Forums Latest Members

CAUGHT A NICE ROLEX GMT 1675

1. erpin9 May 21, 2015

I finally got my Rolex GMT 1675 in very good condition. It's a 1968 model. The dial has that nice vintage look and the bezel has minimal fading.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TLIGuy and Drawarms like this.
  2. lwong May 21, 2015

I hate to rain on your parade, but that's nowhere close to "very good condition". I hope it didn't cost you too much.

More broadly, you've bought a lot of watches lately, multiples at each interval it seems. It might be better to do thorough research on each individual piece before committing.

bazamu, persco, donkii and 1 other person like this.
  3. omitohud May 21, 2015

My friend. I would b very wary of those cracked lume. If i were u i would get those relumed. The reason being that they might fall off n get into the movement through the date window. [emoji298]️

4. erpin9 May 21, 2015

Thanks for the advise. Maybe I will look for a good used dial if I can find one.

5. erpin9 May 21, 2015

Many thanks for the comment. What I meant was for a 47 year old watch it still looks good. The only thing that I can fault is the cracked lumes and polished case. I paid $3.5K for it.

Edited May 21, 2015
  6. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG May 21, 2015

I think bezel insert is also a replcement. But 3.5k is certainly a decent price for that Long E GMT.

7. erpin9 May 21, 2015

I had the watch checked at the Rolex Center because that was also my suspicion but they said the bezel was original. Actually if you see the watch in the metal the red color is slightly faded already.

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 21, 2015

you can't really tell if a bezel is replaced if the replacement is the original part, I am surprised Rolex gave that assessment as they are normally very conservative on their evaluations of Vintage pieces. I have a 69 GMT. Great price for a vintage GMT. Would love to see more of it. It seems like it has been very polished, if that is the case then the bezel really makes less sense in that condition. I like the Dial but the cracking is unfortunate. Did you get a look at the movement?

9. erpin9 May 21, 2015

Movement is very clean and the watch keeps good time. No need to have it overhauled according to my watch maker. I will try to post a picture of the movement.

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 21, 2015

Enjoy it in good health.

11. omitohud May 21, 2015

Thats a good price, so u did really well there. Just get it relume n wear the hell out of it. A good mark I dial is pretty expensive. Probably not worth it unless for a safe queen IMO. [emoji122]

12. erpin9 May 21, 2015

Is there a way to prevent the cracked lumes from falling apart?

13. redpcar May 21, 2015

This falls into the category: "It is what it is"
    I love the look myself. I have an old GMT where the lume in the hands is similar to yours. I simply swapped out the hands and put the originals in a safe place. Looks like you made a great deal.

erpin9 likes this.
  14. alfanator May 21, 2015

That cracked lume is cool looking. Rather peculiar for a Rolex of that vintage, i often see the lume more matte and not raised/bubbly.

15. lenny May 21, 2015

I believe that it could be stabilized by an experienced repair person. Of course it could also crumble away as well...

Edited May 21, 2015
  16. omitohud May 22, 2015

I know it can be done to the hands by applying a clear coating such as nail polish from the back. But dial lume, i would assume it would b hard to do n most likely doesnt look good, or even make it worst. Imagine applying liquid to dry out talc. U might check out professional restorer such as bob riley or abc watchwerk in LA. Personally i would either relume or just scrape them off, which is not too bad. Just a bunch of white clean dots. Good luck.

Btw the insert is genuine, just not period correct for ur watch. It should be fatter font like this.
    [​IMG]

Edited May 22, 2015
  17. Maganator May 22, 2015

Enjoy it. Congratulations

18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 22, 2015

I also heard about the nail polish trick but have never seen it done or results. If it matters to you I would strongly suggest a professional restoration, specially since you got a very good price to start with you can afford stretching it a little. I actually like the cracked look, but as Omitohud mentioned maybe it can damage the watch??? again ask an expert about these things, or wait until one of the watchmakers in the forum throw in their 2 cents. Not that any advice is bad, but great advice is, well, great!

19. michaelmc May 23, 2015

I've never seen a cracked lume that had not been "coated" before. It can be professionally relumed but I'd prefer another dial that was not messed with. The case is over polished but a proper polish with a good tech can bring it back some as to looks. Fat font bezel inserts are pricey unless you can find a deal in an old watchmakers stash. It is what it is and if it brings you joy wearing it that's fine.

20. erpin9 May 23, 2015

Exactly right as I have not seen another Rolex with cracked lumes and it does look unique. I am not sure what caused the lumes to crack? Too much time under the sun?