Forums Latest Members
  1. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 6, 2014

Hi Guys!
    Got curious to hear ideas what this marking indicates!
    168.017 is clear to me, and most of the other symbols. But what is the "S.F." marking?

::confused2::

IMG_3002.JPG

I have not seen S.F. indicated before?

The watch is this one:
    IMG_2842.JPG IMG_2841.JPG

2. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 6, 2014

Not to spoil the fun, but I think I found some hint that SF indicates the case maker as "Schmitz Freres" in Grenchen, Switzerland!?

Anyone still having some info to fill in please feel free!:thumbsup:

Leeroy likes this.
  3. ainterian Mar 6, 2014

Not sure if its a grainy photo, but the black looks to be painted on the furniture vs onyx.

4. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 6, 2014

Sorry, bad photo... No paint there. (Verified with microscope). Black onyx inserts (visible as square boxes rising up between the silver indexes. No way to make paint "square" and uniformly so). :)
    IMG_2996.JPG IMG_2994.JPG

5. Dablitzer Mar 6, 2014

I think the photos are beautiful :thumbsup:

Northernman and ainterian like this.
  6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 6, 2014

No answer for you from me (sorry). Just wanted to comment: I know there's a lot of pie-pan-dog-leg-lug-loving freaks on this forum (and I mean that in a nice way!) but I personally LOVE C-cases with 564's holding a textured dial!
    If that is yours, congrats and Dibberz! If it's not yours, it should be!

Northernman likes this.
  7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 6, 2014

Just found this site re: PloProf case:
    "The Ploprof case patent (CH480680) was registsred in 1967 and the cases were manufactured by Schmitz Freres in Grenchen, Switzerland (denoted by the SF stamped on the inside of the caseback)."
    <http://www.ploprof.com/PloProf.html>

Northernman likes this.
  8. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 6, 2014

It's mine alright!
    I guess I am too young to not like the C-cases! Sold one to a distinguished Scottish member of this forum some weeks ago, and missed it. This one came up on auction, a little sad looking, but with potential. The 564 is ticking soooo sweetly!
    Still need to get the black infill on the minute hand sorted, and do a little more cleaning (careful use of Rodico) to remove the remains (from the hand infill?) on the dial, but I am getting there soon:) !
    Not planning on selling this one.

Alpha likes this.
  9. ainterian Mar 6, 2014

I agree the C cases are quite nice! Saw one on a gray nato strap that was surprisingly beautiful!

[​IMG]

10. Dablitzer Mar 6, 2014

I had a near nos one with original box and buckle a while back. Sold it on. It still haunts me... There just wasn't the love for them a year ago... But I knew there would be a revival! ;)

11. ulackfocus Mar 6, 2014

C-cases are C-licious! ®

Hijak, dantaspaulo and Dablitzer like this.
  12. Dablitzer Mar 6, 2014

Damn.. Beat me to it !!! :D

13. Dablitzer Mar 6, 2014

#piepandemonium ;)

Edit: the "demon" part of the word is quite apt since it's how you get trying to find the buggars!

ulackfocus likes this.
  14. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 6, 2014

Nice to C I am not alone in this love affair!::love::
    I think it is like this with many of Gerald Genta's designs. They kind of grow on you over time.

I must admit that I was not too thrilled with the C-cases myself some time ago, but after c-ing them in the flesh, and also wearing them over time, they got me!
    It is something about how these wear. At a case width of, let's say 35mm, they wear much larger, and still extremely comfortable.
    I have one on my wrist as I am typing this. Normally I take other (more bulky) watches off by instinct when I am using my computers. Not with a proper C on the wrist.....

15. dantaspaulo Mar 6, 2014

My C is my favourite watch ever (not that I have that many, but still); it's being serviced right now and I miss it terribly. :(

Northernman likes this.
  16. KarlsKrone Apr 19, 2018

I do have a similar C-Case Constellation - with a white gold bezel. But the caseback reads the S.F., too.

It's really amazing to find all that valuable knowledge here!! Thanks!!