Forums Latest Members

Cheap Seamaster 2534.50 Gmt On Ebay

1. pascs Apr 8, 2013

This seems to be remarkably low in price for the Seamaster GMT - at least $500-1000 cheaper than others on ebay just now. It does have a few small scratches and no paperwork but doesnt look bad at all, I'm not sure why this model has become less popular

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seama...913062593?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2ec75a0ac1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 8, 2013

That's actually a very good deal, I'm guessing the seller took it as part of a trade or something and just wants to get out what he's owed on it quickly, it'll sell easily for that money.

3. kendrick Apr 8, 2013

While it is definitely a great buy it now price, the 50 anniversary seamaster model has been selling in that price range recently. In most straight auctions it seems to go at 1500-1600.

4. pascs Apr 8, 2013

By contrast the great white is holding its value well

I guess the 50th anniversary bracelet is no so popular as the 2254.50 style bracelet.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 8, 2013

The great irony is, while unique and attractive, the great white is one of the most annoying watches to read due to the lack of contrast while the black ones are among the best lol

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  6. pascs Apr 8, 2013

Great White is on my wish list. Ofrei had the white dial on sale at $150.

Now if I hadnt already spent all my watch money for this month................. :whistling:

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 8, 2013

If you are thinking of just swapping the dial and hands, it's not that easy to do the change properly. Converting the black model to the white gets very complicated and pricey very quickly!

Cheers, Al

8. pascs Apr 8, 2013

Thanks Al. Is that due to the setup of the hands or with the added complication of changing the date wheel?

I'm not thinking about doing this but really just out of interest :)

9. ulackfocus Apr 8, 2013

Would everyone kick me if I told you I was offered a this model in mint condition for $1200 a few years back and I passed? :confused: It was in a local shop in Philly that was close to our apartment. I went back the next morning to buy it, but the guy who was in the shop with me the day before bought it as soon as I left. :(

10. pascs Apr 8, 2013

Sometimes you just have to buy these things when you see them if the offer is good.................assuming of course that you have any money to spend :D

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 8, 2013

Actually, it's because the dials on the 2 watches are different thicknesses. Don't ask me why, but the dial on the "Great White" is quite a lot thicker than the dial on the black versions. So what does this mean, well for starters all the posts where the hands mount must be taller in order to clear the dial properly. I keep saying "properly" because I'm sure someone has done this without doing all the modifications, but the watch is prone to a few problems.

So the list of parts needed for this goes from this small list:

New dial
    New date indicator
    New hands
    New bezel (if you want the proper look)

And now includes:

New second wheel
    New cannon pinion
    New hour wheel
    New 24 hour wheel

And of course the movement must be disassembled in order to change these parts.

Then there is a the problem of stem height. Since the dial is thicker, and the movement locates off the front face of the dial, the whole movement is now shifted higher in the case, and the stem no longer lines up in the center of the hole in the case tube - here is what this would look like:

[​IMG]

Of course the crown will center on the case tube, so the stem will be bent at an angle. So you might think this is not a big deal, but as you wind or set the watch, the stem will be flexing, and just like taking a piece of wire and bending it back and forth, it will work harden and fracture. So if you really want to do this right, you would also have to replace the entire case.

Not cheap to do if done right! Better off to buy a Great White and pay the premium. Just be careful that the hour hand does not move when you unscrew the crown - known issue with the Cal. 1128 (all models) and again expensive to fix!

Cheers, Al

12. pascs Apr 8, 2013

Al, very informative as always. One would never have thought it could be so complex

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 8, 2013

Things like this can be a lot more complicated than people think they are. Sometimes it's easy, but in my experience that is usually not the case. One reason I am not particularly fond of doing "mods" and when I do I make it clear that the client has to do the research to see if whatever they want done will work. In most cases I have no way of knowing if a part that was designed for one watch will fit another watch. Most watch manufacturers (Omega included) don't make lists showing what parts will fit watches that those parts were not designed to be installed on.

This one it's easy enough to pull up each model and see that there is a difference in the movements - yes they are both Cal. 1128, but the 25345000 is an "H1" movement and the other is an "H2" so I know the parts are not the same.

Cheers, Al

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 8, 2013

In Jakarta you can get this model for USD 1200-1400, while great white in north of USD 1800. I think the name Great White has something to do with it. The movement for both watch are perceived as less reliable than the non GMT brothers.

15. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Apr 8, 2013

That 50th Anniversary unfortunately has the less desired bond bracelet links. If it was the 2534.50 with the Speedy Bracelet and cards it would be selling for the upper range closer to 1800-1900. That model that way it stands is priced okay but not really a good deal IMO.

16. Mothra Apr 8, 2013

Someone bought it. I would have found a way if id spotted this earlier....

17. pascs Apr 10, 2013

18. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 10, 2013

Seriously... You guys need to stop posting threads like this! Your going to make me broke lol

i have 13 watches in my watch list since the purchase of the AT!

19. ulackfocus Apr 10, 2013

I think the new subtitle for the forum in version 2.1 is going to be this:

Abandonallhope.jpg

pfffft, amateur. :D

20. pascs Apr 10, 2013

:D