Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Jan 3, 2013

I am always interested in peoples fascination with certain styles of watch, and what influenced their particular choices when purchasing. And why people go after a certain type and have many similar examples..?

Does their choice depend on a change in trend?

Is it a sub-conscious development in ones style or a third party influence?

Are they personally significant. Ie. family air looms. Watches passed down or that have a history..?

Why do we move or flip a watch? Is it because we want something 'better' Or because somebody we know has something we like?

Is it examples of workmanship, the engineering? Build quality that attracts you? Aesthetics?

There are obviously many factors that enter into this. I would imagine as many differing opinions too.

It would be great if anybody out there had there list of watches that they have 'held on to' for whatever reason, be it personal or because it has that 'appeal' or it just took your fancy.

Anybody's thoughts, or opinions welcome..

I look forward to your posts!

2. ulackfocus Jan 3, 2013

I buy the type of watch I like to wear. Since my job requires a dress shirt, thin is what I'm after. There are a few chunkier casual watches for days off, but if it's more than 8 mm thick it's not something I look at unless exceptional.

Can't speak about subconscious influence because it's subconscious. :p

The single heirloom I own is a 1940's rose gold Bulova that was my grandfather's. I don't wear it out often but I'd never sell it unless it was to fund emergency surgery for immediate family.

For me, flipping is about giving a watch a trial period and it didn't get a perfect score. It's also part of a quest to upgrade to my ultimate watches. Yes, it's usually because I've seen something somebody else owns that is incredible. Some are vintage, some are modern.

What attracts me to a watch is the movement and the dial. There are other small details that can enhance the visual appeal (ie: lug shape). I want world class quality in the movement, and attention to detail on the dial.

The keepers are the ones that check off the most boxes and are the best examples of their genre.

Dablitzer likes this.
  3. agee Jan 3, 2013

After starting out as an Omega collector I decided to collect military watches a short while ago, specializing in WWII-US, German, British, Japanese examples. I'd also like to add some trench watches with integrated shrapnel guards to my collection-these are really cool
    I have always been an avid reader of military history, esp WWII (reading a good book about the Battle of the Bulge 1944 now) and I was a History major in college and then a History teacher so for me it was a natural progression to look for military watches. I wish they could talk-what great stories they could tell. Also, I love the look of military watches-the size, the black dials, the history, etc. My avatar on this site is a WWW Record and a WWII German Navy scarce Selza KM-Kreigsmarine
    My watch fantasy would be to find and put together a collection of the Dirty Dozen WWW British watches
    So because I started collecting military watches and I don't have a lot to spend I am selling a few non-military Omegas in my collection. I have a stainless 1960's all original Constellation that I would reluctantly consider parting with if I find an Omega military watch I need-I would also consider trading the Constellation for the right military Omega
    Also, I like the "hunt" part of collecting (I have other collecting hobbies)-researching, looking for, and finding something is what gives me the rush. For example, I had been looking for a 1944 US Army stamped Omega for a long time. It was a very long time before I even saw pictures of one and a longer time before I held one. Then in November I asked a dealer friend if he had one. It just made my year when he said yes and I bought it a few weeks ago

4. Dablitzer Jan 3, 2013

Den, i'd love to see that rose gold Bulova! ;) I think you also have also have the grail watch I would like one day..The pink gold marker on black dial Connie...It's in my dreams to find one like it :unsure: I'm also a big lug man, I really like lugs on my new 2937 Seamaster as they're slightly lower profile..and have a different curvature than otherwise seen..

5. Dablitzer Jan 3, 2013

hmm, love the history myself, in fact I've learnt more about history through collecting watches than actually studying it!
    So, what's thus constellation your thinking of flipping? :p

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 3, 2013

[​IMG]
    This is from a manifesto/rationalization I once posted a long time ago in a forum far, far away...

