Forums Latest Members

Ceramics. Which models, when and other info.

1. Pakiwi Aug 4, 2016

I am an engineer by trade and those around me would say I am very black and white in how I view things.
    Always loved Omega for their preciseness and detail since seeing it on my fathers wrist growing up.

So I am interested in when Omega went to Ceramics and which models have been ceramic. I believe I read that there was also a change in the mixture for ceramics.
    I have to say seeing the DSOTM video and graphics on this site, the preciseness of how it looks has me interested, though this is definitely out of my price range.
    I know I am going to have to go see some Ceramics in person, though I have to travel several hours to the boutique, which I may do on my next day off.
    I know I have seen at least two ceramics damaged on this website, but from what I have read, that is certainly not the norm.
    Thanks for any info.
    Allan

2. mdgrwl Aug 4, 2016

I know the Planter Ocean went ceramic from the 2500 to 8500 - someone correct me if I'm wrong?

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Aug 4, 2016

Are you referring to the case, the dial or the bezel?

4. Pakiwi Aug 4, 2016

Yes, yes and yes.

5. abrod520 Aug 4, 2016

Ceramic bezel insert perhaps, but not the case or dial as is the situation with the Dark Side / Grey Side models

6. mdgrwl Aug 4, 2016

Ah, didn't know you were looking for the entire case to be Ceramic. I know the Dark/Grey SOM but that's about it, sorry.

7. Pakiwi Aug 4, 2016

I am interested in which models have ceramic pieces. I am guessing the dial was first. If so which modern model has the ceramic dial.
    I know since the dial they have moved on to bezel and case.

8. friendharry Aug 4, 2016

The Planet Ocean 42 mm had a LE with ceramic case
    The DSOTM, GSOTM, WSOTM and the black, vintage blac and sedna ceramic.
    And this year the meteorite dial / ceramic case

Pakiwi likes this.
  9. Gsa Aug 4, 2016

"I know I have seen at least two ceramics damaged on this website, but from what I have read, that is certainly not the norm."

Which bit isn't the norm? In the 20 months i've had mine i've only seen or heard of 3 Omega Ceramics damaged, the 1 DSOM that has pictures everywhere that no one knows how or when it broke and 2 recent GSOM with chips. In the release film for the GSOM they mention during that the ceramic composition of it is different than the DSOM.

10. karalhoin Aug 8, 2016

The first Omega watch fully in ZrO2 ceramic (case, pushers, bezel, dial, clasp) was the Dark Side of the Moon from 2013. After that they released multiple variations of it. And of course, ceramic is being used in the bezels of some other models, but as far as I know, only for the bezel.

11. Phil h Punxatawnee Phil - now out of the shadows. Aug 8, 2016

Which 42mm Planet Ocean had a ceramic case?
    The original 2500 Liquid Metal had ceramics but not case IIRC. There may also have been a precious metal case with orange ceramic bezel and 8500 movement.
    The new Deep Black POs are 45.5mm

12. jcmartinez98 Aug 8, 2016

Pretty sure the newest PO is ceramic case

In aptitude testing terms. DSOM is to speedmaster as deep black is to PO.

13. Pakiwi Aug 9, 2016

Saw the Co-Axial Seamaster has a ceramic dial. Going to have to see one in person. I like the preciseness of the Speedmaster that I own. Not relating to the accuracy, but rather how precise everything is on the dial. Though wonder if the dial in ceramic will make it look clinical.