Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 5, 2013

Hi all,
    I'm looking at a few cheap Chrpnographe Suisse chronos, with Landeron 47, 48 and Venus 170 movements. Any views/problems/concerns about these movements.
    Thanks
    Daniel

2. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2013

Not with the movements. Don't buy a vintage Chronographe Suisse - they're horrible cases. It was a generic name (Swiss Chronograph) that many watches had on the face.

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 5, 2013

The CS gold cases are made from what I would describe as gold sheet, held rigid by two "metal" rings and the case back is very thin, hence the inner cover that is also made of "metal". The thin case back is prone to distortion and it can be a bugger to get it sitting properly when re-assembled.
    The Landeron 48 in mine is a good, workman like movement but some of the parts are now obsolete such as the complete balance (you can still get the staff though) and the minute recorder jumper. This jumper is a very fragile part. Having said that, they are easy to work on and adjust.

CS Case.jpg

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 5, 2013

Are CSs steel cases just as bad?

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 5, 2013

I haven't seen one close up but I guess they would be more solid, just because the material is harder.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 6, 2013

Since the whole thing snaps together, if the case is really distorted I would not touch it. As noted the movements are easy to work on, but certainly nothing special...

Cheers, Al

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 6, 2013

I have one of these that I bought before I knew better. All of the above comments above are 100% correct. Mine was a mess, it took 3 cross country trips to get all the problems solved. Good thing I got the watch for cheap, as the service wasn't.

Before:

[​IMG]

After Craig Bergsma at Chronodeco worked his magic:

[​IMG]

Craig ended up soldering the rings to the gold case, that was the only way to keep it all together. The movement keeps excellent time. Then again, red gold is back in style.

I also have a chrome plated steel Clebar with a Landeron cal. 248 movement. Also a great timekeeper with a so-so case. But my watchmaker at the time said the dial was one of the best he'd ever seen on a vintage watch:

[​IMG]

They make nice beaters provided you don't spend too much up front.
    gatorcpa

MKelley likes this.
  8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 6, 2013

Exactly what I'm after (see my WTB thread). But when some people are asking $800+ upfront, it doesn't seem worth it (hence, kicking myself over missing the Baume & Mercier).

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 7, 2013

The Baume & Mercier probably had a similar Landeron movement, but the case was certainly of better quality.
    gatorcpa

10. Bertie Bassett Jan 30, 2016

Hi, I have the B&M with 148

[​IMG]