Forums Latest Members

Charity Rally - Good Cause Plug

1. ashleysteadman Dec 23, 2014

Hi All,

Instead of hijacking @Kringkily's Christmas thread which started looking likely, I thought I'd start up a separate thread for those who have asked questions and shown interest in the Shitbox Rally that a friend and I are undertaking next year for the Cancer Council. It's been really great to hear from people on this great forum.

Many of us have been affected by cancer in one way or another. Whether it be parents, family, close friends, people we know or ourselves that have battled or are battling cancer, this all too common and the horrid disease has touched us all.

Here in Australia, the term "Shitbox" is a non-offensive, almost affectionate term used to describe something that is low quality or non-working... As such, the Shitbox Rally is not a race, rather a challenge to drive cars worth less than $1,000 across Australia via some of its most arduous roads, all in the name of charity.

We will be getting our hands dirty spending about a week away from civilization to achieve this so it should be quite the adventure. You can read more at the website and you can donate to our team should you wish via our direct link here.

I'd like to thank the forum members who have already donated or simply shown vocal support - we have to put in quite a lot of our own money to be a part of this and it's extremely humbling to see an outpouring of support from relative strangers across the globe for our cause.

Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to all!

Ash

P.S. Once we are closer to the rally I'll be sure to keep you all posted with photos of our car, trip, and of course my Omegas in various remote locations!

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 23, 2014

Good cause Ash.

Try not to have too much fun ;)

Cheers

Jim

ashleysteadman likes this.
  3. ashleysteadman Dec 26, 2014

Thanks Jim for your super-generous donation!

4. George.A Dec 26, 2014

I've just watched the 2014 video and I'm impressed! Besides the fact that you're tackling an important cause, I really like the positive spirit you guys put up.
    Keep up the good job!
    George

ashleysteadman likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 26, 2014

What kind of care are you looking at? With all the hail damaged cars from Brisbane and Sydney of late should be some great choices around

6. ashleysteadman Dec 26, 2014

Thanks guys!

@dsio not sure about car yet - it has to be under $1000 AUD as the spirit of the challenge is to get something old... And a bit rubbish ;) We would like to get an old Mercedes (1970's) perhaps as they are pretty bomb-proof! The faithful Commodore is of course a natural choice.

Let me know if you have any suggestions! We won't be buying one until closer to the rally to make sure we don't have to worry about registration expiring etc! My co-driver's father used to be involved with supplying cars to the film and TV industry so still has a few connections we can hopefully lean on :)

Once we get closer I will definitely keep everyone informed and provide photos! :thumbsup:

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 26, 2014

Its scary how good a Merc you can get in that range, almost feels bad doing it to them though lol

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mercedes-Benz-280SE-1982/SSE-AD-3058432/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

8. ashleysteadman Dec 30, 2014

That car would be perfect - exactly what we're thinking.

I'd feel bad considering what the guy wants of the car though - he seems keen for it to go to a good home, not be dragged across the country! ;)

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 30, 2014

I had a friend who was spared the humiliation of having to drive the ultimate shitbox through France, thanks to the recession.

One absinthe fueled evening at Le Mans 2008, he lost a bet and his forfeit was going to be to drive the Chavelier to the following years race. (Google Chav and you'll see where this is heading - I think the nearest similes are Trailer Trash in the States or Bogans in Aus.

We were going to buy a Vauxhall Cavalier and hand paint it in the Burberry tartan; make him drive it down to La Sarthe and then convert it into a roadster with an angle grinder once he got there. He would then have to chauffeur us around in it during that week and we were going to leave it as a gift for the French.

Unfortunately, the sub-prime bankers (that's not Cockney rhyming slang) intervened and the plans never came to fruition. The old Porsche gang drifted apart as we nearly all moved onto other marques and the plan never came to fruition - shame.