Forums Latest Members
  1. David Rees Apr 3, 2016

So I've now had my watch 2 months and I'm more than pleased with it.Im wearing it as an everyday watch apart from sports like running etc when I need more info.Ive even had to dive with it and can say it performed very well and so it should it is a dive watch! I have other dive watches that are cheaper and in have a better bezel but they only look good under water.Anyway to the point in question,I bought the very nice leather strap and took it to my local watch shop to switch straps,I had tried my self with no luck.The shop is not an Omega shop but have been selling watched for 30 plus years,they were not able to take the braclet off this seems seems strange,do I have to go to Omega to change straps evertime?
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

image.jpeg
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 3, 2016

Watch a few ytube videos on said watch practice a bit on your other watches and you will pick it up. Take your time and get the right tools.
    Changing your own is easy and opens up a heap of fun..

Others might link some good instruction videos for you..

mokofoko likes this.
  3. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 3, 2016

Also, not sure of you have enough space bit you could also tape your lugs. This will help avoid any scratching...

mokofoko likes this.
  4. Civilguy007 Apr 3, 2016

It shouldn't be that difficult to release the spring bar. I have done it several times on my SM300MC with no problems...with the proper tool.

However, the first time the bracelet was removed it was by my OB when they were showing me some strap options. So maybe they " got it started ".

If you have an OB near you, have them do it. They will likely do it at no charge (regardless of where you purchased the watch and strap).

Here's a shot of my first strap change...

[​IMG]

mokofoko and Mr Bing like this.
  5. Mr Bing Apr 3, 2016

I think the SM300 is better suited to a strap and it's gonna look great as you can see in Civilguy007's shot.

I can't offer any advice but In the next couple of days I'm also going to be attempting my first strap change. I was going to take mine to the OB but figured I've got to do it myself at some time.

I thing I've got the correct Bergeon tool so.....plenty of tape, a good stiff drink and hoping for the best.

Good luck (to both of us) :)

image.jpeg

6. David Rees Apr 3, 2016

Thank You guys for your feed back.Can you tell me the exact name and size of the tools your using?The tool I have is to big I think.
    Thanks

7. DJM74 Apr 3, 2016

I use a Bergeon 6111 Spring Bar Tool For changing my strap on my planet ocean which I do regularly.

8. Mr Bing Apr 3, 2016

Based on advice I've gathered from the forum I'll be using the Bergeon 6111 as seen in the above photo.

9. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 3, 2016

The proper generic tool is less than $10 bucks on ebay/amazon.

On another note, if you're visiting a watchshop that cannot even figure out how to put on a bracelet/strap, AVOID them for anything except purchases.

Edited Apr 3, 2016
    Foo2rama likes this.
  10. Civilguy007 Apr 3, 2016

Three's a charm, I too have the Bergeon 6111.
    [​IMG]

I also have a cheaper one that came with a kit. It didn't last long after it met up with one stubborn bracelet with a very old and corroded spring bar.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 3, 2016

As noted, if they cannot change out a bracelet run from them.
    Also when you start to do this yourself I highly recommend changing them in a 1 gallon clear plastic bag, you will launch springbars the first few times, and this will save your eyes from being hit at the worst, and at the best having to hunt down a springbar that could be anywhere within a 1/4 mile of you lol.

Txstargazer3 and mokofoko like this.
  12. David Rees Apr 4, 2016

Thanks guys I have just ordered the tool, Let you you know how I get on.

13. Cosd Apr 4, 2016

Any pictures of this done?

14. David Rees Apr 7, 2016

So guys I ordered exactly what you guys said and this very very small pin with fork arrived,is this really the correct tool? It's so small I can almost not hold it.Problebly I'm being stupid but am I missing something?

15. David Rees Apr 7, 2016

Sorry forgot photo!

image.jpeg
  16. abrod520 Apr 7, 2016

That's a cheap little version of the springbar tool that is sometimes included with straps or spring bars, depending on where you buy it from. It is not the Bergeon tool pictured above though. Was the product you purchased definitely different from what you received? If so, you should contact the seller immediately.

Otherwise, yeah, that'll work but I wouldn't advise using it until you're much more experienced.

17. Modernism Apr 7, 2016

Isn't that just the attachment that you have to screw in to the tool? Nobody can hold that

18. uvalaw2005 Apr 7, 2016

Yeah, that's just the reversible tip for the Bergeon 6111. How much did you pay? The tool is ~$40, the replacement tips are ~$5.

6406111.jpg

19. abrod520 Apr 7, 2016

Ah I was wrong! I thought it might have been just the insert, but then it reminded me of this, which I got with an order of NATO straps I think:

image.jpeg

uvalaw2005 likes this.
  20. David Rees Apr 7, 2016