Forums Latest Members

Charity for victims of the Rolex scam?

1. Faz Feb 7, 2020

Hmmmm...A "suggestion" posted by a concerned TRF forumer

As much as I sympathize with the victims, really? Personally, I would never expect anybody coming to my rescue because I lost a bunch of cash buying a Rolex or any other kind of luxury item. Them the brakes IMO.

"Hi everyone,

...... I have been following the thread since page 4 and cannot stress my sympathy enough to the victims of Chris Essery/HH.
    ......However, I would like to suggest an idea and see if it can gather some traction since more than 352,000 views (and counting) have already been made on these 51 pages alone: can a trusted member of this community help raise a fundraiser online to try to financially support the victims of this scam as it is very unlikely that they will see any money coming back from Mr Essery himself?

The key here would be trust in both the person raising the fundraiser and the persons susceptible to receive the money back to ensure that the right amount goes back to the right people.

What do you people think of this idea? I know that some might think that the money lost by the victims should be considered disposable income due to the nature of the transaction (buying a Rolex). However, I do not believe that this should be considered to be the case as some people might save for years before they can even think of buying this kind of watches.

I myself would participate to this fundraising if assurance can be given that the money would go to the victims, and seeing how this community is having each other's back, hopefully it wouldn't take long before a nice sum can be gathered to help the victims of this scam..."

FREDMAYCOIN likes this.
  2. vitriol Feb 7, 2020

I stopped following that case, but before the lockdown on TRF - there was no proof that anyone actually has lost any money.
    Has that changed? is there any solid outcome that anyone hasn't been repaid or has lost the watch?

watch3s, Motik and connieseamaster like this.
  3. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Feb 7, 2020

Reminds me of the scammer lawyers who scam scam victims by claiming they can get their money back.

Motik and janice&fred like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 7, 2020

Yes - not everyone has their money back. I believe there are a total of 12 victims at this point...

watch3s and ICONO like this.
  5. vitriol Feb 7, 2020

That sux. Where do you follow the plot now?

I am not defending HH, but I do not understand how came those 12 persons haven't speak up before the scandal.

6. Dedalus05 Feb 7, 2020

Yeah, I too was so moved by the heartbreaking plight of the (teenage!) $30,000 luxury watch collector scammed by an "Instagram Influencer" that I donated 10% of my wages this month to another "Instagram Influencer" to provide urgent assistance to them and their families.

Motik, Dsloan, DaveK and 3 others like this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 7, 2020

Would someone start a go fund me to pay back my noob taxes?

watch3s, WYO_Watch, Motik and 16 others like this.
  8. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 7, 2020

Me too! Me too!

9. Risto Feb 7, 2020

We should start general help fund for everybody who sell watches cheaper than they buy. This fund should cover that + 10%

watch3s, lando, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  10. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Feb 7, 2020

I can think of people more ind need of aid that those scam victims however much it sucks to have been fooled by that douchebag.

watch3s, lando, 8100_RPM and 3 others like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 7, 2020

It’s probably 50 scammed of smaller amounts but they were banned from the Facebook site Chris ran, and banned by Chris,s mates from the other Facebook site they complained about being scammed.
    This was a lot wide spread than most can believe and it’s all coming out m

vitriol likes this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 7, 2020

I say give that money to the koalas. They still need their habitat back.

13. zrleopold Feb 7, 2020

::bleh::Anyone who paid $25,000 for a Daytona was getting scammed whether they received a real watch or not

asrnj77, watch3s, pongster and 16 others like this.
  14. absoluteczech Feb 7, 2020

no

Dedalus05 likes this.
  15. Walrus Feb 7, 2020

Isn’t that great. I work in a shelter where we have to beg for funds to help people with all their possessions in a knapsack on their back. Here we they want to fund people who lost money on a watch. Someone lost sight of something.

pongster, shaun hk, marco and 6 others like this.
  16. ICONO Feb 7, 2020

Good for you !!

My respect to you, and your colleagues

watch3s, marco and Walrus like this.
  17. Walrus Feb 7, 2020

Thanks very nice of you. I’ve done this type of work for years, got my degree in counseling. Switched to a different field for six years but got screwed over when I got injured. It’s a positive thing being back helping people. It’s not a field that gets you rich but I can afford a few watches here and there. Just last week I was doing cpr on one of the guys who OD in the bathroom. Scary as hell but he came back the next day like nothing happened, just another day in the life.

Damn I said a day in the life now I need to go listen to the song

18. Faz Feb 7, 2020

It was AUS $ 29k or about USD 19.5k or under présent grey market value. So basically, it was a "too good to be true" deal....marginally!

19. ICONO Feb 7, 2020

Putting watches time to one side…( they do tend to dominate this bloody Forum, for some reason )

You have my admiration for ‘giving a damn’ …and working, with those less fortunate, than ourselves

You see the harsher realities of broken lives…and still you work, to repair them

Thank you for your contribution

Syrte, shaun hk, marco and 2 others like this.
  20. vicsdca Feb 7, 2020

Shouldn't Chris Essery refund his 12 victims? Am I missing something?