Forums Latest Members

Ceramic Moon Watches New Clasps?

1. alford78 Oct 19, 2015

I have a GSOTM and want to have some custom straps made for it but can't decide on what clasp to use. I know the new models feature a deployant clasp but I am 100 miles from a boutique to go check it out. The very few pictures and videos I've seen look like its a type of clasp that places the strap inside the strap instead of outside where keepers would hold the end of the strap. In my limited experience I don't think I would like this but have never worn a watch like this.

If I end up buying custom straps I will need to have them made without keepers and for use with only the Omega Ceramic/Titanium clasp (which I'm sure is extremely expensive) so it's tempting to just go with an aftermarket clasp that I can use that places the band on the outside of the strap under keepers.

I don't know what to do and any and all advise would be great since I'm eager to get some new custom straps made for this beautiful watch. A micro adjustable double folding deployant which places the strap on the outside would be ideal but fear it's about as available as unicorn horns. Guess I'll just have to make the 2+ hour drive to the nearest boutique unless get talked out of the new omega clasp before then which would be nice as it alone could cost more than 2 custom straps.

Thanks and sorry for the ramble!
    Alex

2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Oct 19, 2015

Omega deployant straps were almost always tail under. The tail might poke out but a few weeks of pushing it back and eventually it gets "trained".

Sounds like you should just get pin buckles.

Tom

bama2141 likes this.
  3. yinzerniner Oct 19, 2015

You really have to try on the Omega style deploy clasp before making a decision. I, along with numerous others, find it to be the most comfortable and sophisticated style of clasp out there, since the sized end (the one with the holes) going underneath thus your wrist has minimal metal contact with strap coming in between the deploy and the skin. Alas, it's not a customizable as the infinite fit Breitling or Tag clasps, but since it uses a small protruding tang or prong to hold in the strap as opposed to tension it sits slightly flatter on the wrist then the aforementioned other brands.

Just an FYI - the ceramic version of the deploy is in the neighborhood of $1000 USD, so probably not worth it. Since so little of the clasp is exposed when worn I'd just go with the regular stainless steel version an spend the difference on straps.

4. shutterlife Oct 19, 2015

I just opted for the titanium deployant buckle. First glance, looks almost like the GSOTM. Might change my mind when the GSOTM ceramic deployant becomes available.

5. alford78 Oct 20, 2015

Where is the titanium OEM buckle sold? Do you have a link? I was looking at the matte and satin OEM deployants at nearly $320 so the ceramic at 650 may not be too bad.

6. shutterlife Oct 20, 2015

Where did you hear the ceramic buckles are $650? I went to the boutique and asked. My sales guy offered to give me the one off Speedmaster Solar Impulse HB-SIA. But I waited, which was only a week or so.

7. jcmartinez98 Oct 20, 2015

I was told about the same number at the tourbillon store in Chicago

8. alford78 Oct 21, 2015

Just saw a person quote that number or a number very similar. Take it with a grain of salt as I've seen quite a few random numbers. I'm hoping it's close though lol.

9. shutterlife Oct 21, 2015

I wouldn't mind picking up a ceramic deployant buckle for that price. Wish it was true.

10. Menno86 Nov 2, 2015

[​IMG]

Does anyone has some more info on the new clasps? I've read "this new ceramic/titanium folding clasp will be delivered with the regular Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon and Grey Side of the Moon from November on." And "With this new Omega Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon Vintage Black, Omega also introduces the new ceramic folding clasp. Ceramic and titanium I have to add, as the long ends of the clasp needs to ‘move’ of course in order to open and close (click)."

[​IMG]

KstateSkier likes this.
  11. abrod520 Nov 2, 2015

My local OB (5th Ave) says the same about availability on the original Dark Side. Having tried them on, I like it but I'd need to try them side by side before buying - the original Dark Side strap was a bit balky, but this clasp would pick up desk diving marks immediately.

alford78 likes this.
  12. Menno86 Nov 2, 2015

No desk diving marks if its ceramic. What part is titanium, the pusher of the clasp?

13. abrod520 Nov 2, 2015

Oh, I doubt it'd end up unscathed on my wrist ;)

The whole clasp is ceramic/titanium. There may be some steel hardware inside (springs etc) but Omega goes whole hog in these situations - the OEM NATO strap on my Speedmaster XI-45 has a titanium buckle, likely saving all of a few fractions of a gram over the steel ;)

14. shutterlife Nov 2, 2015

The desk is more likely to get scratched than the ceramic buckle.

Picked up a plain titanium deployant and I find it more comfortable. So I will definitely pick up a GSOTM deployant when what becomes available.

15. yinzerniner Nov 2, 2015

@abrod520
    Looks to me that the narrow interior prongs are some sort of PVD or simlarly blackened titanium, as the small wings need to catch in order for it to latch inside the wide prongs. Those small wings look to be a high-stress and contact area, and might be prone to chipping and/or breakage so they probably shouldn't be constructed out of ceramic. Not sure about everything else, but going off the clasp used in the White Side of The Moon it appears as if the only ceramic part is the small wedge that houses the release pushers and mechanism (pics from Fratello):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course maybe Omega decided to go "whole hog" as you suggested and Titanium is only used for spots where a weld or a screw was needed for construction.

16. abrod520 Nov 2, 2015

@yinzerniner you're probably right - I'd bet the clasp is blackened titanium (as even modern PVD is prone to chipping away sometimes), while the buckle itself is the ceramic part. Still I'd be surprised if the spring mechanism inside the buckle (providing the resistance to the pushers) is titanium.

17. jcmartinez98 Nov 2, 2015

shouldn't. the external portion is ceramic. the inner portion is the titanium.

18. Menno86 Nov 3, 2015

Is it possible to attach this clasp to the standard strap?

19. alford78 Nov 3, 2015

No

20. alford78 Nov 3, 2015

Exactly! That's the whole purpose and why I want one lol.