Forums Latest Members

Changing hands '57 Re-Edition To 2998 Style Alphas

1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 21, 2015

I have the Model 3894, "57 Reissue". After getting it and using it a few years, I had its stainles bezel and broad arrow hands removed, it's like a modern Speedmaster except for the dial.

I'm thinking of putting the alpha hands and sweep seconds on there for something different. Anyone tried this yet?

Wes Grau (CMW21) will do this for me, he lives "down the street" in FIBLand.

Tom

Buck2466 likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 21, 2015

Just updated thread title to make it more verbose, I know I've seen one member actually have a project watch that he's at different points had the '57 replica hands on and OEM alpha hands on so given that I'd imagine its a straight swap

VetPsychWars likes this.
  3. speedyfan Apr 22, 2015

I did this recently, First it started with the bezel and hands, put an old DON on it and the FOIS hands; 57 re-issue.JPG

Then decided I really just wanted to make it look like a 2998 for daily wear, one I didn't have to worry about beating up and wanted it to glow in the dark to be a bit more functional. I found some white leaf hands and I like the spear Chrono better so I changed that over. Then I dropped it into a 64' straight lug case for grins today;

2998.jpg

Have to say I LOVE it. It will Probably make the Vintage die-hards cringe but some guys really like the NOS SM300 WatchCo builds and I think this works really well. Maybe next I will swap the bezel to new stock and save this DON so I can truly call it a beater. Oh and a silver tension ring should finish it off nicely.

Good luck and enjoy the project!

VetPsychWars and hansmaulwurf like this.
  4. Noisy Nova Apr 22, 2015

Speedmasters are just so much fun. :thumbsup:

5. SeanO Apr 22, 2015

the only thing we really care about is honesty.

there's nothing wrong with modding your watch. It looks great :thumbsup:

speedyfan likes this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 22, 2015

@speedyfan, did you say you started with a '57 reissue? Got a pic of it before mods just for giggles?

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 22, 2015

I'm glad to see that you verify that everything fits well!

Tom

8. speedyfan Apr 23, 2015

Sorry no, I can't seem to find one but it did indeed start out as a 3594.50 (looked like this image taken from internet), Now I have a SS bezel and silver broad arrow hands in a drawer;

3594.50.png

Yes Tom, everything fits well, minute hand runs out to the track, it's not "short" like the Seamaster hands. It is a really straight forward swap. Here is another picture when I changed just the bezel and main hands with straight chrono hand, retaining the silver subdial hands. On mesh, a totally different look again;

Mesh.jpg

Edited Apr 23, 2015
    VetPsychWars likes this.