Forums Latest Members
  1. poolside13 Apr 10, 2014

Hello all,
    My first post here as a newly develop Vintage Omega fan.

I recently bought a pile of watches from a guy and in it was the Omega that is literally beat to death with the crystal missing. Although still alive, it was clear that it was going to need quite a bit of love. I did finally get it opened and found that it was a CAL 491, serial in the 16,000,000 range which I learned is approx 1958 +/-.

What is strange to me is that I can find zero reference to the case number anywhere, including the vintage db. Case back is stamped 14736-61. There are also a ton of numbers etched in the inside back by hand.

I can also find absolutely zero images on the web that are representative of the dial on this watch, except one that was sold on eBay, but that dial was black.

Does anyone have any answers?

Could it be a frankenwatch?
    Could this already have a refinished dial?
    Why can't that case ref be located anywhere (including Otto Frei and Omega)?

I also recently acquired an Omega bumper date at 6 for $200. Is there a way to quickset the date? I assumed no, and did not want to yank hard on the crown, so I maybe inappropriately spun and spun the stem to bring the date current, and all of sudden it got real tight and difficult to turn. At that point I stopped and was seeking help there as well.

Any insight to any of the above would be of great appreciation!

Omega_Question.jpg
  2. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 10, 2014

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 10, 2014

One thing I am very sure: That dial has been refinished. (Would you post a pic of inside case back?)

Yes, there is one way to set date on that early Seamaster date@6, keep turning until the cannon pinion worn out !!!

4. poolside13 Apr 10, 2014

Thanks,
    You think the dial has been refinished? Any idea on what it should be?
    Here is the inside of the case back.

IMG_3121.JPG
  5. poolside13 Apr 10, 2014

And... Do you have a recommendation on who could restore it. Obviously its beyond original at this point. Would just like to make her a new home on my wrist. The dial as is wouldn't really work :)

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 10, 2014

Sorry for the hijack, but your dial have me déjà vu!
    [​IMG]

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 10, 2014

Another shot at the movement and how it was attached to the case, please.

The case ref number indicates that it was around 1961 which fits into caliber 55X SC no date (not 491 sub sec). Let's see yours is a franken or not ?

8. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 10, 2014

9. poolside13 Apr 15, 2014

Here is the movement in the case. Sorry for the delay. Got the damn flu from the kids and was laid out :(

20140414_225519.jpg 20140414_225600.jpg
  10. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 15, 2014

At least a service and good cleaning is needed! That is one dirty looking movement!:oops: