Forums Latest Members

Cheap DSLR and Lens Combo for Watch/Macro Photography

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Oct 3, 2016

I have gone back and forth on cameras vs. camera phone.

While I love my Samsung S7 and the camera is great...it is just missing something, and I think that a DSLR will allow to capture better pics.

I want to get the best bang for the buck, and was wondering what fellow members would recommend for camera body and lenses.

Drawarms likes this.
  2. micampe Oct 3, 2016

Panasonic or Olympus micro 4/3. Excellent quality, wide range of lenses and accessories available, and the smaller sensor works better for macro. You need a small tripod too.

Edited Oct 3, 2016
  3. wristpirate Oct 4, 2016

+1 on the tripod

I've got a Panasonic 4/3 and always feel like I'd get better shots with a full on DSLR. Most likely it is my photography skills that are lacking and not the camera.

4. LaurentBxl Oct 4, 2016

I use an old Nikon D90 and a macro lens from Sigma (60mm 1/1 2.8).
    Both are easy and cheap to source used... I don't upgrade the Nikon because I do not fancy the heavy image sizes from a 20M pixels, 12 is plenty enough for me.

watchknut and Andreas like this.
  5. Kobus Oct 4, 2016

Any low end Canon or Nikon will do.
    Macro lens might cost a bit.

6. Andreas Oct 4, 2016

I use the D90 for the past 7 years myself and i am pretty happy with it. i don't see any reason to upgrade.

ahartfie likes this.
  7. Interstatetime Oct 4, 2016

The camera is an important consideration...no question. However any DSLR with a decent lens will take a more than acceptable picture...when the subject is lit correctly. If you work on your lighting and work on seeing the way a watch is lit...the camera will become secondary.

JohnCote

bazamu likes this.
  8. akshayluc420 Oct 4, 2016

If you can keep your subject lit well and steady enough, any low-end Canon on a low ISO would do the job. I normally invest in the glass; the Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 USM is great. If you want something really versatile. Check out the EF-S 60mm F/2.8. Either way, get some extension tubes. Enjoy!

watchknut and kurtj29 like this.
  9. kurtj29 Oct 4, 2016

Pretty much this. Glass is most important, and if you are going to do macro the EF 100 f/2.8 is the gold standard. Otherwise use your iPhone*.

*Cheap and DSLR don't really go together....

mokofoko likes this.
  10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Oct 4, 2016

This is all great...I really appreciate it. I had a D90 years ago and loved it, will be on the lookout for a body.

There is a great used camera store in Raleigh, and will see what lens they have, thanks for the tiPad.

Got the tripod, but will need some lighting.

11. yinzerniner Oct 4, 2016

I always recommend the Sony E mount line for price vs performance. One of the great benefits is that pretty much any lens can be adapted due to the short flange focal distance.
    Older manual focus glass is stunningly cheap for image quality.
    Also, the sensor size gives a little more lighting flexibility than the smaller sensors of m4/3
    If you're just looking for macro photography you can get a Canon FD macro lens with adapter for $75, and an E mount Sony with pancake zoom for $400.

12. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Oct 4, 2016

This x100

Lighting and understanding of the camera's manual settings makes the actual DSLR fairly interchangeable - especially when it comes to watch photography (i.e. static subjects / environments).

I use a 35mm f/2 Canon lens as my all-purpose one. Don't need anything else.

Drawarms likes this.
  13. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Oct 4, 2016

Should also mention that my lens (the 35mm) cost 2x what the actual DSLR did. The lens is far more important a consideration than the body.

Drawarms likes this.
  14. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Oct 4, 2016

My hope is to score a nice older lens. My old 50mm Pentax lens was killer, and super cheap.

Thanks for the tips, your photos are awesome and true to the watches.

bazamu and Drawarms like this.
  15. Drawarms Oct 4, 2016

great thread, had the same questions! (because everyone knows I cannot take a photo for the life of me!)

Keep up the advice people. Any advice on lighting setups?

16. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Oct 4, 2016

A nice bay window and a neutral background. Let the sun save you a few shekels.

Also - try not to take pictures during the harshest hours of sunlight. Save it for the morning or dusk, when the light is softer. Again, this all comes down to understanding lighting and its effect on pictures. There are plenty of resources on the web for more informed reading on that subject than anything I could provide.

watchknut likes this.
  17. proximal Oct 4, 2016

http://www.instructables.com/id/Photography-Light-Box/

Olympus just released a $299 macro lens that seems to be fairly decent. Pairing it with an E-PL7 ($350) would give you a nice macro-focused setup.

18. akshayluc420 Oct 4, 2016

19. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 5, 2016

I'll assume you're talking about the 100L 2.8. I used to have both versions, and the L is leaps and bounds superior, especially once handholding comes into the equation.

I'm generally in agreement with most--for a cheap setup, tubes are the way to go. You'll also need a tripod. Even with good lighting, a good tripod and ballhead (or gimbal or whatever) is a must for macro photography.

20. barmy Oct 5, 2016

Go to a local camera store that carries used equipment. Find a used Nikon or Canon DSLR and a matching macro lense (no a zoom lense). You should come out paying less than half of new price.

watchknut likes this.