How did I start collecting Primeros? More or less by coincidence. I stumbled across one by chance at an estate sale for (what I learned later was) a giveaway price and bought it on the strength of its visual appeal. Of course, I had heard of the "El Primero" at the time, but no more than that. Once I had the watch in hand, I started to educate myself, and the more I learned, the more I found to like. There's
    1. the name, which to my ears sounded almost tongue-in-cheek, like a mexican masked wrestler (that's a positive to my sensibility)
    2. the great story and enduring controversy of the race to the first automatic chronograph between Zenith, Buren-Breitling-Hamilton-Heuer and Seiko
    3. the even greater story - as close to epic as a watch story can be - of the courageous single-handed Saving of the El Primero during the dark quartz years by the intrepid watchmaker Charles Vermot (http://omegaforums.net/threads/who-was-charles-vermot.2711/)
    4. the amazing longevity of the movement itself - still in current production with minimal change 43 years after its introduction, and still among the best movements you can get
    5. the quality - sought after by Panerai, Rolex, Parmigiani, Concord and others for use in their own pieces.
    6. the instant visual appeal and variety of the watches themselves
    7. the chronograph + date function
    8. the high-beat chronograph seconds sweep - smoooooth. Maybe that's trivial, but I find it to be nice visual reminder of the machine within.
    9. the power reserve which laughs at something like a caliber 11
    10. the amazing precision
    11. the reliability -- I am still in awe of this. 40 year old movements, at least two of which sat in a drawer for decades, all run at 36000 BPH with excellent precision and power reserve - all you have to do is strap them on. I have 10 (now more) of these, and none have ever given me a moment's trouble (yet -- I know, but it still impresses me)
    In brief, layer upon layer of fascination that continues to unfold.

Or it could have been my subclinical OCD. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ulackfocus Jan 3, 2013

Ask and ye shall receive, along with the lady's version:

[​IMG]

I sold it to Angel / alam. He was dying for a black dial, and this watch was just a couple mm too thick for me. It's a real looker though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lug style & design can be the final piece of the perfection puzzle, or it can make you scratch your head and wonder why Dilbert, Wally, and Asok were allow to draw them up.

Kik_Kat_Kish likes this.
  8. agee Jan 3, 2013

That is an awesome Constellation. I love it

9. Dablitzer Jan 3, 2013

Those Bulova are really something..I especially like the contrast salmon dial. It just works. You flipped it? Wow..(NB: PM ALAM...;)...)

10. Dablitzer Jan 3, 2013

Wow - What a great story! Very eloquently put ! :) I wish my Sub-clinical OCD permitted such collecting, but, alas I am off the chart! I need a niche. But I don't think I can narrow my fascination down to just one style...::Envy::. Thanks for sharing!

11. Ray916MN Jan 4, 2013

It is like pulling a string for me which leads me from one collecting theme to another.

Started with understanding that most modern watches contained variants of ETA made movements, which led to learning about the impacts of the quartz watch on the Swiss watch industry which led me to become fascinated with high frequency (36000 bph) movement watches. This fascination led me to the story about which maker was first to create the automatic chronograph, which led me to collecting chronographs with different automatic movements. The use of the Buren microtor movement as the base for the Caliber 11 movement jointly developed by Heuer/Breitling/Hamilton-Buren and Dubois-Depraz led me to begin collecting some microtor movement watches. The Seiko 6139 (Seiko's first automatic chronograph) led me to looking into the history of Seiko which led me to collecting some of their automatic chronographs, and some of their high frequency watches. Seiko made two high frequency dive watches the 6159-7000 and 6159-7010 and collecting these led me to start collecting dive watches, which got me a bunch of Kontikis, Seamasters, Favre Leuba, Universal Geneve .... The Seamasters along with chronos got me looking more at Omega. Looking at Omegas got me looking at Speedmasters, which got me collecting watches flown in space, which means having a Speedmaster 145-012, Seiko "Pogue", Breitling 809, Accutron Astronaut, and a Sturmanskie and a list of other watches to buy. Looking at Omegas got me to buy a Seamaster GMT which led me to start to collect GMTs (never met a complication I didn't like or feel compelled to own). Which got me to looking harder at Rolexes. The design of the high frequency Zodiac Astrographic got me looking at modern watch designs, which got me to collect some Venturas and Ikepods and to be on the hunt for a Vache or Lecoultre "Museum Watch". There are allot more threads and connections through out what I've collected and what is on my list to collect and the time sequence of the connection is non-linear like the movie Pulp Fiction, but one thing is for certain, just like the universe my collecting continues to expand.

