Forums Latest Members
  1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Dec 12, 2015

I'm swapping bezels on one of my Speedies and was curious if anyone knew how to re-attach the bezel without using a case press. Are there any methods that involve common household tools? Obviously, I'll man-up and buy the $15 press if that's the only route, but I can't be the first person to consider this conundrum...

Cheers,
    CF

mokofoko likes this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 12, 2015

If you could find something, say a bottle or can that's close to the same size as the bezel, you might be able to press it on. You might also scratch something. Imagine making that dot disappear?!

I just got one of those presses. It's easy with the press.

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 12, 2015

Their $10 on eBay and work great on walnuts

CajunTiger and Traveler like this.
  4. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Dec 12, 2015

Yeah, probably has more to do with me not wanting to wait another two days to put it on. But I'll just man up and buy one.

5. blunosr Dec 12, 2015

I bought a cheap one from Otto Frei and it was a good call. Made the swap easy.
    FYI the discs that come with the cheap model don't work for the speedie so I ordered a pack of larger size ones.

6. redpcar Dec 12, 2015

If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, they sell them there, too.

7. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Dec 12, 2015

Thanks, guys. Guess I'll just have to wait a couple more days...

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 12, 2015

Check pm

9. Davidt Dec 12, 2015

I've been meaning to get the gear for this for a while. Think I'll order one of the cheap presses from ebay tomorrow.

Just need to buy a plastic poker chip as well, unless there's an actual tool for that as well? I don't like the look of the ones on ebay with the four metal blades though.

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 12, 2015

You can use one of the plastic discs that come with the press.

Make sure you buy the press with enough clearance. Some have a high lower pin that the plastic dies sit on that is too high.

mokofoko likes this.
  11. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Dec 12, 2015

I actually used the key to my bike lock, as it was made of soft plastic and had a straight edge. Getting the bezel off is simply a matter of leverage. Getting it back on is the tricky part...

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 12, 2015

I have one of those 4 blade ones. Works well. I can't bring myself to try the poker chip method.

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 12, 2015

That's quite funny, I can't bring myself to use the 4 blade tool!

I can't think of metal on metal.

Davidt and oddboy like this.
  14. Eric_navi Dec 13, 2015

i saw this a while back and it gave me the idea to try all of the tops to your spices the spice cabinet? I use a case press but out of curiosity I did find a spice top which was the perfect diameter and had enough clearance for the crystal. the reason i did not use one is i did not want to risk leaving an indent. the case press is more surface area.

15. wsfarrell Dec 13, 2015

A couple of suggestions:

1. Protect the bezel by placing a baggie or something similar over it before pressing.
    2. Get the bezel as level as you can before pressing. If it starts in at an angle, it can be trouble.
    3. Apply a tiny tiny tiny amount of a lubricant (I use Dow 111) around the rim of the bezel to facilitate the process. By "tiny," I mean a pinhead's worth. I usually just touch my finger to the mouth of the tube and then run it around the inside of the bezel.
    4. If it is taking more pressure than a firm handshake, back off and check everything.

mokofoko, M'Bob and bazamu like this.
  16. emilio Dec 13, 2015

Do you guys have a link to one of those cheap bezel removal tools?

I have already got a crystal press but don't have the balls to remove the bezel with a knife or poker chip..

17. redpcar Dec 13, 2015

upload_2015-12-13_12-31-57.png

18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 13, 2015

Well it is a braver man than me who puts a steel blade near a speedmaster bezel. I am aware the experts do it with a watch knife, but I just cannot seem to get it. I am terrified of marking something. After all, look at all the damage on snap cases.

The poker chip method works with any plastic, which I believe absorbs the shock and distributes the force without risk of metal to metal contact. I also use one of the plastic discs that come with the bezel press.

Here is a word of caution on the press. Some dont leave much room between the discs, as shown below. I had to but a second one. I must say I also have a slightly better, more expensive one in UK where I keep everything, and it is easier to use - more robust and better engineered. But if the bezel is going to go on, the cheap press will get it on.

The one on the left has a raised pin - why I dont know, it simply reduces the gap.
    3-PC130003.jpg

2-PC130002.jpg

As you can tell it is much easier to line up and maintain the alignment using the press on the right. For the upper disc I have found the 40mm one works best.

For those who havent seen it:

Just Livin, mokofoko, hugo and 4 others like this.
  19. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Dec 13, 2015

There's honestly not anything to be afraid of if you follow William's video above. Just make sure the plastic has solid contact with the edge of the bezel and then just give it a light tap with a hammer. It'll pop right off, just like in the video.

mokofoko likes this.
  20. Cal_321 Dec 13, 2015

Thanks for this tip. Very helpful!