Forums Latest Members

Ceramic Bezel Durability?

1. Torque Time Oct 20, 2017

Hello to all...New to the sight and First Post / Question...
    I have a 1971 Rolex DateJust model 1601 w leather strap and looking to add a Sub to my collection.
    I've been reading about the durability of the newest Ceramic Bezels on Rolex and found mixed reviews. Some owners have experienced cracking/shattering w impact...dropping. So this leads me to my 2 questions:
    1.) What does the Forum say?
    2.) Will an aluminum bezel fit / interchange w a ceramic bezel Sub?

CTS-V likes this.
  2. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Oct 21, 2017

Obviously, if impacted - a lot more could happen besides problems with the ceramic insert such as the crystal being chipped.
    No, the aluminum bezel will not fit the ceramic models..

3. Overgrower Oct 21, 2017

I’ve had my Ceramic Sub for 6 years and absolutely no problems. Meanwhile aluminum inserts have suffered scratches.

4. Torque Time Oct 22, 2017

TIG - Tks for info about aluminum not fitting ceramic. I've read rpts about possible chipping w impacts too.
    Tks for response.

5. Torque Time Oct 22, 2017

Overgrower - Tks for data point about your experience w your SubC. I've read some other Rolex centric Forums and seen similar info w only single digit rpts of damage requiring replacement.
    Tks for info...

6. Torque Time Oct 22, 2017

Speedy42 - I too like the faded look of aluminum, it give watch a certain look of character. But think I favor the more consistent presentation the ceramic offers. In my research, I did find a guy in Florida who claims he wears his SubC daily on beach in sand and surf w zero fading or damage. He even covered watch in sand w bezel down and it showed no signs of scratxhing or damage.
    Tks for response...

Speedy42 likes this.
  7. Optimizer13 Oct 22, 2017

I've had my SubC for 2 years and wear it often (golf, snowboarding, woodworking, watersports, wash dishes, etc.) While the case has a lot of scratches, the ceramic bezel is in perfect condition.

8. red1108nyc Oct 25, 2017

I have had 6-8 ceramic pieces and all are great.

9. Torque Time Oct 28, 2017

Optimizer13 - Tks for responding and sharing your experience w you SubC. It mirrors what I suspected and have read on other threads/sites.
    Tks again!

10. Torque Time Oct 28, 2017

Red1108nyc - Tks for sharing. I look fwd to adding more watches to my inventory...maybe even 6 or 8...That is a great data point as a reference for durability of ceramic.
    Tks again

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 28, 2017

One way to look at it is if you break the ceramic you ruined an aluminum bezel. Granted replacement costs are far different.

Every bad ceramic bezel I've seen has sapphire same also...

watch3s likes this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 28, 2017

My GMT Master 2 has been on a lot of active outings and I’ve never had a problem. Had it since Feb 2013. Frankly I worry more about the aluminum bezels.

13. Torque Time Oct 29, 2017

Foo2rama - You make a great point about the abuse it would take to destroy a ceramic vs aluminum bezel and the replacement cost comparison. That is the exact conversation I have had w a fellow watch guy and friend of mine. He is a fan of aluminum.

Also an interesting perspective you being up about the crystal material. I remember when watch makers made the move to crystal v plastic...lots of concerns about damage potential. Hate to admit but I've dropped several watches w crystals w NO damage.
    Tks for info and insight.

14. Torque Time Oct 29, 2017

Larry S - Tks for info about your GMT M II. Another great data point in the ceramic column for durability and supports Rolex decision to move to new materials.

I agree the aluminum bezel does have a tendency to show wear faster. Some people prefer the character a worn watch presents but I prefer the option of a 3 yr old watch looking almost new even after several yrs of daily use.
    Tks for sharing and perspective.

15. efthi Oct 29, 2017

I treat my watches with care but I had an Omega with steel insert that got scratched and I was always looking at that scratch... I moved to Rolex and ceramic models, I can say that they don't scratch and they don't easily break as someone might expects since I have hit my wrist once over a door handle and I was sure it would have the ceramic cracked or hurt.... survived and look 100% new!

16. Torque Time Oct 29, 2017

efthi -Tks for response and sharing your experience. My daily wear is the 1601 model in my avatar an I'm as careful as I can be but have had my share of impact w door frames and the plastic pie pan crystal has survived like a champ. I have to imagine the ceramic has to be more durable. I think a scratch on an aluminum bezel would also drive me crazy too. Glad to hear your ceramic was not damaged after impact. Gives me more data for next purchase. SubC or maybe the GMT II.
    TKs again for sharing.

17. 77deluxe Nov 19, 2017

I had a GMT with a ceramic bezel that I wore as a beater. It took some serious knocks. They are tough. I’d be more worried about it falling out than shattering. I actually ended up selling it after a few years, probably because it never developed any “wabi” and continued to look too perfect. It was a great watch. Helped me figure out just how much I prefer vintage.

18. Torque Time Nov 25, 2017

77 deluxe - Tks for sharing info and experience w ceramic bezel. I thought I wanted a SubC but it sees like every where I look I see a Sub. I think I've decided on a GMT Master II as my next purchase. So your info is timely.

Tks again for sharing!

19. 77deluxe Nov 25, 2017

I think that’s an excellent choice. You can’t go wrong with a GMT

20. Torque Time Nov 26, 2017

Tks! I work in the aviation business and use Zulu time on a regular basis which makes the GMT hand very attractive and functional. And knowing the history of how the GMT came into existance as a joint effort w Pan Am and Rolex is pretty cool. Plus I really like the ability to track 3 time zones by simply rotating the bezel.

Tks again!