An aversion to gold cased or toned watches and dress watches keeps me away from what most of the vintage collectors here collect, although it doesn't stop me from appreciating them and thinking, someday maybe I'll get with the mainstream program here.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 4, 2013

I don't really know how to describe my personal taste, it varies depending on mood a lot, and where I'm going and so on, but I guess its that I see different slots for different watches, and like to continue taking each of those slots to its logical extreme one step at a time. Confused by that statement? I am too.

Certain watches are legendary pieces, that exist outside of style and fashion and changing tastes. The Rolex Submariner and the Speedmaster Pro are at the top of that list. Then when I looked a bit deeper, the Submariner to get, to fill that slot is the 1680, its vintage, its durable, its serviceable, and its the original Sub-Date, and while there are earlier subs, this was the first truly reliable practical one IMO. Then in the Speedmaster camp, it has to be Cal 321, the CK2915 and CK2998s are great, but broadarrow hands are impractical and both have rubbish water resistance, that meant I was drawn to the 105.012/145.012 as far as a daily wear Cal 321.

Dress watch wise you've got a few options, JLC made some but really its the Reverso that deserves that JLC slot in the watch box, that isn't to say others aren't great watches but the Reverso is its own genre. Which leaves two major players, the Omega Constellation, and the Patek Calatrava, as the Rolex Day-Date and Datejust are simply not true dress watches in any sense. Getting anything but a poor condition Calatrava is beyond me at present, so I looked down the Constellation line... it needs to be a pie-pan, that's the pick of the breed. It should have arrowheads, and in a perfect world, it would be solid gold. A Deluxe or Grand Lux then becomes the ultimate form, and its one of those watches where no matter which forum it appears on, people take notice.

And so on it goes, legendary watches. Watches that were made perfectly the first time. Style becomes irrelevant, as does size and shape. Legendary watches are approved of irrespective of their price point, their merit isn't tied to monetary value. Its the same reason a lowly 60s Mini Cooper S is respected by Porsche owners, why BMW E30 M3s are cool in spite of their ridiculous bodykits, as are Audi UR Quattros. Every now and then something is designed that comes together in just the right way to make it the benchmark rather than a competitor.

The original Zenith A386, I think fits this perfectly. The Patek perpetual calendar chronograph, the Seiko 150M diver, the Bulova Accutron Spaceview, the Rolex GMT-Master, the Casio G-Shock, the Omega PloProf 600, the AP Royal Oak, the list goes on.

Style, trends and fashion just don't matter with any of them, they're cool forever.

That's a very chaotic and over-simplified description of how I look at watches and trends, but its as close to making sense as I can get...

13. Melhadary Jan 4, 2013

For me, this vintage Omega obsession was kicked off by finding my late father's Omega Seamaster Deville in his cupboard... somewhat cliche, but I have always had a thing for watches since I grew up seeing specifically Constellations on my folks wrists since I began to understand the value of a time telling piece.... At first it was the trend of the times which lead my interests and tastes, and at a very early age I was given my first Swatch, and became obsessed with the cut and paste characteristic and was making different Swatch styles from different cases and bands... all in line with the funky 80's fluorescent greens, oranges and yellows!! :oops:

All of us outgrow the styles and flavors of their age, and look to the context that surrounds them, and growing up in the Gulf region (Kuwait specifically) I was subjected to all the luxurious and high end brands, and the refined styles and "chic" fashion that come along with them, so the awareness and knowledge was there, but still, function and disposable value for money aspect always outweighed form, and it was the Casio's and Seiko's of that next phase which defined what went on my wrist.

