016

Thank you very much. I never heard this Orient watches before. We were writing at the same time, could you please answer my second question (about the 99€ Orient)? Thanks again!

19. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Aug 24, 2016

For what it's worth...the Seikos are repairable. Is it worth it? Depends on the owner...for me it was worth it to have my almost 30 year old Seiko 6309-7049 repaired (overhauled) since I had purchased it new in 1987 while in Navy pilot training...it was my first "flying watch"...so it has quite a bit of sentimental value. New it cost $140...the fairly recent overhaul cost about $250. Am I a dumbass for not having it serviced in 28 years of ownership? YES! Was it worth it? YES! :thumbsup:

The 6309-7049 that belongs to a dumbass...
    image.jpeg

20. trama Aug 24, 2016

@gatorcpa,
    Good points. I prefer the repair over the rubbish bin. It's just satisfying to me. One weak-assed argument can be made to repair and calibrate a common strong movement over a disposable plastic jobby is that it is a way to know where you stand with the friggin thing, knee deep in Amazonian red clay trying to retrieve a stuck rubber boot, on an all day march to meet a twice weekly ferry back to civilization (ok, this is really a weak argument!). If it has been losing several minutes a day or stopping without a proper wind, or if the thing has been working fine but may die at any moment, I'd just rather have that trusty watch. Besides, there are no rubbish bins in the bush, and I don't want to litter ;)

But really, mechanical over quartz is already a silly personal choice! Glad to not be alone in it.