Forums Latest Members

Cataloging a Watch Collection

1. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 19, 2018

Looking for tips on what all should be cataloged.

I just started this process and I know there are still data missing. This is an example, but looking at it I see I should add the serial number.

Please share what you catalog.

upload_2018-9-19_19-37-39.png

RawArcher likes this.
  2. BenBagbag Sep 19, 2018

Depends on what the purpose of the catalog is changes what I'd add.

You can include purchase price + costs of maintenance and est. value.

Probably also makes sense to include serial numbers somewhere too.

kingsrider and Taddyangle like this.
  3. kkt Sep 19, 2018

Maybe note what bracelet or strap is on it, or came with it but isn't on it at the moment.

Taddyangle likes this.
  4. gostang9 Sep 19, 2018

I would include:

- full Model # (assuming part of goal is for estate planning) as non-WIS could find it difficult to compare vs the many other similar models.
    - build year (as close as possible)
    - amount invested
    - current estimated resale value

Taddyangle likes this.
  5. Canuck Sep 19, 2018

If your collection of both watches, possibly clocks, and jewellery (if any) is large, making a data base is very helpful in preparing a codicil for use in determining who gets what, when your executor is dealing with your estate. Listing your instructions for bequeathing individual items among your personal effects in a will, can make preparing your will very complicated. You simply include your instructions with each item listed, in your codicil. When we listed our “stuff”, (hers and mine) in a data base, I was astonished at how much we have gathered over 50+ years of marriage.

To facilitate dealing with the items you are leaving in your estate, including a picture of each item in your data base can help your executor identify the item(s) in your data base. Without pictures, your data base could be very difficult to use, for someone who is not familiar with the listed items,

Edited Sep 19, 2018
    Taddyangle likes this.
  6. repoman Sep 19, 2018

Good topic... I've not done a good job cataloging, mainly because I'm an all-the-way guy, or nothing. My hope is that one day I have enough time to catalog literally every piece of information I can possibly include, this would include digital scans of all paperwork, pictures of boxes, pictures of movement, itemize everything that came with the watch initially, any changes I've made over time, etc. This would be more realistic if I had fewer watches :D

Taddyangle likes this.
  7. Gordon Heavyfoot Sep 20, 2018

I also include a most important column in the record designed to provide me quick information pertaining to the potential fallout should the wife find the record and realize the true extent of the price paid for the watch. For example, "IL" for Interminable Lecture on financial responsibility, "WS" for Withholding of Sex for an indeterminate time, "PM" for Physical Maiming, "EW" for Emotional Warfare, and "D" for...well, this has several possible meanings, all catastrophic.

OHS, Taddyangle and queriver like this.
  8. McKinley Sep 20, 2018

At least you did say "The Big C" for castration. LOL

McK

9. chanbar Sep 20, 2018

This is very useful! I’ve been thinking of cataloging my collection and will use something similar in addition to the tips above! Now to just have the time while dealing with toddlers!

Taddyangle likes this.
  10. Donn Chambers Sep 20, 2018

I’m surprised you don’t note the serial number, in case the watch is stolen and you need to report it to the police and insurance claims. A serial number is much better for that than a simple description. I also think the full model number and (not nickname) would be advisable, and also price paid and current value.

I do this for all my expensive watches on an index card that I keep in my safe deposit box.

Just my opinion, though.

Taddyangle likes this.
  11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Sep 20, 2018

Guys, thanks for all the feedback. It is taking me much longer than I thought to populate all the data fields for each watch. I really wish I would have started something like this 5+ years ago when I started to collect watches. I will add purchase price, and probably current value. My only hesitation on current value is that my collection is pretty static now and I do not keep up on pricing, unless I see a for sale add on OF of a watch I own. Also, since a few of my watches are LE w/ specific numbers, I will also add a column for LE#.

Based on the feedback, I will also add a tab for each watch, and within that tab I will include pics and other details of the watch. I will need to give more thought on exactly what those detail might be, but it would include a pic of service receipts and details on the watchmaker that serviced the watch, stuff like that.

upload_2018-9-20_9-23-36.png

gostang9 likes this.
  12. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 20, 2018

I usually download a page from the Omega Vintage Archive and make notes on the sheet. Serial number, price paid, price sold (if applicable), parts numbers (crystal, crown, etc). I keep this in a binder with other research information.
    I do like the spread sheet approach. It makes sense to do it that way for insurance purposes.

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  13. Dgercp Sep 20, 2018

I find simple is better. I include: 1.make/model/year 2. serial 3.price paid/year purchased 4.service hx 5.Misc-includes if box, papers, archive,,unique features etc. I then distribute an updated version to my wife and son every 6 months or so.

14. Dan S Sep 20, 2018

I'd be inclined to include the things required to make a decent sales listing, like case size/material, movement caliber, year of manufacture, etc.

15. Dan S Sep 20, 2018

Spoken like a true Omega collector. ;)

16. kkt Sep 20, 2018

"S" for Shoes, "P" for Purses, and "J" for Jewelry could also be involved.

17. gostang9 Sep 20, 2018

I wonder how many need an additional column to record "what I told the wife I paid"... ;)

kkt likes this.
  18. gostang9 Sep 20, 2018

You got the name right, wonder why Omega got it so wrong? Gemini what? ;)