Forums Latest Members

Chasing a rare bird. Thoughts?

1. calalum Jul 23, 2015

All-I am considering the purchase of a vintage piece (one of my grails). It is a really nice example, and these are extremely hard to come by (maybe a handful hit the market each year). I have a general sense of the market value (which like a lot of other good vintage watches has been increasing) but the seller knows that he has a prime example, he is a reluctant seller (I pursued him; he did not have the watch listed for sale), and he knows that it would be very difficult to replace the watch with a similar example. Accordingly, he is asking for a premium price (maybe a 50% premium to known recent sales). I am a working guy, comfortable but not rich. The purchase is not going to change my life style or budget, but it is definitely material. I can try to sell a few watches to make the purchase more palatable. But I am not likely to come across another example like this one.

With the foregoing in mind, what is your take on paying a super premium price for a grail piece? Thanks for any thoughts and insights.

Nick

2. cristos71 Jul 23, 2015

Hard to say without knowing what kind of "grail" it is.

For some a limited edition G-Shock is a "grail". For others a CK2915. For one I would perhaps pay a premium, for the other perhaps not.

If you have persued him he is well within his rights to ask what he pleases, but if as you say a few are coming up each year then maybe patience on your part will be the best call.

It is much easier to negotiate with somebody who wants to sell than it is with somebody who doesn't.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 23, 2015

Hey Nick,

My view is that you only live once. What's most important is what you're willing to pay. If you can realistically find another that checks all the boxes by waiting, then by all means, wait. If you think that's very unlikely, they don't wait.

If you can afford it without risking anything important (family, mortgage, etc), then buy it. If you decide later that you need to even it out, then sell something.

You will kick yourself forever if you can't find another,and remember the three Cs of watch collecting.

With all that said, I'd vote to go after it.

George.A and blufinz52 like this.
  4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 23, 2015

I presume the prices of this watch have been rising. How long do you think it will be before this premium is no longer super?

5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 23, 2015

I paid $4400 for a Watchco Seamaster 300 because it allegedly has a NOS Caliber 552 movement and it was one of the last ones available. I thought this was reasonable because it is, essentially, a new watch, rare even in the "made from service parts" version and I plan to keep it the rest of my life.

Some here will think me crazy, I know... but how I spend my own money is my own business, no?

Tom

6. calalum Jul 23, 2015

Closer to a CK2915 than to a G-shock.

Based on a few years of looking, probably not likely to find a similar piece any time soon.

And I am already considering offloading a few things to help fund the purchase. Other bills will not go unpaid.

Thanks.

persco likes this.
  7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 23, 2015

To me it would depend on what time frame is "any time soon." I am not really that patient but have no problem waiting weeks or months. While most of my experience is modern Omega watches, it is very easy for me to wait 6, 8, 10 weeks for the next "deal" to come up. Because we all know there will be a next deal soon.

Vintage is so very different and frankly if it was a really good example, and for a watch I believe I would not ever sell, I certainly would consider paying a premium. Not sure what I wrote was of much help, but it makes it easier to state the following:

I you want to off load you super compressor, let me know :).

or your FF ::love::

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 23, 2015

I have found that another one will come along... except when it doesn't!

The biggest watch purchase regrets I have are the ones not made. [emoji23]

JohnSteed, ELV web, LouS and 7 others like this.
  9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 23, 2015

If you are a patient sort, and have sought this particular watch for some time, then I would say yes, definitely go for it!

I have paid premiums for a few exceptional watches, and have never regretted it, in part because they tend to retain their value well.

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 23, 2015

^ this!

JohnSteed and Spacefruit like this.
  11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 23, 2015

For how you describe it - and being familiar with what you would consider a grail - I would say a 50% premium is a small price to pay finances permitting. It's an easy call for me to buy it.

And as I like to say - always, always better to overpay for a fine example than to underpay for an average one.

And also prepurchase dibs on the piece ;)

NT931, Darlinboy and Taddyangle like this.
  12. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 23, 2015

We accept blanket dibs like "prepurchase dibs?" Well, that's a game changer!
    For a grail, in exceptional condition, a 50% premium is minor compared to the opportunity. You'll earn the money back. The object of your desire may show again tomorrow, but I think most will agree it will more likely never show up again. Or worse, it will show up years from now when you can no longer see the hands on the dial...

13. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 23, 2015

If it's not beyond your means, and you've been looking for so long, then go for it .I think you will regret it if you don't.

14. Geo! Jul 23, 2015

I'm with the others........buy it. I've done similar on many occasions though out my life and never regretted it. You only live once!

15. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 23, 2015

a 50% premium seems steep...but we need more info. Why not tell us what the model and price are, this is the only way we can give real advice. Otherwise its not relevant.

This is my experience...you find that rare piece you have been looking for for years and its in flawless condition. The seller wants a huge premium and won't negotiate. You turn it down and it takes 5 years before you see another one.

or

you find that rare piece you have been looking for for years and its in flawless condition. The seller wants a huge premium and won't negotiate. You jump on it and are very happy. A week later two more show up at a lower price.

Edited Jul 23, 2015
    JohnSteed, Pvt-Public and TNTwatch like this.
  16. TNTwatch Jul 23, 2015

Yes, especially when his idea of "extremely hard to come by" is a handful each year. Hope it's not relumed.

I've been looking for a well known Constellation for the last 3 years, it's only shown up once and nobody calls it rare yet.

17. tsbphd Jul 23, 2015

I sell rare coins for a living and I often tell folks that the opportunity to acquire the right coin is many times much more scarce than the funds used to acquire the piece.

toddle321, Darlinboy, gemini4 and 2 others like this.
  18. marturx Jul 23, 2015

It bothers me that you have to ask for opinions here beforehand making a decision whether or not to pay a pretty high premium for your grail watch.

I have a feeling that your gut tells you that the seller is asking to much. Don't forget that the hunt is most of the fun. IMO how you get a certain piece can be equally important as the piece itself.

Buying watches without financial restraints is like fishing with dynamite, you get fish certainly, but where's the fun?

I say wait for the next one to show up

19. E-diddy Jul 23, 2015

My understanding: it's a grail, you've been looking for a few years, it's a really nice example, it seldom comes up for sale. I would highly consider it even given the premium. Sell some of your "lesser favorite" pieces and make space! Quality over quantity! Please share pics if you pull the trigger.

bazamu likes this.
  20. calalum Jul 23, 2015

Guys-Thanks for all of the insights. I have some butterflies about the whole thing but if the seller is game I am going to proceed. If I get it I will be sure to post a pic.

Nick