All up until that "knowledge and awareness of the refined styles" and brands kicked in as one got into the corporate life and work industry, and the need to wear what goes with a suit and a tie became the common denominator when it came to deciding my next time piece.... Tissot was the closest to me at the time, financially and logically. After a series of Tissots, mixed in with an aching, coveting sensation coming in from flashbacks of my folks' Omega's, my search for that refined feel on my wrist kicked in!!

Unfortunately, I despise large watches, an emotion driven by my tiny wrists and small demeanor, and hate to feel that my fashion out weighs my body mass. Looking at the modern Omega's of the day became a depressing exercise in "want" vs "can't"..... until I ran into the glitter and shine of my dad's De Ville August of 2012. It was gold, though, and I wasn't really into "yellow" wrists, but the "vintage" concept became my driving force... so small yet so "there" and precious, those were mainly the 40's to 60's styles which became so obvious to me as I researched the brand, and the collections within, astounded by the history and the heritage of the Seamaster collection specifically (taking into consideration that those modern SM's are also soooooo damn appealing to me, but were so damn big!!! :mad: ).

I had discovered my flavor, and the style I would pursue! A timeline collection honoring the heritage of the Seamaster collection, with specific pieces representing iconic Seamaster pieces or moments.... from the 40's to the late 60's. Since then, 15 watches have rolled in! Some I would wear, because they define the ultimate in style and design, even by today's standards, other I would only collect and maintain as part of a very directed and specific collection and very refined hobby!

14. cltdoc Jan 4, 2013

I started with a PO (which I love). That led to a passion for vintage Omegas, especially ones from the late 60's to the mid 70's. I was born in 1970, so it seems appropriate - haha. I'm most interested by the different unusual movements and cases that came out of Omega at that time. I mean, how practical is the Chronostop? And my "Yacht" version has that cool rotating inner bezel. The Flightmaster cases was so iconic, Omega has used a similar one in their new Spacemaster. My Speedy 1045 (actually Lemania mov't) has a movement that is removable from the case. The Memomatic is a mechanical watch, yet has a little ringing alarm. I guess it's like with girls...anything but boring!

15. Dablitzer Jan 4, 2013

Dsio, good points!

Every now and then something is designed that comes together in just the right way to make it the benchmark rather than a competitor.

Style, trends and fashion just don't matter with any of them, they're cool forever.

I'm completely with you and seem to come from the same page. I believe with some legendary designs they become 'Timeless' irrespective of their age or popularity. Size, or style not of that moment matters very little to me. Otherwise I wouldn't be collecting Vintage! But it's about the influence and history that proceeds it..Great Post!

16. Dablitzer Jan 4, 2013

@Melhadary Very interesting..I actually started from a young age with Swatch! ..then moved on to digital watches for a time..Casio an Seiko, but found the niche in Vintage 40's, 50's and 60's from my parents tastes and their obsession with taking me around Antiques fairs from an early age..Dad was an artist and designer and mum an art teacher so style and period was very close to their hearts..The family home is still full to brimming with antiquities..I guess subconsciously I had a keen eye for shiny things..and also things with character..I used to collect old cameras and coins & stamps, so collecting has always been a passion..but it's getting deeper into the world of watches that has really made me want to take it further than a hobby..I am a musician by trade so as a way of calming my nerves I have many hobbies outside of my work...even when I should really be learning dots on the stave! ;-/

17. Dablitzer Jan 4, 2013

I like that you've stuck to Omega :)..to be honest there's such a range out there..and one never tires of the amazing appeal of their designs. Even if something has been imitated or copied in design, case or dial, it is usually pulled off so classically with omega..I mean not all there watches are practical..But they are all interesting and that's what fascinates me..you're always learning, identifying..

18. pdxleaf ... Aug 28, 2021

[Bump.]

An ode from the heart to watch collecting. A gift from the past.

lindo likes this.